Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

The Vagabond (1916) - Charlie Chaplin

<< < (2/2)

Umbrella Sam:
Glad to know I’m not the only one who felt both THE VAGABOND and THE KID had similarities, especially with the surprisingly ambiguous endings. They’re certainly endings that work and when thinking about the flow of the stories in the films themselves, do seem like happy endings, but they do leave us with more questions when we think about them more deeply (I think you could make somewhat of an argument for THE KID’s ending being a bit more conclusive, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there).

THE VAGABOND does play more like a drama than a comedy, but, as we know, Chaplin was good with drama. When reviewing THE CIRCUS, I mentioned how much I liked Chaplin’s introduction to Merna Kennedy and how it’s pretty much a random encounter he doesn’t initially think much of. This is the same; he only comes to the gypsy camp at first to perform for money and doesn’t even really seem to notice Edna at first until she reacts to his performance. It might seem like a small detail, but I like that kind of thing; slowly building relationships with characters so they appear more natural.

As far as comedy, yeah, it’s lighter, though it certainly doesn’t start off that way. That whole opening scene is really good, especially the chase between the multiple doors. The initial meeting with Edna also allows for Charlie to have some fun moments with his violin and constantly falling in the bucket. And while that chase is certainly rooted in tension, it still works and allows for Chaplin to have a clever moment when hiding in the tree. The rest of it is mostly straight drama from there but, again, I think it works well. I agree this is definitely an important film in the Chaplin filmography, given its heavy emphasis on the drama and character building.

HomokHarcos:
The first section was my favorite, particularly when Chaplin is playing music then the band plays over him. That seems like a talkie gag and indeed would have worked better in a later film, but the arrangement did a fine job filling me in.

My favorite part after that was when Edna started doing her chores when Chaplin played the violin. It was the funniest part at the camp section. I also like the outdoor setting at the side of the road. The whole list daughter part does seem to come out of nowhere, and was a way to lighten up the mood.

I haven’t seen any Griffith Biograph films aside from a gangster one, but since they are short films maybe I should start watching more.

Paul Pain:
CASH AND CARRY, STEAMBOAT BILL JR., AGORA LOVE... all different films that rely heavily on pathos, and all are amazing films in their own right.  So, too, THE VAGABOND is an incredible and gripping two reeler that really shows the full range of Chaplin's abilities even if it leaves us with questions at the end.  Charlie maybe just wanted us to think a little more after watching this one.

NoahYoung:

--- Quote from: metaldams on February 08, 2022, 05:47:43 AM ---Welcome to the board!  Agree with your assessment about this short being a good silent film intro for the skeptical.  It’s a good length and the story and characters are gripping enough.

--- End quote ---

Thank you! I have come across this site over the years but I don't know why I hadn't joined before now. It talks about all my favorite comedians.

Regarding this film, the fact the it makes you think when it is over is definitely one of it's strong points. Same as "City Lights". It seems like what you are not shown on screen (i.e. what happens next) is just as important as what is shown on screen.

He could have ended it like Keaton's "The Blacksmith", lol, but that film was of course made later. I love Keaton, btw.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version