Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

The Count (1916) - Charlie Chaplin

<< < (2/3) > >>

metaldams:
The only time after Campbell Chaplin had heavies as good were Mack Swain and Tom Murray in THE GOLD RUSH, but it took two of them!  Campbell was great indeed.

NoahYoung:
Yes, but Chaplin didn't taunt and torture them in THE GOLD RUSH like he did to Eric Campbell!
 :laugh:
Chaplin never showed any fear of Eric in the Mutuals, either.
That's just one of the reasons why the Mutual Period is my favorite for Chaplin.

Umbrella Sam:
Eh, some stuff works, but this is probably my least favorite of the Mutuals as a whole so far...but again, that’s as a whole short. There are really funny moments, but they’re just spread in spots. The dancing scenes are all great, as it gives Chaplin a chance to show off his unique movement style, and I also like the constantly recurring gag with the cheese early on. Everyone’s reaction to it is really hilarious. My favorite part is when Chaplin throws the turkey at the one guy standing at the table. It’s just so timed perfectly; the glee Chaplin shows in hitting this random guy and the guy’s really shocked reaction make it such a joy.

For all that, though, there are moments where it drags, especially during the dinner table scenes or the parts where Chaplin is constantly getting distracted by the female party guest and following her. It does seem kind of unfocused, which isn’t always a bad thing, but can be a problem when half those distractions just aren’t funny. But again, what works is really good and Chaplin and Eric Campbell work great together as always; I too was surprised to learn that Chaplin attempted to replace him but failed.

Paul Pain:
I found this to be immensely entertaining from start to finish.  The opening scenes perfectly set the relationship between Chaplin and Campbell.  The way the act is carried throughout the party is only possible in Chaplin's universe.  See how casually he charms ladies yet just as casually uses a napkin to wipe his ears throughout the dinner scene.  Watch Edna Purviance during the dinner scene: her facial reactions are precious and make the scene be something much greater than it otherwise would be.  Alas, the low class tendencies eventually come to the front and naturally reveal that it is Chaplin and that this character, too, is a tramp like almost all others.

HomokHarcos:
The beginning was the comedic highlight for me. It's always fun seeing somebody fail to do their job and cause problems, that's what The Three Stooges were also great at.

The Count seems like a story that is a bit like Laurel and Hardy except Chaplin and Campbell are rivals. I could see Oliver Hardy introduce himself as a count and Stan Laurel as his secretary, only to make a mess of things. I like the dinner scene with Campbell, Chaplin and Purviance. It would make a great snapshot as they were the three principal actors of Chaplin's run at Mutual. I also noticed Edna's facial reactions, she looked like she would genuinely having fun watching Charlie Chaplin do his stuff. Chaplin falling around while dancing was a lot of fun.

The way the woman is trying to attract Charlie Chaplin is funny. She seems to think that he really is the count, and she wants that money!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version