Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

adding info to the episode database

bbug · 5 · 2040

Offline bbug

Hi All,

Dunrobin - Sorry if this question has come up before.  I couldn't find it the Q & A or FAQ boards.

Let me preface this by saying I love the Episode database you maintain.  It's gotten much more useful over the years, and I refer to it often.  It's a unique, invaluable resource for all us Stooge Fans.  The over all site design has gotten really wonderful.  I really like the dynamic nature of the header - scrolling through great images and quotes.  It really immerses you in Stoogiana.  It's great.

Having said that...

I was watching "Cash and Carry" the other day and noticed there were a few eye pokes.  The database currently lists '0' eye pokes for that short.

Now I know this all seems a bit silly to even be tracking such things, but I'm anal enough to actually enjoy that part of the database.  It's also one of the features that makes this database unique.

As an equally anal database developer, I think it would be more useful to include a message such as 'not logged,' when this field in a given episode record has never been logged - as opposed to listing it as zero.

I'm also anal enough to be willing to go through an entire episode and be exact about about these counts.  Were I to do that, how might I submit that for inclusion in the database without requiring you or others to have do a lot of extra work to enter it into a database record?

Is there a way to tag database entries as "pending"?  This way, any member could submit info easily without it effecting the integrity of the database.  Team Stooge members would be able to easily & quickly review "pending" items, at their leisure.  Records with pending items could be viewed separately only by Team Stooge folks and each pending item would be presented with a radio button triplet - 'accept', 'reject' or 'no change' - enabling someone to vet each individual change one at a time.  Selecting 'no change' would leave the item as 'pending'.  If they are capable of only confirming or denying 2 of 3 pending items, they can do that.  A pair of buttons - 'save' or 'cancel' - would make it possible to finalize the session on that episode record.

Sorry to get so technical, but it's kinda hardwired into my head.  Nowadays, I use Java Server Pages/Servlets/Portlets + PostgreSQL, but regardless of which RDBMS and 'dynamic page' technology you use - PHP, ASP, JSP, Perl/cgi, Ruby on Rails, etc. - they are all basically doing the same thing.  PHP+MySQL is a lot more stable, robust & scalable - not to mention open-source.  It must have been a real pleasure to move on to that from ASP + Access.  Were you using Access before?  I assumed given the exorbitant licensing fees involved, you weren't using SQL Server.  I used to use FoxPro & Visual FoxPro, which I liked a lot, before Microsoft essentially retired it as a supported product.  If you weren't going with a full-fledged RDBMS, FoxPro was one of the best options available in those bygone days.

I do go on...

Anyway - it's just my $0.02 on the issue.

Like I said, this is THE Three Stooges reference - #1 world-wide, as far as I'm concerned.

Kudos on bringing up the 'My Stooges' section, BTW.  It's awesome.  This message post editor is very cool, too - lots of useful features in a very compact & cogent layout! 

Cheers,
bbug

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
That's a hell of a post, bbug.  I'm a little pressed for time right now (I'm at work), so I'll wait to respond in more detail tonight, but you've got some great ideas.  I will be getting back to you!  ;D

Offline goofontheroof

Hmmm, 9 months later, i just found i have a similar problem, but with adding comments about an episode.

Any ideas?. I've got no problems in posting on the forum threads but the episode guide seems to stump me. I cant seem to find any 'add comment' or 'reply' button

I was doing some searching and found something surprsing to me, considering i live in the land downunder:

In 'His first flame'. Daphne pollard in this short was born down here in australia, 10 minutes away from my house!. and on the same birthday - albeit, in 1891!!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Try logging out of the forum, goofontheroof, and then log back in again.  It sounds like the cookie for the rest of the site either didn't get set or expired, even though the forum will still recognize you.  I just tested the feature with my regular user persona and had no trouble starting a comment.  (The link to add a comment on the episode page should be on the right, at the beginning of the comments section.)

Please let me know if you continue to have a problem.