Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

The Rink (1916) - Charlie Chaplin

<< < (3/3)

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Umbrella Sam on April 05, 2022, 07:31:21 PM ---I understand that, but it still doesn’t make sense to me that everyone would freak out over Chaplin’s appearance. Eric and Henry’s characters have already found out about each other’s deceptions by this point, so what do they really have to lose by revealing they all know each other? If anything, Chaplin should be the only one freaking out since he’s lying about his identity to Edna.

--- End quote ---

I’ll have to watch again, but I thought they were all freaking out over each other due to infidelity’s being found out, not necessarily freaked out by Chaplin - but I could’ve missed it.  A lot of good stuff to distract from the plot here.

Paul Pain:
I'm with metaldams.  The shock is over the large-scale lie that all four characters are living.  Mr. and Mrs. Stout are cheating on each other; and Chaplin's lying about his identity.  Chaplin saw Mrs. Stout and Edna's father together in the restaurant; he also saved Edna from Mr. Stout earlier.  Likewise, all except Edna are aware that Chaplin is really just a poor waiter; thus, all four agree to keep quiet about these things.

This was another great short, and everything that needed to be said has been said.  I will note this though: it's amazing how, except until the final fight, in Chaplin's universe, it's perfectly natural to react to even slight offenses by beating the living $#¡+ out of someone with your bare fists, as seen in the fights in the restaurant.  In a rarity, Chaplin himself takes a pummeling in this one as well.

I think the reason for having Henry Bergman play Mrs. Stout was because of the abuse the character takes.  In these comedy shorts, you see women involved in the laughs, but until the female co-stars in Columbia shorts you don't often see female actors taking heavy physical abuse like the men do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version