Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Too Many Cooks (1931) - Bert Wheeler

Offline HomokHarcos

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0022491/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_too%2520many%2520cooks

Wikipedia has the film order incorrect, Cracked Nuts was before the two solo films, but since I already watched Wolsey’s solo film, I’ve decided to watch Bert Wheeler’s Too Many Cooks.

The film’s plot revolves around Bert Wheeler and Dorothy Lee’s attempts to get married, and build a house together. Both families get involved, and want to make it about themselves, putting pressure on the couple.

Bert Wheeler was a pretty good actor, and unlike he and Dorothy Lee are always great together. In fact, Bert and Dorothy fit together as well as Bert and Bob do. It’s that resin I much preferred this film to Robert’s: I think he’s a better actor and is more suited to story based films.

However, there’s one major flaw with this film: it’s not funny. That is most likely due to the with it was written and presented. Without knowing anything about Bert Wheeler beforehand, you’d probably assume it was a straight drama about a couple trying to build a home while also dealing with family troubles. I was starting to question if this film was even supposed to be a comedy. Thank goodness Dorothy Lee and Bert Wheeler are good enough to at least make it watchable.

Bert Wheeler and Dorothy Lee themselves thought the film was a stinker, and had a “let’s get this over with” attitude during the filming. The movie was not great business at the box office, and Everything’s Rosie not doing so swell financially either, it seems everybody realized it was best go back to the Wheejer and Woolsey films instead of trying to be solo artists.

I’ll get back to Wheeler and Woolsey in my next review, Cracked Nuts.