Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 349298

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I just got satellite TV.  Spike use to run the boys on Sat and Sun but it doesn't look like they do anymore. 

Does any other networks ever run episodes?

Currently, SpikeTV has exclusive national cable rights to the Columbia shorts.

Local markets like WCIU-TV Chicago and WSBK-TV Boston are the only other broadcast options for the Columbia shorts.

This site's Events and TV forum reports upcoming Stooges appearances on national cable channels like Turner Classic Movies, AMC, Spike, HBO Comedy, Encore Westerns, etc..

Offline augie

Hi Folks;

I was wondering for a while, after reading books about the Three Stooges, and how sad it was for Curley's health to deteriorate
the way it did, and the fact that he died so young.

My question is, how much does anyone think that the actual physical comedy caused his strokes?
I know I read that lots of times, there were really physical things that they did, and sometimes they hurt.
But, set against Curley's apparent bad health maintenance, I wonder how the two problems actually figured into his demise.

Just wondering if anyone had any insight into this, or it had been researched that much.
Thanks.

Offline busybuddy

Hi Folks;

I was wondering for a while, after reading books about the Three Stooges, and how sad it was for Curley's health to deteriorate
the way it did, and the fact that he died so young.

My question is, how much does anyone think that the actual physical comedy caused his strokes?
I know I read that lots of times, there were really physical things that they did, and sometimes they hurt.
But, set against Curley's apparent bad health maintenance, I wonder how the two problems actually figured into his demise.

Just wondering if anyone had any insight into this, or it had been researched that much.
Thanks.

Curly had some major health problems beginning in 1945 such as extreme hypertension, a retinal hemorrhage, high blood pressure, and obesity. I'd say that these are most likely related to his life-style, not the physical comedy. The only real hit that the Stooges ever took was a slap. Boxers and pro-wrestlers suffer much more than that and most of them turn out fine. I think that any theory that says Curly's health deteriorated because of the hits and slaps was created merely to sell books.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Curley91

From what I can remember reading in Moe's biography, although Curly and Larry took most of the hits, he was the one who got seriously hurt most often. 

The most notable incident is in "Pardon My Scotch," when Curly saws the table he was standing on in half.  Moe takes a very painful spill, and actually broke his ribs.
Another one was in "Beer And Pretzels," when he gets hit by the salt shaker, and falls backwards into the table. I think he was pretty injured from that one too.   

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
From what I can remember reading in Moe's biography, although Curly and Larry took most of the hits, he was the one who got seriously hurt most often. 

The most notable incident is in "Pardon My Scotch," when Curly saws the table he was standing on in half.  Moe takes a very painful spill, and actually broke his ribs.
Another one was in "Beer And Pretzels," when he gets hit by the salt shaker, and falls backwards into the table. I think he was pretty injured from that one too.   

I always wondered if Moe was hurt from that fall off the table, since you can tell that no stunt double was used.  I guess he was.   :(

Since Moe and Larry lived to be somewhat old, I think that the "Died from being slapped and punched" idea is ridiculous.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline locoboymakesgood

I always wondered if Moe was hurt from that fall off the table, since you can tell that no stunt double was used.  I guess he was.   :(

Since Moe and Larry lived to be somewhat old, I think that the "Died from being slapped and punched" idea is ridiculous.
A lifetime of smoking is what did Moe in and Larry's alcoholism took it's toll over time resulting in his numerous strokes.

Larry even talks about Moe being injured in his 1973 interviews.. interesting stuff. The only occasions I knew the Boys to get hurt was Moe in Pardon My Scotch and Shemp in Brideless Groom, when Christine McIntyre slaps the shit out of him.

The stunt doubles in Three Little Pigskins were all injured during the scene when they get tackled.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
A lifetime of smoking is what did Moe in and Larry's alcoholism took it's toll over time resulting in his numerous strokes.

Ah, I see.  Old age (they were both in their 70's when they died) didn't have anything to do with it.

(Sorry to be critical, loco, but I don't buy into that brain-washing propaganda.)

xraffle

Ah, I see.  Old age (they were both in their 70's when they died) didn't have anything to do with it.

(Sorry to be critical, loco, but I don't buy into that brain-washing propaganda.)

Yeah, he must be loco! lol, only kidding.

Anyway, Moe died from lung cancer, so it was pretty obvious that his smoking was the cause of his death. Larry died from a massive stroke. While Moe and Larry were old, that really wasn't the main cause of their death. One thing I know for sure is that old age certainly wasn't the cause of Curly's death.

