Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Haunted Spooks (1920) - Harold Lloyd

Offline metaldams

HAUNTED SPOOKS is a legendary film in the story of Harold Lloyd - and very little of it has to do with the film itself.  Filming began in August of 1919 and ended in January 1920.  Not all of those months were spent shooting this film, however.  Two weeks into the shooting schedule in August, Harold was doing some publicity photos with some prop bombs - or so he thought.  It turns out one of the bombs was real.  The bomb was lit while Harold held it and exploded.  He was lucky it didn’t kill him, but the explosion did leave severe scars on his face, made him temporarily blind and most long lasting, blew off two fingers on his right hand.  Going forward, Harold would wear a prosthetic hand in his films.  While I do have to ask what a real bomb was doing in the set, it is a testimony to Harold that he would suffer such a huge obstacle and not only come back, but continue to do what he did before in even better films.  Oh, and to add more to the morbid nature of all this.  There is a heavy set butler in this film early on, played by Dee Lampton.  Aged 20, he was dead 9/2/19 of appendicitis, so he was dead only weeks after his scenes were shot.

All this out of the way, we still have a film to discuss.  HAUNTED SPOOKS, in a nutshell, is a brilliantly constructed comedy, perhaps his most brilliant to date, until they get into the haunted house.  When they get into the haunted house, the film becomes a fun, but basic scare comedy.  The basic plot of the film is the kind of thing that was common in the silent era and done on stage several times.  Somebody, in this case, Mildred Davis, inherits a fortune, but she has to be married and stay in the relatives mansion with her husband for a year.  If she doesn’t, she loses the fortune and it goes to her uncle, who sets the house up to appear haunted and scare Mildred away.  This type of plot is deeply a part of the early American horror film.  Mildred Davis herself is great here.  She starts out playing this real unbelievably innocent girl who loves animals and is too good be to be true to the point of comic absurdity.  Mildred was great at playing that kind of role and it would only be her that does it, as it was uncommon for Bebe Daniels or Jobyna Ralston.  It gets more comical in that the moment she marries Harold, she instantly grows up and starts barking orders.

The beginning and middle of this film are so brilliantly constructed.  Harold, before meeting Mildred, is trying to woo this other girl and has great scenes with a rival in trying to get the father’s permission for marriage.  Harold’s intro scene is the girl sitting on his lap, only to get up and reveal Harold.  Very funny.  Then there are these perfectly symmetrical chases and the rivals pushing each other back plus a comical mini fight scene.

Once Harold wins the father’s permission, the girl has found another lover.  This seamlessly leads to Harold’s next extended gag - committing suicide.  Keaton did a similar thing a bit later in HARD LUCK, but Harold is just as brilliant here.  I won’t give gags away, but let’s just say clever things involving cars, guns, and bridges that all flow perfectly together.  This part ends when the lawyer that is trying to get Mildred married so she can have her fortune almost runs over a suicidal Harold.  So naturally, he thinks to get this loon married to Mildred. 

Once they very suddenly get married and Mildred takes over, we get a brilliant car scene.  Great gag involving trying to pass another car and chickens.  Mildred has a fenced box with chickens in it and a lot of comedy comes out of this which I won’t give away.  The point is that up until now, all of this stuff flows together so perfectly and is consistently witty and funny.  Very few could construct multiple comedy scenes one after the other like Lloyd at his best, and HAUNTED SPOOKS is a great example.

The haunted house stuff is a bunch of scared gags which is fun for the most part but doesn’t quite have the brilliance of what came before.  We do get to see “Sunshine” Sammy Morrison, an extremely talented kid who was the original black male role in the Our Gang films and would have a long career going as far as playing in The East Side Kids in the forties.  We also get to see a frightened Harold get his iconic hair spike in the air when scared, somewhat in the same vein as when Moe’s hair got blown upwards when scared.

So overall, a good film that gets overshadowed by behind the scenes events.  Going forward, these Lloyd shorts get even better.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Another work of genius from the great Harold Lloyd.  My goodness I see a lot of things Buster Keaton would do later in this one.  I am thoroughly impressed by this one.  That first feel is absolute comic genius start to finish.  Even the second reel has Lloyd's touch as we see the villains revealed in an unique way.

I see nothing to knock here really.  I am starting to understand why even in 2022 Harold Lloyd is still considered to be one of the best comedians ever.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Another work of genius from the great Harold Lloyd.  My goodness I see a lot of things Buster Keaton would do later in this one.  I am thoroughly impressed by this one.  That first feel is absolute comic genius start to finish.  Even the second reel has Lloyd's touch as we see the villains revealed in an unique way.

