Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A personal grievance....

Offline metaldams

I wouldn't be surprised now if the BoSox finish ahead of the Yankees this year...

That ain’t happening, but it would be nuts if the Yankees blew the division lead.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Yanks blowing the division lead and having another early exit in the playoffs would just add to an already great year...  :laugh:
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Since there is no more DH,  there is no difference between AL and NL.  Now we have coerced "everyone must play everyone every year!"  It's time to abolish the leagues and split into 5 six-team divisions

Schedule:
1 three-game series against teams from two divisions for 36 games (3*6*2 = 36)
2 three-game series against teams from two divisions for 72 games (6*6*2 = 72)
3 three-game series against teams from your division for 45 games (9*5*1 = 45)

This gives a 153 game schedule.  Or, you can up it 158 with 10 games instead of 9 against division opponents.  Division winners get automatic post-season birth along with three wildcards.  Three-game series in first round all at better teams stadium.  Five-game series in second round in tradition schedule.  Seven-game World Series.  Which divisions you play each year rotate. 

Pacific:
Seattle
Oakland
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Anaheim
San Diego

Central:
Colorado
Arizona
Texas
Houston
Kansas City
St. Louis

Atlantic:
Tampa Bay
Miami
Atlanta
Washington
Baltimore
Philadelphia

Midwest:
Chicago White Sox
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota
Milwaukee
Cincinnati
Cleveland

Northeast:
Detroit
New York Yankees
New York Mets
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Boston
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

It’s an interesting idea, but there’s no way it will ever happen due to to a few reasons.  One is less regular season games a year equals less revenue.  Another, if I’m reading your scenario correctly, is there will be ten playoff teams.  The current configuration has 12.  Less playoff teams equals less teams in the race which again equals……less revenue.

Baseball is getting less popular and the owners will do anything to make more money, period, even though I don’t think it’s good for the game allowing more teams in the playoffs.  I prefer how it was when I was a kid in the 80’s or at the very least, the one wildcard team per league.  But that’s just me.  I can see an argument for the pre 1969 model as well competitively, if not dollar wise.

But yeah, you’re right.  The lines between AL and NL are very blurred now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I was a little iffy at 1st about the new playoff format--but, as with most things baseball--I'm sure I'll get used to it and keep watching. I think the only thing that could get me to stop watching at this point is if MLB ever institutes robot umpires...

One rule change I do like is having the Wild Card round be a best 2 out of 3, instead of 1 game sudden death....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
It’s an interesting idea, but there’s no way it will ever happen due to to a few reasons.  One is less regular season games a year equals less revenue.  Another, if I’m reading your scenario correctly, is there will be ten playoff teams.  The current configuration has 12.  Less playoff teams equals less teams in the race which again equals……less revenue.

Baseball is getting less popular and the owners will do anything to make more money, period, even though I don’t think it’s good for the game allowing more teams in the playoffs.  I prefer how it was when I was a kid in the 80’s or at the very least, the one wildcard team per league.  But that’s just me.  I can see an argument for the pre 1969 model as well competitively, if not dollar wise.

But yeah, you’re right.  The lines between AL and NL are very blurred now.

Yeah, I set up 8 playoff teams and a shorter regular season, but as it is right now the players cry they can't handle 162 games while Cal Ripken played all 162 games in a season for over 10 years straight.  My system would make it easy to up the number of regular season games and playoff teams in similar fashion.  There are all sorts of scenarios you could play out.

But, you got the gist of it: the leagues are meaningless, and there's no reason to not just start mass redistribution like the NFL did.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline NoahYoung

The Yanks blowing the division lead and having another early exit in the playoffs would just add to an already great year...  :laugh:

As a Yankee fan, I have no confidence that they will get very far in the post-season, even though it now looks like they will win the division, get a bye, and skip the wild-card round.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline Shemp_Diesel

First day of the playoffs and a couple of good games where starters were allowed to pitch 7 or more innings. I hope that will be a continuing trend, because last year's postseason was bloody awful with all those bullpen games....

Offline metaldams

First day of the playoffs and a couple of good games where starters were allowed to pitch 7 or more innings. I hope that will be a continuing trend, because last year's postseason was bloody awful with all those bullpen games....

Agreed!  Would love to see pitchers go deep as a trend this October.  What hat the 2015 Royals wrought?
- Doug Sarnecky