Offline busybuddy

Larry even talks about Moe being injured in his 1973 interviews.. interesting stuff. The only occasions I knew the Boys to get hurt was Moe in Pardon My Scotch and Shemp in Brideless Groom, when Christine McIntyre slaps the shit out of him.

The stunt doubles in Three Little Pigskins were all injured during the scene when they get tackled.

There are a lot of injuries that the Stooges indured too, Curly split his head open when he fell down the elevator shaft in 3 Dumb Clucks, Larry had a fountain pen stick in his head in Heavenly Daze, Moe severely injured his ankle while in high heels in Self-Made Maids, Larry had one of his teeth punched out in Three Little Pigskins, Joe Besser splintered his hand (of course he gets the whimpiest injury) in Horsing Around, and Curly-Joe and landed on top of Larry when they fell off the back of a chariot in The Three Stooges Meet Hercules.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I apologize for coming across as so sarcastic, Loco.  I guess I need this holiday vacation even more than I thought.  I haven't taken one since last Christmas (other than a handful of three-day weekends), and I'm burnt out.  That's still not really a good excuse for being rude, though, and I am sorry for that.

I should explain that I don't buy into the theory that smoking causes lung cancer.  I'm not saying that smoking tobacco is necessarily the best thing you can choose to do in life, but most of the claims you hear regularly spewed through the media are horse shit.  There is a puritanical mindset that has taken over this country in the past fifty years, and those who embrace it are not above lies and gross exaggerations to achieve their goals.

I don't really have time to go into the subject more right now, but if you or anyone else is interested in discussing that further, I'd be happy to start a new thread on it in a few days, after I've had a chance to rest up.  By then I should be better mannered.   :angel:

xraffle

I should explain that I don't buy into the theory that smoking causes lung cancer.  I'm not saying that smoking tobacco is necessarily the best thing you can choose to do in life, but most of the claims you hear regularly spewed through the media are horse shit.  There is a puritanical mindset that has taken over this country in the past fifty years, and those who embrace it are not above lies and gross exaggerations to achieve their goals.

Well, I guess it can lead to lung cancer, but I'm not 100% sure about it. However, most people that have lung cancer were heavy smokers. So, there seems to be some connection. But you can be a smoker all your life and never get cancer. It's not like, you smoke, it's a sure thing that you'll get cancer. Like my uncle, for example. He's been smoking since he was a teenager. He's now in his late 50s and he has never been diagnosed with lung cancer. And he is one heavy smoker too. He can't live 1 minute without a cigarette. So, I guess it all depends on the individual.

And one thing I find sooo weird is that, according to the news, everything today causes cancer. They say that things such as teflon and charcoal barbecuing all cause cancer. Well, I cook almost everyday with a teflon pan and I barbecue every summer. Does that mean I have cancer?! It's rediculous!

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
I would like to throw my two cents in on this cancer topic.  It all has to do with your own body chemistry.  I am 50 years old and have been a smoker since I was the age of eleven.  I am now up to two packs a day and have been that way for the past 8-9 years went in for the smokers test and aced it not a sign of cancer.  So I agree with XRaffle and others that TV information is a buch of Horse muffins they just want to sell you a bunch of drugs for no reason.

Now that I have stated my opinion could it be possible that I ask a question please also?  Thank you.

I have read contridicting writings on this, was there at one time in Shemp's solo career that he was permanently booted out of a night club?, and if so could someone please tell me the name of it?  Just the other day at work a guy friend that I work with brought up the topic and I said no and he said yes but did not know the name of the club.  I would really appreciate a response to my question.

Thanks everyone and have a Blessed Christmas and the Best Of 2008.

Diane Hoekstra

Moron4392

[3stooges] (Love these smileys).

[pie]

xraffle

I would like to throw my two cents in on this cancer topic.  It all has to do with your own body chemistry.  I am 50 years old and have been a smoker since I was the age of eleven.  I am now up to two packs a day and have been that way for the past 8-9 years went in for the smokers test and aced it not a sign of cancer.  So I agree with XRaffle and others that TV information is a buch of Horse muffins they just want to sell you a bunch of drugs for no reason.

Couldn't agree with you more. A karma point for you!

Curley91

Curly split his head open when he fell down the elevator shaft in 3 Dumb Clucks, Larry had a fountain pen stick in his head in Heavenly Daze, Moe severely injured his ankle while in high heels in Self-Made Maids, Larry had one of his teeth punched out in Three Little Pigskins, Joe Besser splintered his hand (of course he gets the whimpiest injury) in Horsing Around, and Curly-Joe and landed on top of Larry when they fell off the back of a chariot in The Three Stooges Meet Hercules.

