Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Buster Keaton feature films

Offline stoogesfan06

You don't have to go in depth with reasoning, but for the BK fans in here, how do you rank his features?

For the record as a Keaton fan as of 2 to 3 years now, I have watched: every co-starring short with Arbuckle, most of the solo silent shorts (except for a few), most of his silent features, and a random mix of his sound shorts from Educational, Columbia, Industrial etc...

So I would say I have a decent idea of his films. Eventually i will try to watch all of them in order from 1917 to 1966.

Out of the feature films, I've watched:
Three Ages (1923)
Our Hospitality (1923)
Sherlock Jr. (1924)
The Navigator (1924)
Seven Chances (1925)
Battling Butler (1926)
The General (1926)
College (1927)
Steamboat Bill Jr. (1928)
The Cameraman (1928)

I've not watched:
The Saphead (1920)
Go West (1925)
Spite Marriage (1929)

Out of the 10 I've watched, this is how I'd rank them from favorite to least favorite:

1. Sherlock Jr. (1924) 10/10: as an amateur filmmaker (only 17 about to be 18 soon) the editing and creativity for the time period is seriously amazing
2. The Cameraman (1928) 10/10
3. Our Hospitality (1923) 9/10
4. Steamboat Bill Jr. (1928) 9/10
5. College (1927) 8/10
6. The General (1926) 8/10
7. Battling Butler (1926) 7/10
8. Seven Chances (1924) (6/10)
9. The Navigator (5/10)
10. Three Ages (5/10)

I genuinely don't think he has a "bad" movie in his silent filmography, and I suppose my rankings out of 10 might change depending on my mood, but the order of my ranking never changes. I know it's sacrilegious to not pit the General at the top, but it doesn't have much replay value for me. I know he wasn't trying to make it a conventional comedy, and I think it was a fine film, just not in my top 5.

I've not seen any of the sound era features (although I have them on DVD, and should get around to watching them).

What are your rankings of BK's feature films?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 10:30:21 AM by stoogesfan06 »

Offline HomokHarcos

Sherlock Jr. is a bit of a toss up about whether I view it as a feature or not, but my rankings would be, counting mainly his silents and MGM talkies.

The Cameraman
Seven Chances
Steamboat Bill Jr.
The General
Sherlock Jr.
Our Hospitality
The Navigator
Sidewalks of New York
Doughboys
What? No Beer?
Spite Marriage
Three Ages
Battling Butler
Go West
Parlor, Bedroom and Bath
College
Speak Easily
The Passionate Plumber
The Saphead
Free and Easy

Offline Umbday

The silents feature follow — ranked by a combination of excellence, “importance,” and my own desire to rewatch them. All of the films are elevated if you are fortunate enough to see them on a screen with an attentive audience:

• Sherlock Jr. — Shows off Keaton’s imagination and mindset and sensibilities to the n’th degree. This one is turned up to 11. The concise masterpiece.

• The General — The big masterpiece. Keaton at his summit. An epic, but watch it for the subtleties. Get to know it. 

[The ranking of the next four can change from viewing to viewing]

• Cameraman — In spite of the first signs of MGM’s meddling in story structure, a satisfying movie and story that showcases Buster at his most "relatable." It play great to a big audience. (The involvement of a love interest who actually plays a role in the plot arguably makes this a great date movie.) 

• Seven Chances— My controversial choice. In spite of several gags and situations that draw offended gasps from today’s audiences (I’ve heard them), and in spite of Keaton’s own disavowal of the film (he was more or less obligated to make it), this is packed with incident, speed, and gags, and it’s another one that gets huge laughs from an audience.

• The Navigator — Refined and polished.

• Steamboat Bill Jr. — The last time Keaton had freedom to really do things his way.

• Our Hospitality — The first time Keaton really had freedom to stretch out. A slow-ish first act pays off later on.

• College — Reportedly, this less-ambitious film was Keaton’s penance for breaking the bank making The General. I return to College more often than the following films for the gags and to marvel at Keaton’s physical performance throughout. The ending is a jaw-dropper.

• Go West — A more constrained outing. The pace has slowed, so it’s best enjoyed for its subtleties and melancholy. (A finale cattle stampede thought the streets of Los Angeles just can’t move as fast or as threateningly as those hundreds of brides and hundreds of boulders in Seven Chances.)

• Three Ages — Famously (and maybe apocryphally), it’s three two-reelers with the same plot, woven together. His first indy, and so, essential. The closing gag gets a huge response from a modern audience. (It probably did a hundred years ago too.)

• Battling Buster — An unconventional one. Slower — and not only because Keaton plays another of his idle rich, babes in the woods. A darker than expected final reel that doesn’t play things strictly for laughs. See it, but there are many others that are more essential.

• Spite Marriage — To my eye, a drastic shift from the preceding Cameraman. MGM is now calling the shots. Keaton is diminished.

• The Saphead — Young Keaton stars, but it’s not a Buster Keaton movie.

# # #
Thanks for indulging me. Now, more of the Three Stooges . . . .

Offline Umbrella Sam

Here’s how I rank them (still have not seen PASSIONATE PLUMBER, BOOM IN THE MOON, or the French film from 1934):

1. STEAMBOAT BILL JR. (10/10)
2. GO WEST (10/10)
3. OUR HOSPITALITY (10/10) (was originally #4, but recently switched spots with THE CAMERAMAN)
4. THE CAMERAMAN (10/10)
5. SHERLOCK JR. (10/10)
6. THE GENERAL (9.5/10)
7. BATTLING BUTLER (8/10)
8. THE NAVIGATOR (8/10)
9. THREE AGES (8/10)
10. THE SAPHEAD (7/10)
11. SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK (7/10)
12. SEVEN CHANCES (7/10)
13. DOUGHBOYS (7/10)
14. SPEAK EASILY (6/10)
15. WHAT! NO BEER? (5/10)
16. COLLEGE (5/10)
17. SPITE MARRIAGE (4/10)
18. THE INVADER (4/10)
19. PARLOR, BEDROOM AND BATH (4/10)
20. FREE AND EASY (2/10)

I tend to like GO WEST more than most people and hate COLLEGE more than most people (although it looks like HomokHarcos and I have it in a similar spot at least). SEVEN CHANCES is probably the most difficult one for me to rank because I think the first two-thirds are dreadful while the last third is some of the best work Keaton ever did.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com