Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Deleted scenes? retrieveable or gone forever?

Offline Shemoeley Fine

First of all, permit me to say that I have been most impressed with the knowledge of the members of the forum. I have been a Stoogemaniac for nearly 50 years, sometimes fanatical, sometimes they were in the far corners of my brain, not since the early 80's have I been Stoogified as much, this site is bringing me back up to speed and thanx to Spike TV I am getting a daily dose of Stooges, next thing is to get my favorites shorts on VHS and or DVD to view w/o fast forwarding thru the commercials and at my heart's desire.

I have known about two deleted scenes, like in Heavenly Daze, the deletion of Moe playing Moses holding tablets, and the  Curly Jr scene in 3 Little Pigskins because it's detailed in the Stooges Scrapbook. Now I've found out that Curley made another cameo in Malice in the Palace and that there are others too. Just as many DVDs of movies feature deleted scenes, are the deleted scenes of Stooges 2-reelers in storage? If so why isn't a deluxe Stooges DVD set released featuring the deleted scenes?  Are the scenes gone forever?

I would say that the Stooges are not only under represented in DVD box sets but are also worthy of a comprehnesive box set with any deleted scenes available, and other trivia and info, alternate takes, blooopers, and the home films I ve seen Jean Howard MAurer show at festivals over the year included too.  One of the founders of this forum should be the person(s) in charge of such a project, a 10, 12 or 15 DVD box set........

I better wake up and go to sleep because I seem to be in a Heavenly Daze.....

Shemoeley Fine

Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I have known about two deleted scenes, like in Heavenly Daze, the deletion of Moe playing Moses holding tablets, and the  Curly Jr scene in 3 Little Pigskins because it's detailed in the Stooges Scrapbook. Now I've found out that Curley made another cameo in Malice in the Palace and that there are others too. Just as many DVDs of movies feature deleted scenes, are the deleted scenes of Stooges 2-reelers in storage? If so why isn't a deluxe Stooges DVD set released featuring the deleted scenes?  Are the scenes gone forever?

Gone forever.

Columbia was a budget studio.  1930s - early 1950s excised footage was recycled to retrieve the negatives' silver content from the nitrate base.  After 1950s conversion to non-nitrate materials, the Stooges' films (and B budget feature fare) simply weren't regarded as economically worthy for retention of edited footage.

Many of the edited, and unfilmed, scenes are preserved via the written word in the scripts.  Jules White's copies of the scripts are housed at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences archives (The Margaret Herrick Library) in Beverly Hills.  In the past few years, The Three Stooges Journal regularly presents transcriptions of these generally unknown gems...

http://threestooges.net/journal.php