Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Question for Red Sox fans: Alex Verdugo

Offline NoahYoung

Really for metaldams (don't know if there are other Red Sox fans here):

I know Alex Verdugo wasn't a big hit in Boston. After a great start, he has stunk out Yankee Stadium since mid-June.

Regarding his stats in Boston - I can only see totals by year -- but were most of his "counting" numbers accumulated during 1 or 2 very hot stretches? He was on pace this year to get at least 80 RBI, now it looks like he'd be lucky to get 54 (which he got last year). His BA this year is way below his career BA. He's batting .157 in his last 30 games! He botched a fly ball in the last game before the all-star break that handed Baltimore a come-from-behind walk-off win. It had a catch probability of 99%. (And this was the play immediatley after Anthony Volpe botched a routine ground ball that would have ended the game with a Yankee win.)
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline NoahYoung

You want Verdugo back? We'll take 3 bats, 2 balls, a catcher's mitt, and a blank scorecard book.

Offline metaldams

You want Verdugo back? We'll take 3 bats, 2 balls, a catcher's mitt, and a blank scorecard book.

He seems to hit the Red Sox well.  The rest of the league he has issues with.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

He seems to hit the Red Sox well.  The rest of the league he has issues with.

Well he had around 40 RBI in mid-June then stopped hitting. He has 7 RBI in the last 30 games!

Yes, he's hit the last 2 games against the Sox. Rumour has it that he might be gone by Tuesday's deadline. The Yankees just got Jazz Chisholm who could replace him in the outfield when he doesn't play infield.

Offline NoahYoung

It figures. I trash the guy then he has a great series. Up until this past weekend, he couldn't buy a hit for over a month.

Offline NoahYoung

Well he had around 40 RBI in mid-June then stopped hitting. He has 7 RBI in the last 30 games!

He's improving: 8 RBI in his last 30 games now! Also in last 30: .210/.279/.277
All 3 are less than his season so far: .235/.294/.366.

He has 53 RBI for season -- needs just 1 more to equal his total for last year!

In short, he stinks!

Since when does an outfielder who hits neither for power nor average stays in the major leagues???Certainly not when I first starting watching back in the 70s. He's a free agent at the end of the year. He'd be lucky to get a league-minimum contract for a year.  He's a one-tool player: fielding -- and to me he's barely average for an outfielder.

metaldams -- you want him back???

Offline NoahYoung

He's getting worse, not better:

The Yankees haven't had a decent left fielder since Brett Gardner, and he wasn't exactly Rod Carew, either.

This prosciutto is batting .071 in his last 7 games.
.193 in his last 30 games.
He still only has 53 RBI -- he had about 40 in mid-June.

The majority of his last 13 RBI have been sac flies and ground-outs -- though I don't have the numbers to back that up.

And, oh yea, he's blaming it on his batting gloves.

I hope you are enjoying RHP Greg Weissert, RHP Richard Fitts and RHP Nicholas Judice.
 [3stooges]

Offline metaldams

He's getting worse, not better:

The Yankees haven't had a decent left fielder since Brett Gardner, and he wasn't exactly Rod Carew, either.

This prosciutto is batting .071 in his last 7 games.
.193 in his last 30 games.
He still only has 53 RBI -- he had about 40 in mid-June.

The majority of his last 13 RBI have been sac flies and ground-outs -- though I don't have the numbers to back that up.

And, oh yea, he's blaming it on his batting gloves.

I hope you are enjoying RHP Greg Weissert, RHP Richard Fitts and RHP Nicholas Judice.
 [3stooges]

As bad as Verdugo has been this year, Weissert has given the Red Sox even less value and the other two have been in the minors.  Whatever value they’ll provide, if any, will be in the future.  So directly, there’s a chance, believe it or not, the Yanks may win the trade.  Too early to tell.

Indirectly, it’s good for The Red Sox as its addition by subtraction.  Getting rid of Verdugo has allowed Wilyer Abreu to get regular playing time and he has, by far, been better than Verdugo.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

Indirectly, it’s good for The Red Sox as its addition by subtraction.  Getting rid of Verdugo has allowed Wilyer Abreu to get regular playing time and he has, by far, been better than Verdugo.

A random guy picked off a softball field would be far better than Verdugo right now. And regardless of how they calculate WAR, he blew a game I mentioned above my missing a fly ball with a 99% catch rate. So -1 win right there. He sucks big time! https://youtu.be/A5MCFaS-Epw?si=naAh85_N9LDoN3UL&t=680

Offline NoahYoung

So of course the guy hits a home run today!

Offline NoahYoung

Now the Yankee announcers want us to throw the guy a parade because he got 2 hits today. One was a bloop hit where he hit it off the end of the bat, so the outfielder broke in too late to catch it.

Offline NoahYoung

His level of being abysmal is historic:

https://yanksgoyard.com/posts/alex-verdugo-poised-to-make-bleak-career-history-with-yankees-collapse-01j5tzypg64s

Here are the bottom 6 for OPS+ at age 28 after being 100-110 in their careers like Verdugo, who would join them as he's all the way down to 81 now

81 Solly Hofman
    80 Marquis Grissom
    79 Lloyd Waner
    79 Alex Rios
    55 B.J. Upton
    46 Lee Magee https://t.co/2lbGp07XXA pic.twitter.com/8ainjVzcJn
    — James Smyth (@JamesSmyth621) August 21, 2024