Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Worst Episode Opinion

Offline metaldams

By the way Rico, great post.  If you want more literature on Besser Vs. Derita, may I suggest.....

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=2850.0
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline casey0272

So right.  I can't think of one comedian/actor who would have been able to step in, either as a second Curly or a second Shemp.

Offline casey0272

Offline archiezappa

I still can't get over the picture in the book "One Fine Stooge."  It has Moe, Larry and Joe dressed as Navy men.   [3stooges]  The caption reads "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." 

Offline Myren

As a kid in the 80's, I rarely saw Besser shorts, maybe 3 or 4 times.  I don't remember being offended by them the very few times I did and thought they were interesting because they were so rare.

I was the same way, I did not see many Besser shorts when I was younger. And I thought it was weird to see him as the third Stooge. It was a novelty to see him in there.  (Seeing as the first time I saw the Stooges it was with Shemp and thought that was the original line up when I was younger.)

Also did you ever wonder if Shemp had stayed with the Stooges, from the beginning, how it would have turned out? (No Curly shorts) Would they have had such a long run? Would they have gotten into more movies? Or just fizzled out early on?

As for my Worst Stooge Short(s), I would have to go with HOOFS AND GOOFS & HORSING AROUND.

Offline metaldams

Also did you ever wonder if Shemp had stayed with the Stooges, from the beginning, how it would have turned out? (No Curly shorts) Would they have had such a long run? Would they have gotten into more movies? Or just fizzled out early on?

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=3045.0
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Myren

metaldams, sorry did not see that on the board before I wrote that. Thanks for the link.

Offline metaldams

metaldams, sorry did not see that on the board before I wrote that. Thanks for the link.

No problem, thought you'd like that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
Well, this topic has been dormant for at least a year.  But since it was at the top of the page in it's forum anyway, I didn't see any harm in giving it a little bump.

After experiencing all of the Stooge shorts semi-back to back through the DVD sets, I have to say my least favorite is definately Bubble Trouble.  I love the original version, All Gummed Up, but the new ending with the gorilla is just too painful to watch.  And it just keeps going on and on.  First time I saw it, I felt like crying.

Probably the worst non-remake short is Horsing Around.  I have to say that I kind of thought it's prequel, Hoofs and Goofs, was a decent effort.  This sequel, however, is laugh free.  My least favorite non-remake Shemp short is probably Fiddlers Three, which wasn't all that entertaining.

I'm still trying to figure out what my least favorite Curly short is.  I have a few ideas:  Nutty but Nice, Beer Barrel Polecats, and Three Lone Wolves are probably my bottom three.

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
Whoops.  Didn't see this was an archive forum.  Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.  I just looked up at the "Last Posted" corner and it caught my eye.

Offline Stooge-Adam

I'm currently watching all 190 shorts in order. I'm on volume 6 and I came upon a short that was so bad, I suffered through it - "Scramble Brains." Oh, that was horrendous!

Offline metaldams

I'm currently watching all 190 shorts in order. I'm on volume 6 and I came upon a short that was so bad, I suffered through it - "Scramble Brains." Oh, that was horrendous!

You know what they say opinions are like.

I happen to love SCRAMBLED BRAINS.  The phone booth scene and Shemp's proto-psychedelic piano scene are awesome.  To each their own.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HELLOLARRY

Let's see....for me it would be:

Curly.....Rhythm and Weep
Shemp...Rhumpus in a Harem (does that qualify as it is technically 'Shemp-less')?
Joe....Horsing Around (Sweet and Hot would possibly be the obvious choice but I kinda like that one if only for the fact that they are trying something a little different)

Offline Mike Lipincranz

Hey you imbecile.....I resemble that....boink, slap, rip, eye poke......take that you half brother to a weasel.......

Regards,
Mike >:(  [pie]

Offline Stooge-Adam

You know what they say opinions are like.

I happen to love SCRAMBLED BRAINS.  The phone booth scene and Shemp's proto-psychedelic piano scene are awesome.  To each their own.

I may be able to like "Scrambled Brains" on it's own. Maybe viewing it with all the others in a big event, makes some of these shorts get lost in the shuffle. Had I just randomly chosen this short to watch, it might not of been as bad. But all I know is, I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Offline Rich Finegan

I may be able to like "Scrambled Brains" on its own. Maybe viewing it with all the others in a big event, makes some of these shorts get lost in the shuffle. Had I just randomly chosen this short to watch, it might not have been as bad. But all I know is, I couldn't wait for it to be over.
Definitely do give it another chance.
This short is very highly rated by most Stooges fans I know (and that's my opinion, too!)
The piano scene is great!

