Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Feet of Mud (1924) - Harry Langdon

<< < (2/3) > >>

Paul Pain:

--- Quote from: metaldams on March 21, 2022, 06:23:00 AM ---You’re right, it is stupid.

Everybody knows it’s Bevan, STERLING, Semon, Turpin.

--- End quote ---

I got a chuckle out of these two posts.  [pie]

Paul Pain:

--- Quote from: metaldams on March 19, 2022, 06:30:03 PM ---     I’m not going to say too much more about this one except this.  Watch this short again with the theme in mind Harry does very little to move forward the action.  Things happen to him.  The way he catches the football is completely passive.  The way he finds Natalie and saves her is completely passive.  Several events in between these two things are passive.  See how many you can spot, but this for me is what makes FEET OF MUD so wonderful.  Langdon is the perfect comedian for this set up.

--- End quote ---

This is entirely correct, and I have noticed indeed how often Harry is but a passive player in the world around him.  With him it's usually either someone else's action that leads to trouble on his part or doing something innocent yet wrong at the moment.

Umbrella Sam:
Yes, this is indeed a good example of what made Harry so unique; unlike the other Big Three, who persevere or use resourcefulness, Harry just has luck on his side. He occasionally does something clever personality wise (most notably when he opens the second subway door to avoid the crowd; that was very funny), but it’s mostly him stumbling into things. That’s OK, because, again, it does give him a unique style that you didn’t really see in the other comedians, and they make it so fascinating to watch. Harry being clueless tends to be really fun; I especially like when he can’t read the note he was given and all the guys he finds to translate keep running away from him without telling him what it says. I also like the scene with the policeman; rather than immediately going for the “hurt the cop, so cop starts chase” thing, Harry again starts off acting clueless and not only imitates the officer, but even tries patting the officer’s leg to make him feel better. Very funny, definitely worth checking out.

Tony Bensley:

--- Quote from: Allen Champion on March 21, 2022, 05:55:01 AM ---THE MT RUSHMORE OF SILENT COMEDY:
Bevan, Pollard, Semon, Turpin!

Sorry, I was just compelled to post something really stupid!

--- End quote ---
Here's one that's REALLY stupid:

Why has there never been a MT. Rushmore of Silent Comedy?

The idea was always met with "Stone Face" silence!  ;D

CHEERS!  [pie]

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Tony Bensley on March 21, 2022, 02:31:18 PM ---Here's one that's REALLY stupid:

Why has there never been a MT. Rushmore of Silent Comedy?

The idea was always met with "Stone Face" silence!  ;D

CHEERS!  [pie]

--- End quote ---

(Drumroll, cymbal crash)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version