Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Johnny Carson and Buddy Hackett Go Stooge Crazy (1983)

Offline NoahYoung

They both have a very low Stooges IQ. Hackett probably made up the story that they wanted him to replace Curly -- in 1951!
Try 1946/47, Buddy.

He was a very bad Costello in that TV movie. My Hackett IQ is based on the numerous Carson appearances, IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD, and THE LOVE BUG.

He was also in an A&C "reject" movie called FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD which I heard was awful. Started out as an A&C movie, then A&C dropped out to do MEET DR JECKYLL AND MR HYDE which also stunk. The scenes that were filmed for FIREMAN were with A&C stunt doubles, not A&C themselves, so I think they didn't refilm the scenes.

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline NoahYoung

It's so weird. I watch clips of Carson all the time, some older than this (like 50 years old) and I feel right at home like not a year has passed. I feel like it would be "normal" to turn the TV on to Channel 4 at 11:30pm and see this. The kicker is that some cable stations do show Carson re-runs.

I hardly ever watched late-night talk shows after Carson retired in 1992. I did like Letterman for awhile back when he was first on (and that was before Carson retired), but there was always something special about Carson and his guests. You really felt like you were seeing the best stars -- because you were.

Unfortunately, Carson was supposedly an SOB in real-life. All this has come out due to the internet of course, and after Carson died -- so he cannot defend himself. Search youtube for Wayne Netwon's story about how he slapped Carson around, in Carson's office, since he had had enough of Carson's jokes about him.

You do have to take everything with a grain of salt, though. Take Frank Sinatra, for instance. So much bad stuff has been written about him -- that he was an SOB, among other things. But then you notice that his friends, the people who really knew him, say he was a sweetheart. So do you believe them or Kitty Kelly?

I enjoy Sinatra's music, and I actually have it all -- I'm not a half-Nelson guy who has a few "best of" CDs or LPs and then calls himself a big Sinatra fan. (I know tons of people like that -- though not always with Sinatra but with other recording artists. Awhile ago, perhaps a year or 2 after Sinatra died, my wife, her friend, and I were taking a long drive somewhere. They were playing nothing but Sinatra on this station that day. Then her stupid friend says,"How many songs did he record? I mean, they've been playing his songs for an hour already!" I thought to myself -- "What????? You've got to be kidding me!" I mean -- Sinatra was "The Entertainer of the Century", and considered the greatest singer of his genre and generation, and you're surprised that there's as much as an hour of his music that was recorded???? This woman was the same age as me, and I know that she had heard Sinatra before -- of couse-- and liked his music.)

I decided a long time ago to enjoy entertainers like Carson and Sinatra for their entertainment, and not be concerned about what they were like in real-life. Plus -- they're long dead so I'll never meet them anyway.

Offline NoahYoung

According to Wikipedia, which is infallible, Buddy Hackett was indeed full of ---- regarding being asked to join the Stooges.

Hackett's movie career began in 1950 with a 10-minute "World of Sports" reel for Columbia Pictures called King of the Pins. The film demonstrated championship bowling techniques, with expert Joe Wilman demonstrating the right way and Hackett (in pantomime) exemplifying the wrong way. There was an anecdote that, because of this appearance, Hackett received an offer to join the Three Stooges from Jules White, the head of Columbia short subject department, in 1952.[8] Curly Howard had suffered a debilitating stroke in 1946; his older brother Shemp Howard was intended to replace him only on a temporary basis until he fully recovered, but Curly died in January 1952. It was said Hackett even joined Moe Howard and Larry Fine for a rehearsal, but turned down the offer eventually when he felt he did not fit with the act's comedy style and wanted to develop his own style as a solo act.[9] This rumor was later dismissed as either untrue or unfounded.[10]

[10] Maurer, Joan Howard; Jeff Lenburg; Greg Lenburg (2012) [1982]. The Three Stooges Scrapbook. Citadel Press. p. 87. ISBN 978-1-61374-074-3.

Offline NoahYoung

I wouldn't be surpised if the true story was Hackett asked to appear in a 3 Stooges short in another role, but was rejected. Pure speculation on my part, but if Buddy can make up stories -- then so can I!

Why would they want to kick Shemp out in 1952, anyway????????

Offline NoahYoung

Spam alert!!!!!!

Offline NoahYoung

Is anyone going to delete the spam?