Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Worst Episode Opinion

Offline locoboymakesgood

Beer Barrell Polecates is an atrocity. The first half of the short would have had major potential had it been made 4 or 5 years earlier, during Curly's prime. Could have been one heck of a short if they didn't rely so heavily on stock footage.

I like Sweet and Hot, not my favorite and not the best but it has its moments.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Lefty

True, the stock footage in Beer Barrel Polecats is the worst utilization of all stock footage.  As for episodes themselves, allowing one per "Third Stooge," my choices would be "Woman Haters" for Curly, "Cuckoo on a Choo-Choo" for Shemp, and "Hoofs and Goofs" for Joe.

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Gentlemen: ;D

Sirs I would have to agree with you that "Beer Barrel Polecats" was not one of their best.  Stock footage usage sirs was bad.  But gentlemen if I may insert my own personal opinion of worst episodes, it would be the Joe Besser era.  To me sirs he was not a Stooge. (Best era all Shemps).

Thank you gentlemen.  And may your upcoming week be a great one.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

xraffle

Dear Gentlemen: ;D

Sirs I would have to agree with you that "Beer Barrel Polecats" was not one of their best.  Stock footage usage sirs was bad.  But gentlemen if I may insert my own personal opinion of worst episodes, it would be the Joe Besser era.  To me sirs he was not a Stooge. (Best era all Shemps).

Thank you gentlemen.  And may your upcoming week be a great one.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

I agree with you, especially after watching "Horsing Around." But as much as we all hate them, we still would like to see them released on DVD because no stooge collection would be complete without them.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I still think I'm probably the only Stooge fan who can thoroughly enjoy the Bessers. I like all 190 shorts, and even like the Shempless Shemp shorts.

I guess I'm too dedicated.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (XRAFFLE): [pie]

Sir I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer my post.  Sir as much as I do not like the Joe Besser era, I do have to agree they should be inserted on DVD because he was with Larry and Moe and part of The Stooges history.

Again sir thank you for your reply and again sir have a great upcoming week.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [stooges]

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Lets call a spade a spade. Joe Besser was faggy, not funny. If they release a DVD of all Joe's, I'm passing on it.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

xraffle

Lets call a spade a spade. Joe Besser was faggy, not funny. If they release a DVD of all Joe's, I'm passing on it.

James

This is what scares me. Many people are considering the same thing, which is why I'm afraid Sony might not release the Joe's on DVDs. I think they might get half-way through the Shemp shorts and then stop releasing the DVDs due to people not buying them.

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir:  (JRVASS; JAMES): ;D

Sir I do have to whole heartly argee with you.  Besser was nothing but a woose muffin fag.  Sir I never did or will accept him as a Stooge.  I will also pass on his DVD's if they are inserted into the collection.  I sir, have transcribed a few of his shorts and I have put in a few of my editorial comments.  He was a gay boy.  James thank you sir for saying my feelings exactly.  Please sir enjoy the rest of your week.  Sir in closing just would like to say everytime I have read one of your posts they have been fun to read.  You sir have a cool sense of humour.

Good Bye Sir:
Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [pie]

xraffle

Offline RICO987

Me too!!! Please, Sony, if you do see this, please know that there are many, many of us who will buy all 190.  Please do not stop issuing this series until the Columbia years are complete!

xraffle

Me too!!! Please, Sony, if you do see this, please know that there are many, many of us who will buy all 190.  Please do not stop issuing this series until the Columbia years are complete!

Yeah I know. The moderators should ban all members who say they'll pass on the Joe DVDs. Ok, I'm only joking! ;D

Offline Lefty

"If you build it, he will come."  Or in the case of Sony's Stooges DVD's, "If they make it, I will buy."  Even though Joe was a schmo, I still want all 190 Stooges episodes complete and uncut, to see scenes that I haven't "scene" in 35 years at least.

stoogeophile

Dear Sir:  (JRVASS; JAMES): ;D

Sir I do have to whole heartly argee with you.  Besser was nothing but a woose muffin fag.  Sir I never did or will accept him as a Stooge.  I will also pass on his DVD's if they are inserted into the collection.  I sir, have transcribed a few of his shorts and I have put in a few of my editorial comments.  He was a gay boy.  James thank you sir for saying my feelings exactly.  Please sir enjoy the rest of your week.  Sir in closing just would like to say everytime I have read one of your posts they have been fun to read.  You sir have a cool sense of humour.

Good Bye Sir:
Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [pie]

Joe Besser was a gifted comedian, and the most important thing, he didn't try to imitate Curly (as Curly-Joe tried to do) or Shemp, but only did his OWN character, and that is a remarkable aspect of his Three Stooges act. He performed in many TV shows and feature films as well, next to big stars, and that is not something that you get without talent. He was a gentleman in real life, welcomed visitors to his home many times, and received the Walk of Fame star on behalf of the Stooges, and it's a shame many so-called fans didn't understand his unique type of humor.

Offline JazzBill

The Stooges made 190 shorts. If you consider yourself a true Stooge fan, you should want to collect all 190 shorts, I would think. That would include the 16 Besser shorts. I'm not a big fan of Besser, but I would be disappointed if Sony didn't release the Besser shorts.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

xraffle

The Stooges made 190 shorts. If you consider yourself a true Stooge fan, you should want to collect all 190 shorts, I would think. That would include the 16 Besser shorts. I'm not a big fan of Besser, but I would be disappointed if Sony didn't release the Besser shorts.

