Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

The Movies (1925) - Lloyd Hamilton Dir: Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle

<< < (2/2)

HomokHarcos:
This was two first viewings for me: the first time I've ever seen a Lloyd Hamilton comedy, and also the first time I've ever seen an Educational silent. I know they were one of the dominant comedy short producers during the 1920s, also having Lupino Lane in their roster. Lloyd Hamilton does have a certain presence to him, this is my first time seeing him and I think I can already get a feel of what his character is about.

This comedy short feels fine as it is, keep in mind that the other major comedians were having features doing this time, so I appreciate that there was somebody like Lloyd Hamilton doing more gag-like films during this time. There are a few moments I like in this one: most notably the fight with Thalasso. The way he punches him in the stomach reminds me of what Moe would do to the other stooges. Good lowbrow type humor. The part with the presidents was also funny, and interesting to see that people make jokes about presidents back then even.

The part about Lloyd Hamilton being injured so he has to be replaced, sounds like a usual comedy set-up, but the difference here is that Lloyd Hamilton is playing himself and the character who's going to be replacing him in the movies. There's the intentional hammy performance play here, but the climax is fun when Lloyd Hamilton is running away and runs back to his mom.

Speaking of Arbuckle, I'm pretty sure the location at 4:18 was used in of his comedies with Keaton.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version