Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The First 100 Years (1924) - Harry Langdon

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0014903/

We step next into THE FIRST 100 YEARS, which is only a partially lost film.  13 out of approximately 20 minutes of film exists as well as a few stills.  The lost parts are scattered, making this one easy to follow but disjointed and lacking some context.

The film is in two parts.  The first part shows how Harry meets his wife; the second deals with domestic incidents.  The ending seems like it was stolen from an O'Henry short story, but I have digressed.

Everything works together in this one, but it's fragmented.  The actors all work together well, and Alice Day and Harry have really gelled at this point.  Louise Carver does great as another hatchet-faced bully.  Frank Coleman is serviceable in what actually may be his most important role as an actor (not that high of compliments really).  Madeline Hurlock needs no introduction.

Harry's character is fully fleshed now, and it results in a solid product. This one really feels like a Harry Langdon short that just happens to be a Mack Sennett production..
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

This short really does feel disjointed and is hard to fully judge based on it being partially lost.

Based on what we do have, the guy falling off the cliff and surviving is classic Sennett and hysterical.  Great moment.  Alice Day is really wonderful here.  There are a few scenes where she is jealous of Madeline Hurlock where it looks like she is going to burn a hole through the screen.  Louise Carver is wonderful as usual.

As far as Harry, the written characterization feels like a step back from the previous film.  More like a typical husband with a bit of a wandering eye, no surreal events like waiting for Santa or being frightened by balloons.  Still, the physical acting in and of itself is good Harry.  When he is around the house scared, there are very slow and cautious movements and that round face is unmistakable.  Nice reaction to the old warhorse of ketchup as blood gag as well.  Really a case where the physical being of Harry is here, the writing not quite.  Then again, perhaps the whole film showing up may solve this.  The still of him suddenly praying makes me wonder the original context and looks interesting.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

This a spook comedy, the beginning is really to set up what happens in the home after the couple get married. Madeline Hurlock stood out here for me, in particular with the ending. There are a lot of marriage mixup comedies but this is the rare case where it's the woman who causes the confusion doing her job.

The gag where the plates are thrown onto the shelf is one that is more mechanical that is not even about the comic but is funny because of the way the special effects look. The part where the ax is above Harry's head and he thinks he has been killed was a gag that Jules White liked to use earlier.  The funniest part of the film for me, probably because of how unlike Harry it is, is when he calmly and casually punches the villain out.

Offline Umbrella Sam

It is a bit difficult to judge properly given how much is lost (Yeah, HIS NEW MAMMA was missing some scenes too, but you could at least follow along with what was happening despite that). From what survives, though, this does work. I actually think Harry seems very in character here; whenever he’s with Madeline Hurlock, he seems like he genuinely doesn’t understand what’s going on. The moments that play like a haunted house comedy are the standouts here. Harry’s reactions are great; I especially love how he sees the guy under the table behind him, and then just hits him with a brick without really freaking out; it reminds me a lot of a moment in the Tom and Jerry cartoon SOLID SERENADE, where Tom knows he’s being watched, but doesn’t even give a chance for a chase before just hitting Spike with the brick. That’s my favorite moment too, HomokHarcos. It’s so unusual for a comedy that you just have to laugh. I also like the twist at the end with Madeline’s character.

The first half’s good too; I like some of the more obvious Sennett moments like the guy falling off the cliff or Harry being pulled by the dog running away from the house. I also like the moment with Harry thinking the knife got him. For a film that’s so fragmented, it actually still plays very well from a comedic standpoint.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

I agree with both of you, the part where Harry knocks out the villain is very clever and funny.
- Doug Sarnecky