I see nothing to knock here really.  I am starting to understand why even in 2022 Harold Lloyd is still considered to be one of the best comedians ever.

Have you seen many of his features yet?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Chaplin's lack of productivity (two First National shorts in 1919, with no releases in 1920) left the door open for Harold Lloyd to thrive. "Haunted Spooks" remains among Lloyd's best two-reelers — ingeniously constructed and timelessly funny.  I agree that the first two-thirds are more successful than the climactic scare hijinks, yet the short never runs out of energy. Another gem from the Third Genius.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 12:47:21 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
Have you seen many of his features yet?

I haven't yet.  I want to go back to his Lonesome Luke short you already reviewed, but I really like marching through these in time order like this.  I get a better idea of the transition from good to great to genius better than by just watching a later and already highly praised product.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Chaplin's lack of productivity (two First National shorts in 1919, with no releases in 1920) left the door open for Harold Lloyd to thrive.  "Haunted Spooks" remains among Lloyd's best two-reelers — ingeniously constructed and timelessly funny.  I agree that the first two-thirds are more successful than the climactic scare hijinks, yet the short never runs out of energy. Another gem from the Third Genius.

Chaplin was slaving away on THE KID during these years, but it shows how confident he must have been in his fame to take so much time.  But you’re right, definitely opened up the market for Lloyd.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I liked this one, both the first and second reel. The first reel had a good plot, the part where Harold is in a romance triangle and actually loses, that leads to the suicide scene. I know nowadays there is more controversy about these types of gags (in old Looney Tunes airings they censor scenes like these) but I found it funny the ways that he tries to commit suicide. The bridge part was my favorite when it looked like it was going to be deep only to be very shallow. I also like the car scene that follows, especially due to the background scenery.

I like horror settings, so the second part worked perfectly fine. We do get a stereotypical black man scared of ghosts, but what was cool is that he actually captured one of the villains. Sunshine Sammy was good here and it's not hard to see why he was made to be one of the early stars of Our Gang. Some of the early Our Gang kids were very good (I really like Joe Cobb and Allen Hoskins).

Offline Umbrella Sam

Another solid effort overall. Not going to lie, with that name, I was expecting the second half to be the majority of the short. Regarding that second half, the obvious stereotypes were a bit uncomfortable, but like HomokHarcos, I also like the twist at the end with the one guy capturing one of the villains. One thing that stood out to me here was Mildred Davis’s acting. I was watching GIRL SHY not too long ago and trying to study what made the two so different but equally effective. Watching Ralston, she appeared very subtle, someone who wanted to appear as natural as possible in her performance, and she was obviously very good at it. Mildred was like the complete opposite. She tended to overact, but I mean it in the best possible way. Just watch her expressions throughout; when she’s driving with Harold and the chickens behind them, her laughter is kind of contagious, and when she’s scared during the haunted house scenes, she does it in pretty much the same over-the-top way Harold or any other comedian of the time would. That’s another reason why she was such a natural fit with Harold.

The first half is also very funny, if not funnier. The scenes with Harold getting his rival declared insane is really funny and I also enjoy the HARD LUCK type scenes. Probably my favorite part is when he’s getting ready to jump off the bridge and these guys interrupt him so casually, not caring in the slightest what he’s about to do. I like dark humor like that; the kind of thing that passes by quickly without constantly hammering it in.

Despite all the troubles surrounding this production, they still managed to turn out a good product, and that is indeed impressive.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

You’re right Sam, Mildred did overreact a lot, but in a fun way.  It suited the films of the time.  By the time Jobyna came in, the female lead was written more adult like.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead

Offline Umbrella Sam

I can’t believe I forgot to mention this, but Walt Disney actually saw this film. In 1930, he had Floyd Gottfredson put a story arc in the MICKEY MOUSE comic strip in which Mickey attempted suicide and it’s believed he was recalling this film when he requested it. In fact, the gag with Harold jumping off the bridge on to the boat was pretty much remade with Mickey as part of this arc.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
I can’t believe I forgot to mention this, but Walt Disney actually saw this film. In 1930, he had Floyd Gottfredson put a story arc in the MICKEY MOUSE comic strip in which Mickey attempted suicide and it’s believed he was recalling this film when he requested it. In fact, the gag with Harold jumping off the bridge on to the boat was pretty much remade with Mickey as part of this arc.

He plagiarized STEAMBOAT BILL, JR.  He plagiarized HAUNTED SPOOKS.  Walt Disney was one heck of a plagiarist.
#1 fire kibitzer