Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

The Immigrant (1917) - Charlie Chaplin

<< < (2/3) > >>

Paul Pain:
As the descendent of ancestors who came to America on boats between the 1890s and 1920s, this one hits a real emotional note with me.  THE IMMIGRANT manages to capture the reality of the desperate struggle face by those who came to America while maintaining a humorous note throughout.  This note of struggle is carried through to the end of the short.

Interesting, all the immigrants are dressed in a distinctively Eastern European style.  Albert Austin is dressed as a stereotypical Russian, and all the ladies have a distinctively Eastern European dress and head scarf.  But, no one has any issues with the language although it doesn't affect the short.  This plays into the atmosphere of the rocking, old boat and the way the people are abused by the crew.

Atmosphere continues to dominate off the boat in the restaurant.  Chaplin is homeless and hungry, and Edna is mourning the death of her mother.  Typically, the women and children would come to America after the father had been here for some months or years, and between my immediate and extended family I have no ancestors, aunts/uncles, or cousins who came here without the father alive, so part of me hopes that Edna is not entirely alone in her strange new world.  The old wooden structure that is the restaurant adds a coldness to the scene, and the musicians serve as a reminder that life goes on even in the dark moments.

The issues that befall Chaplin with the money are just prototypical of his style.  The exchanges that go on between Charlie, the other patron, Edna, and Eric Campbell are classic, and in these moments it's always a treat to watch Edna's facial reactions as she pulls off genuine looks of shock and horror very well.  Charlie could not have done better in picking a way for this coin to be revealed, and the following quartet with the artist instead and Charlie's attempts to get by just make the entire scene better.

The playful exchange in the rain was a perfect way to end this short.  Or, dare I say, this classic?  THE IMMIGRANT is definitely the greatest masterpiece of both atmosphere and story that we have seen in these Mutual shorts, and it really is harder to top this in a tale that also tugs at your heart.  There is no doubt that Chaplin is the superior story teller.

On a side note, check out John Rand.  Worked with Chaplin, Keaton, Arbuckle, and the Three Stooges in his career.  He has quite the résumé!

metaldams:
Great reviews from everyone here.

….and I knew John Rand from Chaplin.  Never realised he was the duck farmer in A DUCKING THEY DID GO!

https://threestooges.net/cast/actor/82

HomokHarcos:

--- Quote from: Paul Pain on May 19, 2022, 09:02:33 AM ---
Atmosphere continues to dominate off the boat in the restaurant.  Chaplin is homeless and hungry, and Edna is mourning the death of her mother.  Typically, the women and children would come to America after the father had been here for some months or years, and between my immediate and extended family I have no ancestors, aunts/uncles, or cousins who came here without the father alive, so part of me hopes that Edna is not entirely alone in her strange new world.  The old wooden structure that is the restaurant adds a coldness to the scene, and the musicians serve as a reminder that life goes on even in the dark moments.

--- End quote ---
I know that was the case with my family. My great-great grandfather came to Canada from Hungary a little bit before the rest of the family did. He actually fled for the same reason Bela Lugosi did, I wonder if he knew him! Admittedly there's a very small chance.

metaldams:

--- Quote from: HomokHarcos on May 19, 2022, 05:22:03 PM ---I know that was the case with my family. My great-great grandfather came to Canada from Hungary a little bit before the rest of the family did. He actually fled for the same reason Bela Lugosi did, I wonder if he knew him! Admittedly there's a very small chance.

--- End quote ---

That would be great if your great great grandpa knew Bela.  You never know.

Seven of my eight great grandparents were born in Europe and came to America.  What Paul says about the fathers coming first is true.  My great grandfather came to America and my great grandmother and great aunt joined him - seventeen years later.  :o  It’s why my grandmother had a sister who could be her mother and a niece who was like a sister.

HomokHarcos:

--- Quote from: metaldams on May 19, 2022, 05:57:48 PM ---That would be great if your great great grandpa knew Bela.  You never know.

Seven of my eight great grandparents were born in Europe and came to America.  What Paul says about the fathers coming first is true.  My great grandfather came to America and my great grandmother and great aunt joined him - seventeen years later.  :o  It’s why my grandmother had a sister who could be her mother and a niece who was like a sister.

--- End quote ---
Wow, I would have thought they would have moved on from each other 17 years later, I'm surprised they were even able to find each other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version