Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Fish Hooky - The Little Rascals - Filming Locations Video

Offline ChrisBungoStudios

Just finished work on my new filming locations then and now video covering the Our Gang / Little Rascals film "Fish Hooky" from 1933. Here's a quick preview:

Offline NoahYoung

Just finished work on my new filming locations then and now video covering the Our Gang / Little Rascals film "Fish Hooky" from 1933. Here's a quick preview:

That amusement park was by the Santa Monica Pier. Stymie told Leonard Maltin back in 1972 that they were tearing it down. Too bad.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

That amusement park was by the Santa Monica Pier. Stymie told Leonard Maltin back in 1972 that they were tearing it down. Too bad.

I believe Stymie was referring to the old "POP" (Pacific Ocean Park) pier.

THIS pier was condemned by the city of LA in the mid 1940s and demolition work was underway when a fire "mysteriously" broke out and burned the remaining parts of the pier to the ground in 1946.

It's unfortunate that nobody back then had the foresight to maintain the pier. It would be a wonderful attraction in the area if it were still with us today.

Offline NoahYoung

I believe Stymie was referring to the old "POP" (Pacific Ocean Park) pier.

I was going by what he said to Maltin according to Maltin's Rascals/Our Gang book, first edition. Stymie's home at Synanon was about a block away.

I was going by what he said to Maltin according to Maltin's Rascals/Our Gang book, first edition. Stymie's home at Synanon was about a block away.

Yep, I know. Figured I would take the opportunity to set the record straight on that one.

Offline NoahYoung

Yep, I know. Figured I would take the opportunity to set the record straight on that one.

Yea, unfortunately those old books have lots of mistakes, even when the info was from the "horse's mouth."

Yea, unfortunately those old books have lots of mistakes, even when the info was from the "horse's mouth."

And, conversely, it's amazing how much they got right WITHOUT the benefit of all the archives, phone directories, and collections now available to everyone online and housed at USC, UCLA, etc.

Going public (book, website, video) with your research is not for the faint of heart. I've had my share of mistakes over the years. It is what it is.

Offline NoahYoung

And, conversely, it's amazing how much they got right WITHOUT the benefit of all the archives, phone directories, and collections now available to everyone online and housed at USC, UCLA, etc.

Going public (book, website, video) with your research is not for the faint of heart. I've had my share of mistakes over the years. It is what it is.

True, but Maltin had access to direct sources like Stymie, Spanky, Darla, Butch, Roach, etc., something not possible today. That's why I still love the old books, warts and all. The 60s and 70s seems to be the Golden Age for books written about the Golden Age of Comedy.

I did get to meet Spanky, Butch, Dorothy DeBorba, Shirley Jean Rickert, and Jerry Tucker. The only one I didn't get to talk to very long was Spanky -- he was signing copies of the Republic Home Video releases of Our Gang shorts at a video store in Manhattan, in 1989. The others I met later at movie memorabilia conventions, and Jerry Tucker at a Sons of the Desert meeting in NYC. I have personalized autographs of all I just mentioned. They were all pretty talkative, except for Shirley Jean Rickert, who didn't seem to remember much, probably because she wasn't in that many Our Gang shorts.

The only one who you'd recognize if you didn't already  know what they looked like as an adult would be Butch -- he had the same face as he did as a kid!

True, but Maltin had access to direct sources like Stymie, Spanky, Darla, Butch, Roach, etc., something not possible today. That's why I still love the old books, warts and all. The 60s and 70s seems to be the Golden Age for books written about the Golden Age of Comedy.

I did get to meet Spanky, Butch, Dorothy DeBorba, Shirley Jean Rickert, and Jerry Tucker. The only one I didn't get to talk to very long was Spanky -- he was signing copies of the Republic Home Video releases of Our Gang shorts at a video store in Manhattan, in 1989. The others I met later at movie memorabilia conventions, and Jerry Tucker at a Sons of the Desert meeting in NYC. I have personalized autographs of all I just mentioned. They were all pretty talkative, except for Shirley Jean Rickert, who didn't seem to remember much, probably because she wasn't in that many Our Gang shorts.

Unfortunately, I didn't meet any of them, but I know lots of people that did! LOL

Offline NoahYoung

Unfortunately, I didn't meet any of them, but I know lots of people that did! LOL

Too bad.