I just thought of another injury in "Three Little Pigskins."  Curly broke his leg after his ride down the dumb-waiter. 

Offline augie

Hi guys-

Right now, I'm logged in with my account. I'm a little bit upset, because I post something, the email
in my account says it's there, and the thing is no where to be found.

Do they automatically get cut, and moved to the appropriate thread section?
Can someone notify people thru email when they do??? Otherwise, if it gets moved, how am I supposed to find it?

Ok, I'll ask again, if no one minds.
Can someone comment on the relationship between Joe Besser, and Joe DeRita, towards the  end of their
lives?  Did they make any appearances? Did they even have a friendly relationship?

More to the point, why was Besser at the Hollywood Walk of Fame / Star ceremony, and not DeRita?
No one that reported the event seemed to make mention of DeRita. I know he was alive then.

Thanks.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Quote from: augie
Right now, I'm logged in with my account. I'm a little bit upset, because I post something, the email
in my account says it's there, and the thing is no where to be found.

Do they automatically get cut, and moved to the appropriate thread section?
Can someone notify people thru email when they do??? Otherwise, if it gets moved, how am I supposed to find it?

Hi Augie -

I'll leave your question for some of the other members, since I don't really know the answer myself, but I would like to see if I can help with this part.  I need some more info, though, so I can try to find out what happened.

Was your post asking the same questions as this one?  Where did you post it?  Was it on this thread?

If you can fill me in with a little more detail, I'd like to track it down.  Nothing is supposed to be cut automatically, so it that's what happened there's a glitch that I need to fix.  But I need to know where to look first.   ;D

- Dunrobin

Offline benjilbum

In fact Besser and DeRita never met in person. They both worked at the same studio for years and lived only a few blocks from each other in retirement, but never met. There were fans that offered to introduce them, but neither was interested. Curly-Joe was invited to the Stooges star unveiling, and wanted to attend, but was unable to because of ill health. Due to obesity and near-blindness it was hard for him to even leave his home. However, his devoted wife Jean did attend for him.

Offline benjilbum

Sorry, your facts are incorrect. Larry was not an alcoholic. In fact a friend of his said of him "he will hardly take a sip of champagne on New Years". His wife Mabel was a lifelong and serious alcohol abuser, and was abusive toward him when drunk, which he tolerated. Probably because he was too nice of a guy. Perhaps her drinking was part of the reason he never imbibed. Larry said he did drink during prohibition when he was young, but quit for good [3stooges] when it ended.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Quote from: xraffle
Well, I guess it can lead to lung cancer, but I'm not 100% sure about it. However, most people that have lung cancer were heavy smokers. So, there seems to be some connection. But you can be a smoker all your life and never get cancer. It's not like, you smoke, it's a sure thing that you'll get cancer. Like my uncle, for example. He's been smoking since he was a teenager. He's now in his late 50s and he has never been diagnosed with lung cancer. And he is one heavy smoker too. He can't live 1 minute without a cigarette. So, I guess it all depends on the individual.

And one thing I find sooo weird is that, according to the news, everything today causes cancer. They say that things such as teflon and charcoal barbecuing all cause cancer. Well, I cook almost everyday with a teflon pan and I barbecue every summer. Does that mean I have cancer?! It's rediculous!

The key issue is causality.  It has not been proven that smoking causes cancer, and examples such as those you and Moron4392 offer help to demonstrate that.  I imagine a lot of people could offer similar examples.  My great-uncle was a chain smoker all of his life (I like to joke that he only needed one match a day), but he died of old age at 83, with no sign of cancer.  My mother on the other hand, never smoked a day in her life, and didn't allow smoking around her, but she died of lung cancer at 72.

In considering what I refer to as the propaganda in the media, you have to pay attention to what they are actually claiming and whether it actually makes sense.   Even when they may be stating a "truth", they often exaggerate it or give it an unwarranted emphasis to heighten a sense of alarm in their audience.

For example -- and I want to emphasize that I any just pulling numbers out of thin air right now to make a point -- they may claim that smokers are 100 times more likely to develop cancer than non-smokers, but they never tell you want the chances actually are of non-smokers getting cancer.  But if the chance of the ordinary non-smoker is only .1% (one in 1000), then an "average" smoker's chance would be 10% (one in 10).  That's significantly higher, obviously, but notice that also means that 90% of the time the smoker does not develop cancer.  Hardly a proof of causality, yet the claims of the prohibitions imply that if you smoke you are almost certainly going to get cancer.

