Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

For future reviews - What comedy do you own on physical media?

Offline metaldams

I ask this question because it will help me decide what films to review in the future.  It is nice reviewing films on YouTube but there is of course more out there.  I have a big enough DVD and blu ray collection to draw from where I can review things for a few lifetimes.  Just curious as to what sets you guys own.

For example, I would think all the Shemp Vitaphones would be a no brainer on this site.  But do you guys have access to the ones not on YouTube?   
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Not including ones already reviewed
Our Gang talkies (Roach and MGM)
Todd and Pitts/Kelly/Kelton/Roberti
Wheeler and Woolsey
Considering buying The Bowery Boys, Joe McDoakes and the Arbuckle and Shemp Vitaphones.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Offline Umbrella Sam

It’s been a while since I’ve done a deep dive through my DVD collection, especially since I just started getting back into collecting more DVDs again, so I’d have to really double check. At the top of my head, one that we haven’t discussed yet that I have is the 2nd volume of the Wheeler and Woolsey set. The 1st volume is on my list of ones to buy someday, as are the Shemp Vitaphones and select other film series like The Bowery Boys or Torchy Blane. As much as people like to talk about streaming these days, I think it’s a good idea to still have physical media for the things you really like, just in case something happens and you wouldn’t be able to access those films otherwise.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I realize it's more contemporary, but I own a Blu-ray set of the Peter Sellers/Blake Edwards "Pink Panther" series (including the grave-robbing "Trail of the Pink Panther").

Offline Umbrella Sam

I realize it's more contemporary, but I own a Blu-ray set of the Peter Sellers/Blake Edwards "Pink Panther" series (including the grave-robbing "Trail of the Pink Panther").

Funny, because I was just thinking about this too. I used to have the DVD set for the Sellers Pink Panthers, but made the mistake of lending it to a friend who ended up losing it. At least I still have my DVD collection of the Pink Panther cartoons.

Offline metaldams

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Do you guys have Amazon Prime for streaming?

In terms of streaming, I have Amazon Prime, Watch TCM, HBO Max and The Criterion Channel (which includes all the 1918-57 Chaplin films, the Jacques Tati collection, and virtually all the titles from the Harold Lloyd Trust — except for the silent version of "Welcome Danger").

Offline metaldams

In terms of streaming, I have Amazon Prime, Watch TCM, HBO Max and The Criterion Channel (which includes all the 1918-57 Chaplin films, the Jacques Tati collection, and virtually all the titles from the Harold Lloyd Trust — except for the silent version of "Welcome Danger").

Thanks for the response.  I have never seen a Jacques Tati film and probably should.  I know of his influences.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I have never seen a Jacques Tati film and probably should.  I know of his influences.

There are only a handful of Tati features, but start with "Monsieur Hulot's Holiday," "Mon Oncle" and "Playtime."

Offline HomokHarcos

Have all the available Charley Chase Roach silents been released on DVD? I might buy those and continue the Chase threads.

Offline metaldams

Have all the available Charley Chase Roach silents been released on DVD? I might buy those and continue the Chase threads.

The very late MGM distributed ones have not, everything else has that I know of.  Sad, because from the very little I’ve seen it appears to be a good era for Chase.  Half that stuff is lost, I believe.

I plan on reviewing Steely Dan this weekend and will get to Sabbath after Sam does the next Elton.  Slowing it down is fine by me, especially since Steely Dan and Sabbath are almost done.  I have a music review idea that I’ll mention in a few weeks, it’s a bit more casual.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Do you know what the DVD sets that include the Chase silents are? I have the talkie collections, but would like to watch the silent ones first.

Offline metaldams

Do you know what the DVD sets that include the Chase silents are? I have the talkie collections, but would like to watch the silent ones first.

They may be expensive to come by as I’m not sure if they’re still in print. 

https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37966/becoming-charley-chase/

The majority of them are on the set above.  A must own for Chase fans.

https://milestonefilms.com/products/cut-to-the-chase-the-charley-chase-comedy-collection

The above has less shorts, but some not on the set above and some nice prints.  THE CARETAKER’S DAUGHTER has Symona Boniface in her early thirties which as far as I know, is her film debut.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

The very late MGM distributed ones have not, everything else has that I know of.  Sad, because from the very little I’ve seen it appears to be a good era for Chase.  Half that stuff is lost, I believe.

I plan on reviewing Steely Dan this weekend and will get to Sabbath after Sam does the next Elton.  Slowing it down is fine by me, especially since Steely Dan and Sabbath are almost done.  I have a music review idea that I’ll mention in a few weeks, it’s a bit more casual.

Aiming for this weekend on Elton once I catch up on Steely Dan and Abbott and Costello. Let’s just say for now that this next album is a chore for me, the only one besides VICTIM OF LOVE.