Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Jeffries, Jr. (1924) - Charley Chase

<< < (2/4) > >>

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Umbrella Sam on April 29, 2022, 08:16:26 AM ---I think I heard of him. Don’t some people call him “The Great Bambi?”

--- End quote ---

Oh deer!

Umbrella Sam:

--- Quote from: metaldams on April 29, 2022, 09:02:31 AM ---Oh deer!

--- End quote ---

Umbrella Sam:

--- Quote from: Umbrella Sam on April 29, 2022, 03:18:11 PM ---

--- End quote ---

For the record, this was me referencing the fact that my original post was a SANDLOT reference, not me trying to be rude, as I realized it could get misinterpreted that way.

Anyway, on to the actual short. I think this is actually one of the funniest Jimmy Jump shorts we’ve seen so far. It’s funny how you mention the lack of masterpieces so far, HomokHarcos, because I was very close to considering this one up until that disgusting part with Chase finding his tooth. I love the whole recurring gag with the glasses here; Chase gets a lot of mileage out of it, and just when you think he’s done with it, he suddenly brings it back in the end in a hilarious reveal. Add in some physical gags with a jump rope and Chase trying to keep up with Jefferies (while at the same time claiming Jefferies is trying to keep up with him) and you get a short that’s full of laughs and a good time all the way through. Most of these early Jimmy Jump shorts had really well-paced stories with some laughs thrown in, but he kind of trades in the story for the laughs here. Both styles work for me.

metaldams:
OK, first off, speaking of masterpieces, I do hope LIMOUSINE LOVE is still up when we get there chronologically.  I just watched it and that one is a treat.  But that’s for a later date.

As for JEFFRIES, JR. - a lot of fun.  It takes advantage of the fact that Chase was a real thin guy and it’s funny trying to watch him man up.  I’m sure you guys know whenever Curly did the wet sponge gag with his legs to pad them up, the skinnier legs shown before were actually Chase’s.  But yeah, his frailness works with a weak character, which leads to the running gag with the glasses.  Whenever a physical threat happens, be it Leo Willis, a dog, or his wife, out come the glasses because you can’t hit a man with glasses.  Also a lot of fun watching Chase attempt boxing in such a comic way and the mirror gag after being hit by Jeffries is the best gag in the short.  But overall, a fun showcase to enjoy one simple dimension of Chase’s character.  A good short.

….and yes, as much as I notice that as the years turn to decades the former old ladies all the sudden look like dating material, the opposite happens for the younger ones.  This Ena Gregory, she’s about sixteen or seventeen here.  It’s amazing how young some of these leading ladies are, but more so in Chase shorts.  Yes, I know Martha Sleeper is coming up and she’s another one when I was shocked about her age.

Freddie Sanborn:
Marie Mosquini was 18 when she joined Roach to provide support to Harold Lloyd in his Lonesome Luke comedies. That’s middle-aged by Hal Roach leading lady standards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version