I was watching BEAUTY AND THE BUS, the other day, and Tommy Butch Bond was in it. I was like, "Whoa, only two degrees of separation between me and Thelma Todd."  I did ask him about L&H and Charley Chase, but I didn't know at the time he also worked with Thelma. It was interesting that he didn't remember being in YOU SAID A HATFUL! with Chase -- he only remembered I'LL TAKE VANILLA. He was very surprised when I told him that he worked in HATFUL. I was ready to invite him over to watch it on my Super 8 copy, since it wasn't available on video at the time.

Too bad.

I was watching BEAUTY AND THE BUS, the other day, and Tommy Butch Bond was in it. I was like, "Whoa, only two degrees of separation between me and Thelma Todd."  I did ask him about L&H and Charley Chase, but I didn't know at the time he also worked with Thelma. It was interesting that he didn't remember being in YOU SAID A HATFUL! with Chase -- he only remembered I'LL TAKE VANILLA. He was very surprised when I told him that he worked in HATFUL. I was ready to invite him over to watch it on my Super 8 copy, since it wasn't available on video at the time.

Nice! I've got his book.

I've watched BEAUTY AND THE BUS several times (I did a filming locations documentary on it) but it was a while back. I don't remember seeing Tommy Bond. I'll have to give it another watching!

Offline NoahYoung

Nice! I've got his book.

I've watched BEAUTY AND THE BUS several times (I did a filming locations documentary on it) but it was a while back. I don't remember seeing Tommy Bond. I'll have to give it another watching!

He picks the winning ticket out of the pot at the movie theater.

Look how close he gets to Thelma -- and I shook his hand! Woweeeeeee! (I also shook Joe DiMaggio's hand -- and we all know who he was married to!)

I bought the book directly from him at that memorabilia show, and he of course autographed it!

He picks the winning ticket out of the pot at the movie theater.

Look how close he gets to Thelma -- and I shook his hand! Woweeeeeee! (I also shook Joe DiMaggio's hand -- and we all know who he was married to!)

I bought the book directly from him at that memorabilia show, and he of course autographed it!

Nice. Thelma Todd AND Marilyn Monroe. :-)

I think this scene was filmed at the old Meralta Theater in downtown Culver City.

Offline NoahYoung

Nice. Thelma Todd AND Marilyn Monroe. :-)

I think this scene was filmed at the old Meralta Theater in downtown Culver City.

I would have thought that it was done on a soundstage. MOVIE NIGHT wih Charley Chase has scenes in a movie theater, as does SONS OF THE DESERT. Any idea if they were filmed at a real movie theater? Thnx.

I'm sure Joe D's hands touched Marilyn in places that Tommy Bond never touched Thelma, though!
 >:D

I would have thought that it was done on a soundstage. MOVIE NIGHT wih Charley Chase has scenes in a movie theater, as does SONS OF THE DESERT. Any idea if they were filmed at a real movie theater? Thnx.

I'm sure Joe D's hands touched Marilyn in places that Tommy Bond never touched Thelma, though!
 >:D

Hahaha!

I bet Randy Skretvedt mentions the SONS OF THE DESERT location in his latest edition of his book. I would presume that they used the Meralta.

Offline NoahYoung

Hahaha!

I bet Randy Skretvedt mentions the SONS OF THE DESERT location in his latest edition of his book. I would presume that they used the Meralta.

Paging @"Tony Bensley"

And.. Joe D was definitely right-handed, the hand I shook!

Offline Tony Bensley

Hahaha!

Paging @"Tony Bensley"

I just pored through the SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) entry, but didn't see any mention of specific location for the movie theater sequence, although Randy touts the scene in which the wives see the newsreel as one of the most brilliantly edited sequences in any Laurel & Hardy film.

According to this entry at laurel and hardy dot com, the only SONS OF THE DESERT shooting outside of the Hal Roach Studios was for the Hardy/Laurel bungalow exterior, which has since been replaced by another structure: http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/films/features/sons-shoot.html

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

Hahaha!

Paging @"Tony Bensley"

I just pored through the SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) entry, but didn't see any mention of specific location for the movie theater sequence, although Randy touts the scene in which the wives see the newsreel as one of the most brilliantly edited sequences in any Laurel & Hardy film.

