Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Cracked Nuts (1931) - Wheeler and Woolsey

Offline HomokHarcos

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0021768/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_cracked%2520nuts

Cracked Nuts came out and was produced before the two solo films, however I accidentally skipped over it and am covering it now. After two not-so-good solos I was looking forward to seeing the two together again. Little did I know I’d also get Ben Turpin and Boris Karloff!

This is the most exciting film so far out if their filmography, and is a political comedy made before their more famous Diplomaniacs. The plot revolves around a group of revolutionaries (one of them being Boris Karloff) plot to overthrow the king and establish a new monarch with Bert Wheeler in charge. The reigning king is aware of this, so he throws a game of dice against Bob Woolsey, making him the new king.

This is a movie of two halves, as the duo don’t even interact with each other until halfway through. Supposedly, RKO were testing the waters for solo runs. Bert Wheeler is in a romance with Dorothy Lee  as usual, while Woolsey is in a relationship with Leni Stengel. This first half is much better than the solo films they made afterwards.

When they get together, the film improves. Oddly,Leni Stengel and Dorothy Lee are almost entirely gone from the movie after this point.

The highlight is when Wheeler and Woolsey are going over the battle plans, and there is confusion over the town names “what” and “which.” Yes, they’re doing a who’s on first-style routine! A moment where I felt the joy I did when watching The Three Stooges and the Marx Brothers.

The climax is when Bob Woolsey complains about getting shot, so is told he will by stuck in a chair and bombed from airplane instead. The pilot ends up being the famous Sennett silent film comedian Ben Turpin, so he is not a good bomber.

The film was not critically acclaimed during release, but it was one of RKO’s biggest moneymakers of the year. So far, it’s also the greatest by the duo.

Offline metaldams

Agreed this is the best so far and yeah - Boris on the cusp of Frankenstein is a treat.  Enough silliness, verbal puns and craziness with bombs toward the end to make this an entertaining riot.  Actually not a bad place to start for Bert and Bob - I’d revisit this one for sure.
- Doug Sarnecky