jrvass · 9 · 2748

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
:(  I didn't even know he was sick.  :(

http://www.freep.com/news/obituaries/dead22e_20051022.htm

October 22, 2005

Gordon Lee - Porky in 'The Little Rascals'

MINNEAPOLIS -- Gordon Lee, the chubby child actor who played Spanky McFarland's little brother Porky in "Little Rascals" comedies, died Sunday. He was 71 and had lung and brain cancer.

Mr. Lee played one of the younger members in the "Our Gang" shorts in the 1930s, appearing in more than 40 from 1935 to 1939. Among them was "Bored of Education," which won the Oscar for best one-reel short subject in 1937.

The comedies became known as "The Little Rascals" when shown on television in the 1950s. The Porky character is credited with originating the catchphrase "otay."

Mr. Lee was later a schoolteacher.

By the Associated Press

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0497245/

This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
:(  I didn't even know he was sick.  :(

"Porky" lost a lung to cancer a little over two years ago. Recovering at home, he fell and broke his back. But he kept attending MN Sons of the Desert functions, and planned to attend the 2006 International Convention in Augusta GA. Last month, he learned his lung cancer was back and spread to his brain.

The man had a tough life, but he rarely talked about the bad times. I first met Gordon at the 2000 Sons of the Desert International Convention in Seattle/Tacoma, and had several opportunities to listen to his stories over drinks.

I saw him last in February in LA, when he was spending the winter with Butch & Polly Bond at their San Diego-area home. The Bonds' manager/caretaker drove them up to attend the Hollywood Collectors Show in Burbank.  Butch, Polly and Gordon, all three in wheelchairs due to health issues, were in the hotel lobby, checking in a couple days before the show. LA was having a cold & wet weather stretch that week, so I was wearing my L&H sweatshirt. The three of flagged me down, and we wound up talking for a long time in the lobby lounge.

Gordon spoke about the beautiful sunsets he watched from the Bonds' back porch every night. He said the sunset, combined with the lights from the town over the Mexican border was breathtaking... he got choked up describing it. Quite different from the Minnesota sunsets he was used to.

I was really touched by the hospitality that Butch and Polly offered him. The Bonds were certainly in no [health] condition to put themselves out for others... but they did. Butch and Gordon impressed me as a "support team" for each other. They weren't gonna let health problems get in the way of anything!

I last saw Butch Bond in LA in late July, again at the collector show; I wasn't surprised by his passing last month, but it was still a personal shock. I imagine that loss affected Gordon too.

RIP and "O'tay!"

CURLYFAN

I am lucky enough to have an autograph picture of Tommy "Butch" Bond and a autographed picture of the girl with the dutch boy hair cut Maryann Jackson with "Pete" the dog.

I tried to find "porky's" fan mail  address but I had no luck. R.I.P.  PORKY

Is there any of the Little Rascals/Our Gang still alive ???
I know some of then passed away before the age of 20

rvoyttbots

The scenes with Porky and Buckwheat are some of the very best during this phase of Our Gang. They stole the show from the older kids.

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
I am lucky enough to have an autograph picture of Tommy "Butch" Bond and a autographed picture of the girl with the dutch boy hair cut Maryann Jackson with "Pete" the dog.

I tried to find "porky's" fan mail  address but I had no luck. R.I.P.  PORKY

I know some of then passed away before the age of 20

Here is a website with some of the kids http://www.cyranos.ch/ourg-e.htm I haven't searched much but IMDB will probably end up being the best source.

"Oh Miss Crabtree, you are the most ut."

James

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Author, and Stooges fan, James Neibaur posted this current list on other message boards a couple days ago...

Here are as many living Our Gang-ers as I can come up with -- this  includes kids who only made a few appearances, as well as the top names in the series.

Jean Darling, Mildred Kornman, Shirley Jean Rickert, Jackie Cooper, Dorothy DeBorba, Marianne Edwards, Jerry Tucker, Dickie Moore, Robert Blake (Mickey Gubitosi), Jackie Lynn Taylor*, Sidney (Woim) Kilbrick, Leonard (Percy) Landy, Edith Fellows, Gary "Junior" Jasquar, Sonny Bupp, Donald Proffit, Alvin Buckelew

* - NOTE-- the imdb has the credits for Jacquie Lynn and Jackie Lynn Taylor all combined under the name Jacqueline Taylor.  Jacquie Lynn, whose last name was Dufton and who is deceased, appeared prominently with Laurel and Hardy in "Pack Up Your Troubles" and in a few Our Gang films in 1932.  Ms. Taylor came along in 1934 and later hosted a Little Rascals TV show (during the 70s).  The imdb gives the birth date for Jacquie Lynn Dufton, who was born in England, no death date, and credits for both Ms. Dufton and Ms. Taylor.  Ms. Taylor is still living, Ms. Dufton is not.  The bio combines facts for both of them despite these being two different people.  Once again, the imdb is not reliable for research.

NOTES --  Edith Fellows was a top child star in the early 1930s.  Her stint with Our Gang was later on.  Sonny Bupp was featured in Citizen Kane and the Stooges short Cash and Carry.  He is the brother of Tommy Bupp, who is deceased.  Some of the above (Buckelew, Proffitt) were peripheral Gang members during the most noted Spanky-Alfalfa period (mid-to-late thirties).  Jean and Mildred are the only survivors of the silents.  Jackie, Jean, Shirley, and Dorothy the only living members of the early talkies.

JN

Also alive and well, a peripheral OUR GANG member from 1934, is Margaret Kerry.  Margaret appeared in THE NEW 3 STOOGES (1965)... the woman in several of the live-action segments ("Barbers," "Electricians," "Decorators," "Waiters" and "Sunbathers"), and did all the female/juvenile voices in the 156 cartoons.  Her husband Dick Brown was executive producer of THE NEW 3 STOOGES.  In addition, Margaret's children appeared in several of the live-actions, e.g., her son was the ice cream customer in "Salesmen."

Adding to Jim's comments about Edith Fellows, she also worked with the Stooges, but not in films.  Edith was the young girl who appeared with Moe, Larry & Curly in the 1937 ad campaign for Pillsbury's Three Stooges Motion Picture Machine giveaway toy; the publicity stills appear in these issues of The Three Stooges Journal...
http://threestooges.net/journal.php?action=view&id=84
http://threestooges.net/journal.php?action=view&id=85
(trivia -  Edith is the mother-in-law of David Lander, aka LAVERNE & SHIRLEY's "Squiggy")

CURLYFAN

The only "Little Rascal/Our Gang" member that stuck with me was "Froggie", was that his real voice  ??? , if it was how did he get such a low voice at such a young age ???

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
Thanks BeAStooge!   :D

James

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
One more 'peripheral' OUR GANG surviving member, from circa 1934...

Gene Reynolds, producer of M*A*S*H (and ROOM 222, MY THREE SONS, more).