Also, according to this entry at laurel and hardy dot com, the only SONS OF THE DESERT shooting outside of the Hal Roach Studios was for the Hardy/Laurel bungalow exterior, which has since been replaced by another structure:
http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/films/features/sons-shoot.html

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline NoahYoung

According to this entry at laurel and hardy dot com, the only SONS OF THE DESERT shooting outside of the Hal Roach Studios was for the Hardy/Laurel bungalow exterior, which has since been replaced by another structure: http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/films/features/sons-shoot.html

CHEERS!  [pie]

TBH, I only notice the editing in their films when it's bad, as in THEIR FIRST MISTAKE. I never noticed that you can see the soundstage in one scene in SONS OF THE DESERT, as pointed out by Dick Bann in that link you provided. I need to check my Super 8 and 16mm copies someday.

That scene in the movie theater is great, because the audience now knows they're in for a ride for the rest of the picture! Years and years before the internet, social media, and youtube, who would have thought that a camera would capture evidence that you lied to your wife about your whereabouts? And that your wife would just happen to see it at a movie theater?

Now that you mention it, what's nice about the editing of that scene is that they're cutting back and forth between what is supposed to be happening "live" and what is being shown on the movie theater screen. Stan and Ollie break the 4th wall by mugging for the camera, and Mae Busch acknowledges it by yelling at the screen as if Ollie were really there. It's a clever and funny concept, though I don't think it would have been very hard to pull-off in the editing room any more than editing any other scene.

Stan Laurel was very hands-on during editing, but I'm not sure if he ever did any of the physical work (i.e. cutting, splicing, etc.) Purely conjecture, but I guess he directed Bert Jordan who handled the physical aspect. And while all this was happening, Babe Hardy was on the links. ;)

Offline NoahYoung

I checked out SOTD of youtube, and you can see the soundstage briefly at the top of the screen when Mae comes in to answer the phone from Charley, her brother. You really need to be looking for it, and if you blink, you'll miss it. So you need to freeze frame.

I think Dick Bann has too much time on his hands to notice these things...
 [pie]

Interesting how we got from FISH HOOKY to SOTD!
 [kermit]

Bet you can't guess the link between SOTD to SPRUCIN' UP!
 [oldman]

Offline Tony Bensley

I checked out SOTD of youtube, and you can see the soundstage briefly at the top of the screen when Mae comes in to answer the phone from Charley, her brother. You really need to be looking for it, and if you blink, you'll miss it. So you need to freeze frame.

I think Dick Bann has too much time on his hands to notice these things...
 [pie]

Interesting how we got from FISH HOOKY to SOTD!
 [kermit]

Bet you can't guess the link between SOTD to SPRUCIN' UP!
 [oldman]
"Oh, yes I can!" ;)

Both include the newspaper with the "HONOLULU LINER SINKING!! FOUNDERING IN TYPHOON" headline!  [pie]

Wish I could figure out an easy way to post my screenshots on here!!  :(

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline NoahYoung

"Oh, yes I can!" ;)

Both include the newspaper with the "HONOLULU LINER SINKING!! FOUNDERING IN TYPHOON" headline!  [pie]

Wish I could figure out an easy way to post my screenshots on here!!  :(

CHEERS!  [pie]

Correct! That link drove me crazy for almost 40 years! Why? It was mentioned in a Blackhawk catalog when they first released SPRUCIN' UP, but they didn't say what the link was! I didn't have easy access to see SPRUCIN' UP back in the 70s, except when it was shown on TV, but in the King World version, which usually had edits (though not sure about edits for that one.) I did already have a copy of SOTD in Super 8 at the time, though. I could never make the connection, until someone finally mentioned it online. And I've had a copy of SPRUCIN' UP on Super 8 for close to 30 years now!

What the connection implies is that the events of SPRUCIN' UP happened on the day after that Honolulu liner sank! Or later in the day depending on how often that newspaper published editions. But it is an EXTRA edition, so it was published sometime after the morning edition. It also brings up the question: did SOTD actually take place in 1935, or did SPRUCIN' UP take place in 1933? I looked at the video and I can't clearly see the date on the newspaper.

BTW, when Mrs. Laurel (Dorothy Christy) comes in to see Mae with the newspaper in hand, you can again see the sound stage briefly at the top of the screen! Now I have too much time on my hands! I love how in old movies the "newsboys" often say "extry" instead of "extra." I would trade today's technology for the days when newspapers -- physical, printed newspapers -- were one of the main ways to get news, outside of radio and the evening TV news (before all day cable news channels like CNN and FOX News.) Now you need to take out a second mortgage to buy a newspaper everyday at the news stand (if you can find a news stand.). A yearly subscription with delivery costs less, and I did that about 10 years ago for the WALL STREET JOURNAL, but after the first year they tripled the price or something like that!