Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Jeffries, Jr. (1924) - Charley Chase

(1/4) > >>

HomokHarcos:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209060/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

If there's something that sums up the Charley Chase one reelers it's this: all are pretty enjoyable comedies at 10 minutes, but none of them I would so far call masterpieces. I know we'll get there eventually with the two reelers, but still you can't really go wrong with what we're watching so far.

Chase plays a weak man that wants to toughen up for marriage. He gets boxing lessons from James J. Jeffires, who was a real world heavyweight boxing champion. First, there was Oldfield, and then Jeffries. I'm impressed they were able to get people like that in these Chase one reelers. Of course Chase makes a goof of himself with the boxing lessons, the most impressive visual gag being the one in the mirror. Where does this all lead to? Him being a henpecked husband in the end. It was a pretty funny reveal.

metaldams:
The most impressive athlete ever in a silent comedy was Babe Ruth in Harold Lloyd’s SPEEDY.  He won three rings with The Boston Red Sox.  Not sure what he did after that.

HomokHarcos:

--- Quote from: metaldams on April 28, 2022, 05:47:55 PM ---The most impressive athlete ever in a silent comedy was Babe Ruth in Harold Lloyd’s SPEEDY.  He won three rings with The Boston Red Sox.  Not sure what he did after that.

--- End quote ---
He played for the Boston Braves.

Freddie Sanborn:

--- Quote from: metaldams on April 28, 2022, 05:47:55 PM ---The most impressive athlete ever in a silent comedy was Babe Ruth in Harold Lloyd’s SPEEDY.  He won three rings with The Boston Red Sox.  Not sure what he did after that.

--- End quote ---

I heard he moved to New York where he became addicted to hot dogs and beer. Last seen somewhere in the Bronx.

Umbrella Sam:

--- End quote ---

I think I heard of him. Don’t some people call him “The Great Bambi?”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version