Offline Blystone

"Scrambled Brains" is one of my top two or three choices for the greatest of Shemp's shorts with the Stooges. Shemp as a total off-the-wall madman, having hallucinations, Moe and Larry aren't sure if he's sane enough to go home (he's not), now what could be funnier than that?

Maybe a late-career appearance by Vernon Dent?

[cool2]

Offline hiramhorwitz

"Scrambled Brains" is one of my top two or three choices for the greatest of Shemp's shorts with the Stooges. Shemp as a total off-the-wall madman, having hallucinations, Moe and Larry aren't sure if he's sane enough to go home (he's not), now what could be funnier than that?
[cool2]
Not to mention the appearance of silent film extra and Larry Fine's retirement home neighbor Babe London!

Offline Stooge-Adam

Maybe a late-career appearance by Vernon Dent?

[cool2]

Just so people here know what I like and dislike reguarding the Shemp shorts...

My Top Five BEST Shemp shorts are:
1. Fuelin' Around
2. Brideless Groom
3. Sing a Song of Six Pants
4. Goof on the Roof
5. Hula-La-La

My Top Five Worst Shemp shorts are: (I've just finished watching "Gypped in the Penthouse")
1. Scrambled Brains
2. Fiddler's Three
3. Cuckoo on a Choo Choo
4. Bubble Trouble
5. Musty Musketeers (not a surprise since it's a remake of Fiddler's Three)

Offline Blystone

There's really someone who doesn't like "Scrambled Brains?" That's understandable if you can't laugh at Shemp, and some people can't... to each their own. However, this is some great Stooging! How can you not crack up even at the supporting cast? Emil Sitka, Vernon Dent, and Babe London? Larry getting pelted on the head with eggs, in a phone booth?

Then there's Shemp's Boogie-Woogie, which is probably only funny to piano players— but it is funny.

[groucho]

Offline Stooge-Adam

There's really someone who doesn't like "Scrambled Brains?" That's understandable if you can't laugh at Shemp, and some people can't... to each their own. However, this is some great Stooging! How can you not crack up even at the supporting cast? Emil Sitka, Vernon Dent, and Babe London? Larry getting pelted on the head with eggs, in a phone booth?

Then there's Shemp's Boogie-Woogie, which is probably only funny to piano players— but it is funny.

[groucho]

Shemp is actually my favorite Stooge and I get a lot of guff from a Curly fan at work for it too.

I just didn't find "Scrambled Brains" to be funny as much as annoying. I'm surprised so many people love it so much.

Offline metaldams

Shemp is actually my favorite Stooge and I get a lot of guff from a Curly fan at work for it too.

I just didn't find "Scrambled Brains" to be funny as much as annoying. I'm surprised so many people love it so much.

I also think SCARMBLED BRAINS was Larry's personal favorite Stooge short.  He did own a personal copy based on what I've read.

Hey, if ya don't like it, ya don't like it.  Most Stooge fans love it and consider it one of the better Shemps.  I'll be holding a tournament that starts on Wednesday, so everybody gets a chance to vote.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooge-Adam

I also think SCARMBLED BRAINS was Larry's personal favorite Stooge short.  He did own a personal copy based on what I've read.

Hey, if ya don't like it, ya don't like it.  Most Stooge fans love it and consider it one of the better Shemps.  I'll be holding a tournament that starts on Wednesday, so everybody gets a chance to vote.

That's good to know about it being Larry's favorite. I was wondering what his favorite short was. I know that Moe's is "You Nazty Spy!" and Curly's is "A Plumbing We Will Go" and Shemp's is "Fright Night." Now I know Larry's. :)

What's everyone's take on my two least favorite Curly's: Back to the Woods and Three Loan Wolves?

ThumpTheShoes

What's everyone's take on my two least favorite Curly's: Back to the Woods and Three Loan Wolves?

The only weak thing about Back to the Woods is the dancing bit.. when they show the girls clapping and truckin' (the thing with the wagging finger).. that always gets an unintended chuckle and a cringe from me.

Three Loan Wolves has always been a favourite of mine. If for no other reason than the offspring crushing Porcupine's cheek with his little hand! And there's the solution for crying: Just change his position from one side to the other! And pineapples with TNT! The Old Oaken Bucket! A genuine Stratosphere! And more!

Offline Stooge-Adam

I've found another bad one... "Hoofs and Goofs." Oddly enough Joe wasn't bad in it. I've been enjoying Joe so far, though it's a little strange without Shemp. I seem to miss Shemp more in the Joe's than I missed Curly in the Shemp's.