Prohibitionists spout statistics all the time, because that is all they've got and statistics can be easily manipulated.  You also have to consider the source of the alleged data, and what motivations they may have.  A traditional question to always keep in mind is Quo bono?  Who benefits?  The government bureaucracies benefit from gaining additional control over people's lives.  Agencies whose only purpose is to promote the prohibitionists' agenda benefit from government "grants" -- money stolen from the "taxpayers", thus forcing us to pay for the propaganda they spew over us.

Again, my point isn't that smoking is healthy, but rather that the risks have been grossly overstated and in the choice of a lot of people, the perceived benefits outweigh the risks.  I am 52 and have been smoking since I was 17; I average a pack a day, and maybe even a little less at times.  So far I show no signs of developing cancer, but that doesn't mean that I won't eventually, especially considering that my mother developed it without smoking.  It is a risk that I choose to take, however (something is going to get me eventually.)

My original point, which I expressed so badly, was that Moe died of lung cancer at 78, a perfectly respectable age.  That doesn't sound as though smoking all of his life necessarily shortened it, and if he enjoyed smoking what was the real harm?

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"

I think that some weaker bodies are subject to getting cancer, that's all.

Another case in point:

My Grandmother died when she was 97 years old...and smoked about 80 of those years.  She didn't have any type of cancer in her body.  I think her heart just gave out since she was old.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline JazzBill

My mother died of emphysema at the young age of 57, which was caused by smoking. My grandmother ( on my dads side ) died at the age of 94, a smoker all her life, smoking had nothing to do with her death. Like Moe Hailstone, I believe it all has to do with your genetic make up. After smoking for over 40 years, and not knowing which side of the family I would take after, I was finally able to quit about 5 years ago.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

xraffle

My original point, which I expressed so badly, was that Moe died of lung cancer at 78, a perfectly respectable age.  That doesn't sound as though smoking all of his life necessarily shortened it, and if he enjoyed smoking what was the real harm?

Yeah, 78 is an old age. However, cancer does shorten someone's life. I know someone from my building who died at age 60 because she had cancer. Not sure what cancer it was. I didn't get all the details, but it wasn't lung cancer. So, Moe would've probably lived longer if he didn't have lung cancer. What caused the lung cancer, I don't know as you bring up a very good point how smoking doesn't necessarily cause it.

The key issue is causality.  It has not been proven that smoking causes cancer, and examples such as those you and Moron4392 offer help to demonstrate that.  I imagine a lot of people could offer similar examples.  My great-uncle was a chain smoker all of his life (I like to joke that he only needed one match a day), but he died of old age at 83, with no sign of cancer.  My mother on the other hand, never smoked a day in her life, and didn't allow smoking around her, but she died of lung cancer at 72.

I take back what I said on my earlier post about smoking being the cause of Moe's death. That example you gave about your great-uncle and mother is very interesting one. That crazy media does indeed "brain wash" us because it's very rare that they mention non-smokers being diagnosed with lung cancer.

Offline augie

Thanks for your reply.

That helps clear up for me, what happened at the star ceremony, and who was there.

Was Joe DeRita's wife ever put in the spotlight, or did she ever get to speak for her husband at the ceremony?
It gets confusing, because it took me a while to sort when the last 2 passed, and
when the ceremony took place.

I vaguely remember when Joe DeRita passed.
So, DeRita and Besser never met or worked together? It would seem that they would've,
in their past careers at some time.

Thanks.

Offline benjilbum

Happy Holidays All: Jean DeRita did say a few words in her husbands behave at the star ceremony. It was in 1983. I have some brief footage of the entire affair and will soon post it on You Tube. I have put some other rare Stooge stuff there under the moniker "benjilbum". Besser passed away in 1988 and Curly-Joe in 1994. The former of a heart attack in his home, the later at the same hospital where Larry died in 1975. Curly-Joe died of multiple health concerns. At least they had happy retirements and lived to advanced ages. Moe never really retired. He lived to the advanced age of 78, and was thankfully in good health until just before he passed.

Offline s-mac

Sorry if this has been asked before, but where can you find 3 stooges videos(Colombia Shorts + Movies and Later Episodes as well) that you can put on your ipod?(MP4's, or .Mov's)