Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Steely Dan Album Discussion

Offline metaldams

Going into this, I really was expecting some kind of masterpiece because yes, this is the one everybody seems to rave about.  Perhaps my expectations were too high, because my overall opinion is this is OK, but not great.  Now in all fairness, this is after one listen, there are plenty of albums I have held that opinion on after one listen that I now love.  But yeah, agree with Homok, as of now, I like THE ROYAL SCAM a lot better and agree there is a lack of variety on this album.

On the plus side, again, this sounds great in headphones, there’s no denying the audiophile praise this album normally gets.  My favorite track is the title track, which borders on something I wish Steely Dan would have explored a little more - progressive rock.  That extended instrumental section really does take this song on an aural journey and at times, the guitar reminds me of Steve Howe of Yes.  I really like this song a lot.

The other six songs all were good, but nothing that stood out.  I think the mellow mood is the key, making this album seem more like a mood piece than an album of big songs.  Strange for me to say since three of these seven songs were top 40 hits!  Perhaps if I heard these songs in isolation versus all together the pieces of the puzzle would start coming together for me.   I did play “Peg” is high school jazz band and let me tell you, the bass parts Chuck Rainey is playing must have been given to the horn players as I wasn’t playing that.  I remember the arrangement they gave me had me lots of multi string octave plus chords like I was vamping.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Yeah, I’m with metaldams. Nothing bad here (although I did think “Home at Last” was a bit dull), but there is a certain repetition here that doesn’t make it super memorable. As far as highlights go, I do like “Peg”, which kind of has a semi-electronic sound that would have fit right in with the times; I can see how it would have been a hit. I liked the piano on “I Got the News” and also really enjoyed the vibraphone work on it. I also quite enjoyed “Deacon Blues”; despite the length, the pacing is actually quite good and I especially liked the saxophone work on this one. In comparison, I felt that the title track was actually not paced quite as well. Yeah, it does cover multiple styles, but it feels like there’s a real disconnect between the instrumental and vocal sections and as a result, the instrumental sections drag on; I think with some cutting, I may have enjoyed this one.

It’s weird; even though they started using session musicians on KATY LIED, this was the first album where I really started to get a session musician vibe as opposed to a full band. Maybe this one will grow on me, but I will say for now that, based on this trend, I do prefer the earlier, more band-oriented Steely Dan, as all of those albums felt more immediate to me compared to the ones with session musicians.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com