Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Betty Phares (GENTS WITHOUT CENTS) passes away

Offline falsealarms

Three Stooges Fan Club President Gary Lassin shared some sad news on Facebook. Betty Phares, a co-star in the 1944 short GENTS WITHOUT CENTS, has passed away at the age of 97.

Phares appeared at Three Stooges Fan Club meetings in both 2003 and 2015.

"Of the many supporting players who attended our conventions, Betty was my favorite and I'm really going to miss her," Lassin wrote. "When I first invited her to attend our 2003 event I told her we didn't have a big budget and couldn't afford to pay her a speaker's fee, but we could pay for her hotel and plane ticket. Her response: "Oh, that's so nice of you but I can pay for my own airfare....if you could just put me up at the hotel that would be great."

Phares' page at threestooges.net: https://threestooges.net/cast/actor/372

Offline metaldams

I’ll watch GENTS WITHOUT CENTS after the ball game tonight in her honor. May she rest in peace.

Really getting thin with living Curly era actors.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I’ll watch GENTS WITHOUT CENTS after the ball game tonight in her honor. May she rest in peace.

Really getting thin with living Curly era actors.

Off the top of my head, the only Curly era player left might be Joyce Gardner, the baby from SOCK A BYE BABY. And there's always been an ounce of doubt if she was really that baby.

Jackie Jackson (THREE LOAN WOLVES) might conceivably still be around but there's never been any trace about what happened to him after his credits stopped in the 1950s. He'd probably be in his early 80s.

Offline hiramhorwitz

From the 2003 Fan Club Meeting:  Here's a picture of Betty with her dancing co-horts Lindsay and Laverne, along with Beverly Warren (Three Loan Wolves) and fan club meeting co-organizers Frank and Phyllis Reighter.  Now that Betty has passed, literally every individual in the picture is gone.  Sad, for sure.

Offline Kopfy2013

Sad, met her at 2015 convention.

That would have made her 90ish ... she was still sharp.  Very nice lady.

[cry]

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Offline hiramhorwitz

Off the top of my head, the only Curly era player left might be Joyce Gardner, the baby from SOCK A BYE BABY. And there's always been an ounce of doubt if she was really that baby.

Jackie Jackson (THREE LOAN WOLVES) might conceivably still be around but there's never been any trace about what happened to him after his credits stopped in the 1950s. He'd probably be in his early 80s.

I believe Gloria Patrice from the late-Curly era Rhythm and Weep is still around, at age 97.