Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Luck o' the Foolish (1924) - Harry Langdon

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015096/

THE LUCK O' THE FOOLISH has no plot whatsoever.  It's just an amalgam of Langdon-esque sketches. 

The first reel has some good moments, but the highlight is definitely Harry shaving in the bathroom and disturbing everyone around him.  Harry's simple innocence has he makes a complete fool of himself make this scene a solid piece of work.

The second reel is straight Harry with lots of his long, semi-mournful stares into the camera.  He's a boy doing the man's job of a cop.  He accidentally eats a tobacco pouch and that leads to a bizarre drunken spell.  What then follows is what we expect of Harry: shy and fearful when he has to do what a cop does, keeping the peace.  This one definitely ends with a bang though as he saves the day!

The plot between the two reels is loosely connected and quite forced, but it is a pleasant sequence of varying scenes.  At minimum, it is an excellent demonstration of Harry's character.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

My favorite Harry short so far out of the ones we’ve discussed chronologically and this has long been a favorite of mine.  Another Harry shows up here, director Harry Edwards.  To Three Stooges fans this is a guy who directed two shorts and was incompetent.  He was sadly past his prime and I believe may have had some problems (I want to say drink, but don’t quote me on that), but in the twenties, with Sennett and Langdon, Harry Edwards made a lot of good films and we’ll be seeing them in the weeks to come.

I really enjoy this entire short.  I’ve always enjoyed comedians in these cramped train sequences and this is no exception.  The shaving scene Paul mentioned is fantastic and I also really love the bit where he is handcuffed to the criminal, getting tossed around all over the place.  Most comedians would be flailing away and screaming but Harry has this frozen, wide eyed look the whole time and is utterly confused.  It’s so funny.

My favorite part, as well as one of my favorite Langdon bits ever, are the first scenes when he’s a neighborhood cop.  It’s a masterclass of Harry trying to fit in but failing miserably.  Don’t try to impersonate the neurotypicals, Harry.  It’s a losing game, I should know.  The way he does that walk trying to impersonate the officer across the street and the awkward salutes he does are hysterical.  The coup de grace is when when the cops and the neighbors greet and Harry gets stuck in the middle, totally lost, confused and out of step with everyone else.  I just lost it laughing there.  Just the whole concept of Langdon trying to guard an entire neighborhood is funny and his frightened reactions once it’s night are all priceless.

The stuff with the villains is also well done, luck of the foolish indeed.  Harry thwarts them all with lucky circumstance and nothing resembling skill.  He gets blown up and lands in the action and just happens to be holding an object resembling a bomb.  I also think it’s funny the way he confuses his wife getting back the wallet as selling herself and then sneaking around on the roof he does as a result.  Harry is a completely confused and out of touch character here and the results are wonderful.  The first Langdon film I consider a classic.  There’ll be more and even better ones to come.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
      My favorite Harry short so far out of the ones we’ve discussed chronologically and this has long been a favorite of mine.  Another Harry shows up here, director Harry Edwards.  To Three Stooges fans this is a guy who directed two shorts and was incompetent.  He was sadly past his prime and I believe may have had some problems (I want to say drink, but don’t quote me on that), but in the twenties, with Sennett and Langdon, Harry Edwards made a lot of good films and we’ll be seeing them in the weeks to come.

Harry Edwards was actually fired from Columbia pictures during the filming of PISTOL PACKIN' NITWITS.  That's part of why shooting took so long (along with Harry Langdon's sudden death).  The reason some say he was fired: he was drunk on the set.  The Three Stooges and Vera Vague both refused to work with him because of his behavior (again, alcohol is debatable).
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

Another short that feels like two films put together (as in each reel feels like a different film). The train scene reminds me a lot of the stuff Columbia would be doing later. Seeing Harry shave was quite bizarre, that really put into perspective that he actually is an adult. The one scene where he's eating what falls down from the power line reminds me a lot of Stan Laurel. I can really see why people have said that Laurel was influenced by Langdon. Seeing him roaming the streets is pretty good, although as Paul stated there wasn't much of a plot to this film. It was a gag comedy.

Madeline Hurlock is one of my favorite Sennett supporting players, I was happy to see her again here.

Offline metaldams

About the disjointed feel, according to the commentary track, the original script had more story linking Harry and Marcie talking about needing to get new work after losing the wallet.  The comic stuff Harry did on the street was non scripted but so good they left it in sacrificing plot.  I think they did the right thing.

Madeline Hurlock appears in a ton of Sennett shorts.  The story with her is Sennett tried her out on the set and nobody thought she was special.  Then they saw the film rushes and she was extremely photogenic and had great screen presence, so she translated well on film.  She did have a unique beauty about her and really stood out.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

About the disjointed feel, according to the commentary track, the original script had more story linking Harry and Marcie talking about needing to get new work after losing the wallet.  The comic stuff Harry did on the street was non scripted but so good they left it in sacrificing plot.  I think they did the right thing.

Madeline Hurlock appears in a ton of Sennett shorts.  The story with her is Sennett tried her out on the set and nobody thought she was special.  Then they saw the film rushes and she was extremely photogenic and had great screen presence, so she translated well on film.  She did have a unique beauty about her and really stood out.
It may have been the right thing. I guess when I'm tired (I've gotten very little sleep the past few days) I tend to be crankier and more critical of what I'm seeing. I like that Madeline Hurlock feels more mature than a lot of the other ones.

Offline metaldams

It may have been the right thing. I guess when I'm tired (I've gotten very little sleep the past few days) I tend to be crankier and more critical of what I'm seeing. I like that Madeline Hurlock feels more mature than a lot of the other ones.

Madeline Hurlock was 26 here. As a contrast,  Marceline Day was 16 (though comes across extremely mature for a 20 year old in The Cameraman). You’re right though, Madeline does come across as more mature.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I really enjoyed this one. It’s true that it is a bit disjointed, but at least they kind of tie it together in the end, and the short is pretty much just about Harry being Harry, which is all I can ask for. Harry eating the sandwich is played much slower than most comedians, but because it’s Harry, he makes it work, and it’s funny seeing him walking and crawling around as though he’s drunk. I too like seeing him try to act like a cop and fit in with the older cop; very funny seeing him try to walk in the same way and having difficulty catching up. Pretty much the entire second half feels like what we’d normally expect from Harry Langdon and while I can’t say Harry Edwards is entirely to thank for that (especially given his later history at Columbia), it is worth noting that the pacing does feel more along the lines of a Harry short here than a Sennett one.

The first half is good, not quite as good as the second. The shaving scene is indeed the highlight. Interestingly, the part with Harry being tied to the criminal may be the most famous scene from this, as it was featured in Robert Youngson’s THE GOLDEN AGE OF COMEDY. It’s a good compilation, but I think Youngson misfired with this choice, as there are so many better comedy scenes here. The stuff in the berths is fine; certainly better than most of these berth comedies, but I think it truly does pick up when they get to the shaving scene. Overall, though, what’s good is really good and I enjoyed it too.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com