Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Pool Sharks (1915) - W. C. Fields

<< < (2/2)

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Umbrella Sam on April 10, 2022, 11:59:45 AM ---I’ve admitted in the past to not being a Fields fan, yet I’ve also admitted I’ve only seen a select few films by the man. Sure, I didn’t like any of them, but it’s only a few films and that doesn’t mean there aren’t any Fields films out there I might like. I know people talk highly of films like NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK and MILLION DOLLAR LEGS, neither of which I’ve seen yet, but one of these days I’ll get to them. I think I’m at that stage where I’m willing to give Fields another chance.

As for POOL SHARKS, a fairly standard comedy for the time, with Fields acting a bit like Keystone Chaplin at times, which isn’t totally expected for a comedy from this period. One moment that does feel very much like Fields is when he tips the kid out of the chair, and, yeah, I actually did find that really funny. Even in THE BANK DICK, I liked the idea of him being someone defying everyone constantly; there was just something about the execution that didn’t sit right, almost as though it didn’t meet the right balance between reality and fantasy. That’s kind of why I want to see NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK, as I’ve heard it’s supposed to be much more wild, and probably the type of thing Fields could have succeeded at. A lot of this short is just showing off stop motion effects, which are decent for the time, and we even get to see Fields juggling briefly. Other than that, not a ton to say. Not bad and I got some joy out of it, but it’s also the kind that would be easily forgotten if it weren’t the first film of a well-known comedian.

--- End quote ---

In addition to NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK, I would also suggest IT’S A GIFT, YOU’RE TELLING ME and MAN ON THE FLYING TRAPEZE, but especially IT’S A GIFT.  Glad you’re giving Fields another chance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version