Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Easy Street (1917) - Charlie Chaplin

<< < (2/4) > >>

Paul Pain:
After watching EASY STREET, I have no doubt in my mind that it's a masterpiece.  That doesn't make it necessarily ideal though.  We have several huge flaws: (1) the stupidity of the big bully who somehow can magically survive having his brains beaten into his skull from police nightsticks but not from an iron stove being dropped on him, (2) Chaplin's egregious theft when he falls for the woman's (who turns out to be Eric Campbell's wife) crocodile tears, and (3) legit hard core drug use with sexual violence. 

You can give (3) the break of being painfully realistic, but it's not funny.  When Lloyd did this, we had exaggerated reactions followed by him stealing the heroin to jump start his car.  Here, we see a man lose his mind and attempt to r@pe Edna Purviance.

Now, atmosphere is such a large part of the film, to the opening scenes in the mission to Easy Street itself (catch the sign for "Marie Antoinette Way").  Choreography is the second most important part.  Every little action has meaning, and I suspect this was one of those films where Chaplin ordered 3 dozen takes of a single scene before being satisfied.

I see no reason to believe that Chaplin's reform isn't genuine, but at the end I see no reason to believe that the reform of Easy Street is genuine either.  I suspect this short was a partial mockery of the then famous book In His Steps.

Artistic masterpiece, story-telling disaster

metaldams:
I’ll have to look into “In His Steps,” thanks for the heads up.  There’s another film we will be discussing soon that has a controversial scene supposedly inspired by another story I need to check out.

Dr. Mabuse:
The sets in "Easy Street" were designed to evoke the London of Chaplin's childhood. However, there is a brief outdoor shot of Eric chasing Charlie past the Los Angeles City Water Works building (located in the Plaza Historic District) at the 17:24 mark.

HomokHarcos:
This was the first ever Chaplin film I saw, in 10th grade history class my teacher put this on. The most memorable part of the movie was the actually street itself, ieven if it's supposed to be a very tough neighborhood you'd never go to. It is what I think of for 1910s street settings.

Each year Chaplin had been getting better than the one before, and I feel that continues in 1917 with the Mutuals being better than those that came out in 1916. Easy Street is the best Chaplin film so far, it's actually almost an action comedy in the vein of Popeye, as you've mentioned. Eric Campbell is the big bad bully that Chaplin has to take down. This is easily my favorite ever Eric Campbell role, the fight scene with Chaplin being a highlight. Who knew that heroin gives you superpowers? Just like cocaine. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Chaplin tried some hardcore drugs in real life. When Chaplin tripped near the the end in front of Edna Purviance, it looks like he actually took a hard wrack.

I also have to wonder, how many of those people would end up being "reformed" by going overseas to fight in World War I? I mean they have shown they like to fight, it sounds like the government would offer them war service in exchange.

metaldams:
Have no clue about Chaplin’s drug intake - none that I know of, at least.  I do know, speaking of WWI, there was controversy he didn’t go.  I think the world is better off he didn’t.

Cool high school story.  My second grade teacher dressed up as Chaplin for Halloween and showed us a scene from THE GOLD RUSH, which was my first Chaplin experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version