Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 338613

Offline 3Stooges

02flhri,

This film you're talking about is "ALL THE WORLD'S A STOOGE".

Offline garystooge

Can someone fill me on the progress of the effort to put the Stooges on a U.S. commemorative stamp?  I saw mention of it on a 1998 Stooges Journal, but I haven't been able to find any concrete information since.  Are there efforts still afoot to help make this a reality?

There are no current organized initiatives by fans to lobby for a Stooge postal stamp.  But that doesn’t necessarily mean that there will never be a Stooges stamp.
     Stamp honorees are chosen by the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee.  They meet behind closed doors and consider proposed honorees that have been submitted by the public.  There are a number of guidelines that they follow but it is unclear if they are influenced by the sheer number of people who write in supporting any given candidate. For that reason, letter-writing campaigns (which we’ve undertaken for the Stooges in the past) may be of absolutely no help at all.
     One ironclad rule is that candidates must be dead for at least ten years before they can be honored on a stamp. The only exception to this is deceased US Presidents who can be honored one year after death. Anyway, because of the 10-year rule, the Stooges may not have technically been eligible for a stamp until 2003 because Curly-Joe was still alive until 1993. Even though you’d figure a Stooges stamp would picture Moe, Larry and Curly, the committee may not have started the Stooges’ clock until after all of its members were dead.
    After the committee chooses a subject to honor, it can then take 3-4 years before a stamp is issued. This is because of the time involved in deciding how to picture the honoree (young, old, etc) review possible designs and the like.  There isn’t a lot of advance notice that someone is being honored until a public announcement is made. For that reason, there’s an outside chance that the Committee has already selected to honor the Stooges and is in the design process stage, but hasn’t yet made the official announcement. There’s also a chance that the Stooges are still under consideration for a future stamp. Of course, there’s also the possibility that the Stooges will never be honored on a stamp. Only a few subjects are honored each year and there are thousands of worthy nominees. And of course the committee could be afraid of negative publicity that a Stooges stamp could generate for the Postal Service (imagine the headlines “One Group of Stooges Honors Another….USPS to Issue Three Stooges Stamps”).
    For more info on the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee and the honoree selection process, go to: http://www.usps.com/communications/organization/csac.htm

Pilsner Panther

Gary, I think that we Stooges fans all ought to get together on e-mailing the Postal Service poohbahs for a Stooges stamp! It's high time! Quite a few other entertainers from that era have already been on a stamp, and the Stooges are getting short shrift (or, the short end of the shtick).

Even cartoon characters have had their own stamps— the Looney Toons gang, Krazy Kat, and a few others.

I'm going to put up a poll on this issue. Let's see what kind of response we get, and maybe that'll have some results, in that people might actually get motivated to do something. It can't do any harm!

Personally, I say that a stamp isn't enough; we ought to go for the big-time (in the trade, this is what we call "quick and dirty" graphics, as I spent a whole 45 minutes on it, but it gets the point across).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 03:09:56 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline FineBari3

Fantastic post, Gary!  I taught American Government and didn't know that about having a President on a stamp only right after they died. (Yes, I was a teacher!)

Rob, even though it was a 45 minute job, you STILL have too much time on your hands! It was GREAT, though!!!!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Pilsner Panther

Fantastic post, Gary!  I taught American Government and didn't know that about having a President on a stamp only right after they died. (Yes, I was a teacher!)

Rob, even though it was a 45 minute job, you STILL have too much time on your hands! It was GREAT, though!!!!

That wasn't Rob, it was the lil' ol' counterfeiter, me. I've got to go now, someone's at the door— whaddya know, it's the Secret Soivice!

[stooges]

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
Federal NITWIT Reserve on Pils' $20 speaks volumes on the way the gov't has manipulated (mishandled?) the currency to offset deficits.
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Pilsner Panther

Federal NITWIT Reserve on Pils' $20 speaks volumes on the way the gov't has manipulated (mishandled?) the currency to offset deficits.

As a former Federal Nitwit, I represent that remark!

Offline FineBari3

That wasn't Rob, it was the lil' ol' counterfeiter, me. I've got to go now, someone's at the door— whaddya know, it's the Secret Soivice!

[stooges]

D'OH! I don't know why I keep thinking that you are Rob! Did Rob used to have that same Avatar of Moe back when?

Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline KND7

Does anyone know the name of the song that was playing in the background during the dinner scene in "Termites of 1938"?  Thanks!     ???

Pilsner Panther

[stooges]

D'OH! I don't know why I keep thinking that you are Rob! Did Rob used to have that same Avatar of Moe back when?

The best I can remember, Rob had a different Moe avatar at one time, but not the color one that I use now. My previous avatar (before he last major site upgrade) was Vernon Dent as King Arthur.

Face it, M J, you're over 30 now and you're losing brain cells just like the rest of us old coots...

;)

Offline FineBari3

[stooges]

The best I can remember, Rob had a different Moe avatar at one time, but not the color one that I use now. My previous avatar (before he last major site upgrade) was Vernon Dent as King Arthur.

