Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Easy Street (1917) - Charlie Chaplin

(1/4) > >>

metaldams:

We finally get to Charlie Chaplin’s EASY STREET.  This is a review where I may ruffle some feathers, including my own.  You see, even I’m conflicted on how I feel about this one.  There is a part of me that feels like this film goes too far in parts or more accurately, conflicts with my worldview.  So be it.  I guess the fact Chaplin had the courage to do something like this, offend whoever he may, speaks to him as a bold artist.  I’ll give him props for that.  If nothing offends you in this short, it’s probably a work of genius.  If something does offend you, it may just be a work of genius anyway.  There is some wonderful comedy here as well, so let’s get to that first.

The film starts out with a homeless Chaplin going inside a church, his eyes on the collection box.  He sits with the congregation like a fish out of water, leading to a funny gag where he holds a baby.  The baby’s bottle is upside down, pouring on Chaplin’s lap.  Chaplin, of course, thinks the wetness is coming from the baby itself.  Funny gag.  Chaplin eventually does get the collection box, but seeing the beauty of the pastor daughter, naturally played by Edna, reforms him.  After a big discussion with the pastor, he returns the box to their surprise.

We then get introduced to two of the most awesome things about this shorts besides Chaplin - Eric Campbell and Easy Street itself.  Eric Campbell plays this gigantic bully on this run down street.  The choreography done when he chases people away is brilliant.  The way almost an entire town of people back away from him in synch and the way Campbell lunges at them?  A thing of beauty.  Actually, a bit like Langdon and his girl in BOOBS IN THE WOOD, just on a much larger scale.  There are also these giant brawls where Campbell is mauling the entire town.  Think Andre the Giant in a battle royal.  The street itself also looks amazing.  My appreciation for art direction usually extends to Universal and Italian horror movies, but this street is a feast for the eyes and is a star if the film in and of itself.  Such great atmosphere which really benefits the film.

Chaplin and Campbell’s initial confrontation is also a highlight.  Chaplin at this point has become a cop and is assigned to Easy Street after Campbell just single handedly decimated the town people.  Talk about building up a credible threat for the comic!  Campbell plays this well choreographed cat and mouse game with Chaplin.  You feel he can maul him at any moment, but bides his time.  When Chaplin says he’s going to call the cops, the movements with the twirling phone and the timing of it all is another very well choreographed moment.  This leads to my favorite moment in the short, when Chaplin sticks Campbell’s head in the gas lamp and knocks him out.  The townspeople then all come out of hiding and Chaplin does the same well choreographed bullying movements Campbell was just doing a few minutes before.  Brilliant.

Then comes the scene I don’t like.  A woman steals some food from a sleeping street vendor.  Chaplin, as a cop, catches her and she cries.  His reaction is to steal more food from the street vendor and give it to her.  Now that bothers me because there is no reason why that working man should have his food involuntarily given away.  Now I know the other side is she’s poor and needs the food and…..just shows that Chaplin is opening up a can of worms here that goes way beyond comedy.  Now as for why is it OK when Lloyd does cruel things in his shorts and I let it slide?  There, it’s being played for silly and fun comedy.  Here?  Pure drama.  This also makes the “charity” scene feel a bit hollow to me.  Your take on all this may vary, but I think we can all agree as an artist, like it or not, Chaplin was unquestionably pushing some boundaries here.

Speaking of pushing boundaries, we also get an attempted rape scene with William Gillespie and Edna Purviyance.  This is after Gillespie shoots up with some heroin.  Rape is a bit too much for a comedy in my eye.  Chaplin does save the day after being tossed into the sewer where the scene is happening.  He just happens to land his backside on the needle, giving him Popeye with spinach superpowers.  He then goes on this fun Keystone like tirade knocking out all the bad guys in one fell swoop.  Then entire town is then reformed, the end.

EASY STREET is a bizarre film, a brave film, a funny film, an offensive film, an enlightening film - I guess it depends on what you bring to it.  A lot of people consider this among Chaplin’s best.  I can see why because one thing this film never becomes is boring.  A fascinating, one of a kind short.  I look forward to your opinions.

Dr. Mabuse:
Charlie Chaplin’s first masterpiece incorporates elements of social criticism that would become evident in his later features. "Easy Street" is an effective depiction of urban poverty with its realistic sets and harshness of tone — established by the dramatic opening scene that finds Charlie in a destitute state.

In one of Chaplin’s satirical jabs at religion, Charlie is “reformed” by a young mission worker (Edna Purviance), upon which he returns the collection box he has stolen.  Encouraged to do good, Charlie bravely joins a failing police force and receives the dangerous assignment of patrolling Easy Street, a gang battlefield ruled by the towering Bully (Eric Campbell in kabuki-style makeup).  The ingenious tactics Charlie uses to conquer the Bully represent the finest screen moments between Chaplin and Campbell — highlights of an exquisitely paced short. Surrounded by bleak atmosphere, "Easy Street" contrasts sharply with most of Chaplin's later work.

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Dr. Mabuse on April 18, 2022, 06:49:05 PM ---Charlie Chaplin’s first masterpiece incorporates elements of social criticism that would become evident in his later features. "Easy Street" is an effective depiction of urban poverty with its realistic sets and harshness of tone — established by the dramatic opening scene that finds Charlie in a destitute state.

In one of Chaplin’s satirical jabs at religion, Charlie is “reformed” by a young mission worker (Edna Purviance), upon which he returns the collection box he has stolen.  Encouraged to do good, Charlie bravely joins a failing police force and receives the dangerous assignment of patrolling Easy Street, a gang battlefield ruled by the towering Bully (Eric Campbell in kabuki-style makeup).  The ingenious tactics Charlie uses to conquer the Bully represent the finest screen moments between Chaplin and Campbell — highlights of an exquisitely paced short. Surrounded by bleak atmosphere, "Easy Street" contrasts sharply with most of Chaplin's later work.

--- End quote ---

I like the way you put “reformed” in quotes and I should have done the same thing.

Allen Champion:
There are no flaws in EASY STREET.

The Tramp's conversion is genuine--its not a "satirical jab at religion."  When he gives away the vendor's food, I have no doubt that he or Edna will eventually pay for it.  Charlie's heart has been changed by love--and love reforms Easy Street.

In the touching final scene, the forgiven and reformed bully, his wife, the townspeople all go to church together.  There is nothing in Charlie's professed political beliefs (not professed till years later) or in the film that gives me the impression that this is any way a satirical or cynical story. 

It's a story of evil overcome by forgiveness and love--a timeless message from a timeless artist.

EASY STREET is the perfect short comedy--just like THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD is the perfect swashbuckler, or ROSEMARY'S BABY is the perfect horror film.   

metaldams:
I see nothing indicating Chaplin or Edna would pay for the food, but if that was the intent, a simple gesture should have been done to indicate that.  I never once got that impression.  If anything I see Chaplin looking up to see if the guy is still asleep.

As for the townspeople reformation, it’s “love backed by force.”  Nothing indicating their church going, which I have no personal issue with, is from the heart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version