Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Jules White Audio Interview

Offline Umbrella Sam

Thought I’d share this interview with Stooges director Jules White that I came across. I don’t know what year this was recorded, though he mentions that Moe had passed away by this point, so it at least was post-1975. He talks a bit about some of the other Columbia comedians and focuses mainly on the Stooges for the second half. Assuming most of what he said was true, I found it interesting that he not only lived near the Stooges but apparently socialized with them on a semi-regular basis outside of the studio. It also was sad to hear about his last encounter with Moe and the fact that Moe didn’t even recognize him.

http://www.childrenstvarchive.com/audio/Jules%20White%20%20(The%20Three%20Stooges)%20with%20Paul%20Maher.mp3
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline falsealarms

This is a fascinating interview but one with some cringe-worthy exchanges on the part of the interviewer.

Asking about Moe's death, he wanted to know what made him "disappear," as if he was the victim of a mob hit.

When White said he and Moe weren't as sociable later on in their lives, he changes the subject right away instead of prodding for more on that topic.

A few minutes earlier, he wanted to know what prevented Curly from returning. I don't know, maybe a stroke?! Jules White's answer of "what?" to that question comes off as hilarious.

Offline Umbrella Sam

This is a fascinating interview but one with some cringe-worthy exchanges on the part of the interviewer.

Asking about Moe's death, he wanted to know what made him "disappear," as if he was the victim of a mob hit.

When White said he and Moe weren't as sociable later on in their lives, he changes the subject right away instead of prodding for more on that topic.

A few minutes earlier, he wanted to know what prevented Curly from returning. I don't know, maybe a stroke?! Jules White's answer of "what?" to that question comes off as hilarious.

Yeah, the whole question about Curly not returning was pretty bad. Also, there was quite a bit of background noise throughout, though from what it sounded like, the kids in the background were related to Jules (grandchildren, maybe?).

Still, it did amaze me just how much White actually remembered at that point, including most of the people he worked with and the fact that Curly was intended to have a cameo in MALICE IN THE PALACE.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline 7stooges

A few cringey comments, yes. "The New Curly" stands out.

Offline Shemp

I had the chance to meet for almost an hour with Jules White's nephew today.  90 years old but very sharp.  He had recollections from visiting "Uncle Jules" at his house in Toluca Lake in the 1940's that were pretty cool to hear about.  Sometimes the Stooges would be there as well.