Face it, M J, you're over 30 now and you're losing brain cells just like the rest of us old coots...

;)

:sad2:

Now that really wasn't nice!

(and continuing to burn brain cells)  [pot]
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Does anyone know the name of the song that was playing in the background during the dinner scene in "Termites of 1938"?

Per Rich Finegan, in his article "The Three Stooges Meet Frederic March: More Three Stooges Film Music Identified," in The Three Stooges Journal # 89 (Spring 1999)...
http://threestooges.net/journal.php?action=view&id=89

Two themes were used:
 - Flirtation by Columbia composer/musical director Victor Schertzinger
 - Paula, also by Victor Schertzinger

Pilsner Panther

Does anyone know the name of the song that was playing in the background during the dinner scene in "Termites of 1938"?

Per Rich Finegan, in his article "The Three Stooges Meet Frederic March: More Three Stooges Film Music Identified," in The Three Stooges Journal # 89 (Spring 1999)...
http://threestooges.net/journal.php?action=view&id=89

Two themes were used:
 - Flirtation by Columbia composer/musical director Victor Schertzinger
 - Paula, also by Victor Schertzinger

That dinner party music is perfect for the scene, almost as inspired as the choice of "Pop Goes The Weasel" for "Punch Drunks." Even though it was written by a contemporary Columbia in-house composer, it sounds more like something from 1908 than 1938, a composition by Rudolf Friml or Victor Herbert. Just the thing for an "uppah crust" (and pretentious) soiree.

I don't know if this counts as a Stooge Goof, but when we see the band that's supposedly playing it, it's only a trio, while the music on the soundtrack is being played by a fairly large orchestra.

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
Have to agree w/Pils re the music in the dinner scene from "Termites" - sort of an elegant, semi-Rudolf Friml music, one of the few times the Stooges used lengthy incidental scoring in one of their shorts. Somehow, this graceful music heightens the "etiquette" gags, which are mostly visual anyways, though I always laugh when Curly exclaims "Snowshoes!" while taking the paper frills off his lamb. Reminds me of the graceful Le Roy Shield compositions found in Laurel and Hardy's films - e.g. the use of the melodic "On A Sunny Afternoon" during the opening scenes of COUNTY HOSPITAL, where Stan's backfiring car obliterates a posted Hospital Zone, then continues as he (1) trips on the curb (2) can't figure out what "solarium" means (3) mistakes a delivery room for Ollie's hospital room (4) follows up his misunderstanding of "solarium" by asking if Mr Hardy is in the room next to the aquarium, and then (5) gets an aquarium of his own by being soaked by a water cooler.
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Pilsner Panther

:sad2:

Now that really wasn't nice!

(and continuing to burn brain cells)  [pot]

Come on now, m'dear, we're all getting older, aren't we? You're older than you were a minute ago...

First time I might have to censor myself, and delete this post, but— to quote Daffy Duck— "What the hey, I've gotta have some fun!"

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
No way are you gonna censor yourself; that pic is staying up, lol.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Pilsner Panther

No way are you gonna censor yourself; that pic is staying up, lol.

(Takes a bow). All kidding aside, 110 is young for a "toitle:"

http://www.worldhealth.net/p/harriet-the-tortoise-turns-175-2005-12-02.html

This one may have been captured by Charles Darwin— or maybe not. Even if that's only a legend, she was still alive at the time of Darwin (1809-1882), which is pretty damned amazing.

:o

Among living beings, only redwood trees and Kitty Carlisle Hart are older.

Offline FineBari3

Notice how the lady toitle is all recoiled inside her shell!!!!!

(I've had a few nights like that myself!)
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Shemoeley Fine

How does one add an image to one's signature so that the selected picture will appear in one's post as I see many members have?
I went to edit profile and modify areas and couldn't locate the info nor through the help icon.

Proud to be a Bonehead......

S F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

How does one add an image to one's signature so that the selected picture will appear in one's post as I see many members have?
I went to edit profile and modify areas and couldn't locate the info nor through the help icon.

Proud to be a Bonehead......

S F

Go into "Modify Profile," then click on "Forum Profile Information." You'll see a screen where you can either choose an existing picture or add one of your own. Locate the picture on your hard drive, enter the name and the file extension in the field, save it, and you're good to go!

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Shemp, Moe, Curley and Larry Fine=Shemoeley Fine

eeeeb, eeeb!  spread out!!   aaaaaaa aaaaaaaa aaaaaa!!!   oh, my Stradaverius!!!!

Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

Shemp, Moe, Curley and Larry Fine=Shemoeley Fine

eeeeb, eeeb!  spread out!!   aaaaaaa aaaaaaaa aaaaaa!!!   oh, my Stradaverius!!!!

See, that was easy, wasn't it? I explained it so that even you could understand it! (Borrowed that line from Moe, of course.)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Can someone please tell me the name of the short in which the Stooges do the "I am now in Sing-Sing" routine?

HOKUS POCUS (1949).  The footage was reused in FLAGPOLE JITTERS (1956).