Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Caught Plastered (1931) - Wheeler and Woolsey

Offline HomokHarcos

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0021725/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_1_nm_0_in_0_q_caught%2520plastered

After the financial disappointments of the two solo films, RKO came to their senses and decided to re-team Wheeler and Woolsey. RKO seemed to believe that Bert Wheeler was the star of the team and could be good on his own, turns out audiences preferred them as a duo.

One of my complaints about feature length comedies with classic comedians is that there is not a strong plot, or the main characters are not really involved. In Caught Plastered, my issue is again with the primary plot: Wheeler and Woolsey trying to help a grandmother save her drug store, while some antagonists try to run her out of business so they can take over themselves. One of my main complaints about the Marx Brothers’ films post-Hays Code is that they were turned from chaotic creatures causing havoc into heroes saving the day against the bad guys. It’s odd that that’s how Bert and Bob are portrayed in this film pre-Code.

Ironically, they could have actually made the main plot more funny. When the cops hear about the turnaround, they assume the store converted to a speakeasy, and that’s why their business turned around.
You know what would have made a funny plot? Wheeler and Woolsey trying to help the old lady by actually turning it into a speakeasy. Instead, the boys are actually running a more honest business and the villains are just trying to frame them as bootleggers.

Now that my criticism with the main plot is out of the way, I will give praise to the interactions they have with several customers and as radio entertainers. I really liked the duet with Bert and Dorothy Lee, and I was not expecting to see a drunk Dorothy Lee performance in this fiilm. Another favorite moment of mine is when Bob Woolsey is interacting with Josephine Wittell trying to sell books to her. Lots of energy from her side, and it made me want to see more of them together.

As an animation fan I also enjoyed the opening sequence titles, with a moving train. I’m not sure who made that animation sequence, but my guess would be Van Beuren, as they were distributed by RKO. Best known for their Tom and Jerry cartoons (no, not the cat and mouse).

A step down from Cracked Nuts, it was nevertheless successful at the box office.

Offline NoahYoung

Wheeler and Woolsey trying to help a grandmother save her drug store, while some antagonists try to run her out of business so they can take over themselves.

Hmmm...sounds very similar to Our Gang's HELPING GRANDMA, released the same year. I wonder which one came first.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz