General Boards > Read These First (FAQ)

Worst Episode Opinion

<< < (5/46) > >>

Danl57:
Hello Stooge Fans,
I think that the Stooges worst episode as far as I am concerned is "Woman Haters"  That is the short that i watch the least.  It had some funny parts but I thought that they were too limited on what they could do because they had to rhyme everything. Also, Majorie White was the star, not them.
Just my 2 cents
God Bless,
Danl57

nyuknyuk:
That is your opinion and I accept that. The first time I watched that episode I was not impressed. The second or third time I watched it, "Woman Haters" was intersting. Now it's ome of my favorites curly episode.

Pip Pip:
I'll have to think on the Shemp episodes, but Hoofs & Goofs and Horsing Around would have to be my least favorite Joe shorts, for obvious reasons.  As for Curly shorts, I don't care for Rhythm & Weep or Beer Barrel Polecats.  I'm not fond of the suicide angle for Rhythm, and it seems generally weak, comedy-wise.  Beer Barrel is a cut up mess, and even the "we all put the yeast in" scene looked like a shadow of the comedy team I know and love.

Dog Hambone:
I was looking at one of my VHS tapes last night, & "You Nazty Spy" came on. I started watching it, but as I have done before, I fast forwarded to the next short. It's not really very funny at all. The same goes for the other Hitler short, "I'll Never Heil Again". Perhaps these were funny in context, i.e., wartime some 40 years ago, but in my humble opinion, they do not translate well into the modern era.     

Pilsner Panther:

--- Quote from: Dog Hambone on February 20, 2006, 01:11:04 AM ---I was looking at one of my VHS tapes last night, & "You Nazty Spy" came on. I started watching it, but as I have done before, I fast forwarded to the next short. It's not really very funny at all. The same goes for the other Hitler short, "I'll Never Heil Again". Perhaps these were funny in context, i.e., wartime some 40 years ago, but in my humble opinion, they do not translate well into the modern era.     

--- End quote ---

Huh... well, to each their own, but I think the Stooges' Hitler-Fascism satires are timely again and just as funny as ever, because of the circumstances the free world finds itself in now. Maybe the only difference is that there aren't just three would-be dictators trying to take over the planet right now, but dozens of the bastards.

Also, don't forget that the Stooges were the first comedians to satirize Hitler and Nazism, even before Charlie Chaplin did. A brave and gutsy move by some prominent Jewish-American entertainers, considering that no one knew who would win the war at that point.

The scene in "You Nazty Spy" where Moe transforms himself into Hitler ("Now, let me think,") is one of the greatest bits of political satire ever put on film. It influenced even Monty Python ("The North Minehead By-Election") decades later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version