Exactly. That's why I don't know why people are skipping on it because Joe is "gay" or whatever. We were all begging Sony to release these sets and now that they're finally doing it, people are now deciding they're going to skip sets when they're only $20.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
I hate the Joe Besser shorts (except for the UFO ones) this much.   >:D >:D

I hate having incomplete sets of series on DVD this much.   >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

If Sony releases the Joe Besser shorts I will buy them, just to complete my set...and watch the UFO ones.   [cool]
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline curlysdame

Joe Besser was a gifted comedian, and the most important thing, he didn't try to imitate Curly (as Curly-Joe tried to do) or Shemp, but only did his OWN character, and that is a remarkable aspect of his Three Stooges act. He performed in many TV shows and feature films as well, next to big stars, and that is not something that you get without talent. He was a gentleman in real life, welcomed visitors to his home many times, and received the Walk of Fame star on behalf of the Stooges, and it's a shame many so-called fans didn't understand his unique type of humor.

I agree, Stoogeophile.  Ok, so maybe Joe wasn't exactly Stooges material, but he did have his moments.  I may not be that crazy about his work with The Boys, but I do have a certain respect for him as a comedian; he did bring a different persona to the team, instead of trying to recreate Shemp or Curly.  That 'big sissy' character was totally his own.  C'mon, Joe, the giant sissy, pissing off a much older, more anger-prone Moe?  Somewhat humorous.

As for Joe's resume… he didn't work with the best because of his looks.  Give the guy some credit.  Yeesh.  And I, too, have heard stories that he dedicated much of his time to helping children’s causes, talking to fans, etc. 

Like a lot of people, my thoughts on Joe used to be, "Eeh, I don't like Joe.  He's not a Stooge."  But, when I saw footage of the Star ceremony, it completely changed my mind about him.  I've always felt that, despite the fact that he was only a Stooge for 2 years, he represented them so well that day.  He just came across as thankful and truly appreciative of everyone that was in attendance.  Watching his little speech and hearing him say how his tenure with The Stooges were some of his best years, that the departed Stooges were looking down on them that day, etc, I couldn’t help but think, “Aww, he seemed like such a nice guy.  I guess the word ‘endearing’ would be appropriate.  He gets major kudos from me for all that. 

If Sony puts out the Besser shorts, I'd definitely get them.  I agree Jazz... only a true fan would buy the 16 Bessers.

"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Justin T

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the Besser era either. But I dont hate Joe or his contribution to the Stooges.
Some of his shorts are not that bad IMO

I will gladly buy them when Sony gets to them. I want the entire shorts collection on DVD and I am
greatful that Sony is working toward that goal with the new Collection DVD sets.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

I can see people not liking Besser as a Stooge, really I can.  But in all my years of Stooging, never once have I ever not enjoyed a Besser short for reasons that border on homophobia.  In fact, until now, I never gave Besser's character's sexuality any thought...EVER.  I just don't think he made the greatest Stooge because he wouldn't participate fully in the slapstick, and slightly in his defense, the budgets and script writing of the shorts department weren't exactly at their peak in '56 and '57.  I would say Franklin Pangborn was a character actor who a lot of times, if not exclusively, played gay characters, but Besser?  I mean, look at his Stinky character on the Abbott and Costello Show, (in which he was hysterical) for a blatant example that Besser was a man-child.

I do enjoy a few of the Besser shorts, and have learned to apprecite SWEET AND HOT on a camp level, and I would love to see the Besser shorts released. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I sir, have transcribed a few of his shorts and I have put in a few of my editorial comments.  He was a gay boy.  

For the record, let's put an end to ignorant statements like that... Joe Besser was not gay. And, he and wife Ernestine were happily married for over 55 years.

As for Joe's resume… he didn't work with the best because of his looks. 

Joe had an very busy career, working with some of the best in the business, in vaudeville, on Broadway, on radio, on television, and in film.

In film alone, and only considering feature films in which he starred or costarred, names with whom he shared scenes include...
Ann Miller, Larry Parks, Marjorie Main, Donald O'Connor, Jackie Gleason, Yvonne DeCarlo, Paulette Goddard, Marilyn Monroe, Bing Crosby, Robert Wagner, Ray Walston, Debbie Reynolds, Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, more.

xraffle

For the record, let's put an end to ignorant statements like that... Joe Besser was not gay. And, he and wife Ernestine were happily married for almost 55 years.

Yes, thank you. It's bad enough people put down Joe because of his type of humor, but to call him gay, I find that a bit harsh. Yes, he's no Curly, but he did his best. However, Joe was pretty popular on his solo career, but when he joined the stooges, nobody really cared for him. He's probably just not fit to be a stooge. I've seen him in "The Abbott and Costello Show" and I thought he was pretty funny there.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Don't worry, that's just Diane showing her unending ignorance and closed/simple-mindedness. I knew it would only be a matter of time until she showed her true colors on the boards, just gently pat her on her head and roll your eyes at her.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline curlysdame

Besser was nothing but a woose muffin fag.    He was a gay boy

After reading Diane's post again, I gotta say... yeeah, sounds pretty ignorant.  Please, none of the Stooges were gay.  And besides, acting like a sissy isn't the same thing as being gay;I would know, I live in San Francisco (I've seen gay the likes of which you have never seen before).  Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Joe married the longest out of all the Stooges? 

The way I see it:  55 years with the same woman = incredibly not gay.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

xraffle

Yeah, it's bad enough to say "gay," but to go as far as saying "woose muffin fag!!" I don't know. I agree with metaldams. In my entire life watching the stooges, never have I ever associated homosexuality with any of them. But Diane is a Team Stooge, so we still need to maintain our respect for her, I think. [confused2]