Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

His New Mamma (1924) - Harry Langdon

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0014992/

The next two Harry Langdon shorts, FLICKERING YOUTH and THE CAT'S MEOW are both lost films.  Thus, we skip to HIS NEW MAMMA.

HIS NEW MAMMA is again much more of a Sennett short than a Langdon short.  Harry's character is all there in this one: slow, easily spooked, weak, but with a strong sense of right and wrong.  The result is an odd little short but cohesive even if it's just 15 minutes.

The sets and gags are all typical of silent fare of the period with plenty of destruction ready to occur and nothing going to waste.  The Christmas tree, the bed, the door, the window, the cars, the beach, etc. all become sets for destruction.  We even get stock footage from PICKING PEACHES here, and the same sets are used!  Yes, folks, the Sennett Bathing Beauties get 3 minutes of this one, and even the title cards poke fun at it.

Alice Day and Harry are really clicking here, and it'll be interesting to see how this builds.  While these silent film stunts could be done by any decent comedian, I find the emotions to be much more dependent on the chemistry between the leading actors.  There's a similar chemistry now between Harry and Andy Clyde, who, I think, has been in every short so far.

It's not a bad short by any means, but it's still not really a Harry Langdon film.  It's more of a high quality Sennett film with Harry's character as the hero.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Not a lot to say about this one. Kind of another typical Sennett short that just happens to have Harry Langdon in it. From a character standpoint, he’s certainly much more like himself than in PICKING PEACHES; this time he’s not flirting at the beach, he’s just trying to do his job. A lot of the beach stuff is boring and drawn out and the chase almost seems too fast for its own good. I don’t know if it’s just that the print isn’t very good or something else, but something about it just seemed off, like they were out of ideas and basically just throwing everything imaginable in, including crazy cops. As far as gags go, the one that I think really stands out the most is the one in the first half with the balloon, and I also enjoy the moment where Harry’s trying to get the car out of the parking spot and finds another solution. So, yeah, some stuff works, some stuff doesn’t. Pretty much an average Sennett short for that period.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

I had a lot of fun with this one, even if it's admittedly a gag film. The snow setting was beautiful. Although I don't like winter in real life because it is cold, I have always liked the way it looked with all of the snow. Thus, I'm a big fan of snowy settings. I also like the house design with the fireplace and the Christmas tree. The balloon gag was fun and it reminded of Spook Louder. The chase scene with Andy Clyde was pretty funny. Andy Clyde was a pretty good supporting player and he somehow looks older here than he did with Columbia.

The second reel is not as good but there were a few gags that made me laugh, particularly when they get out of the parking spot. It was so fake and cheesy. There was another gag that was so cartoony I laughed: when the Bathing Beauty made a dive into the water. It makes me want to watch more Sennett films.

Offline metaldams

The first five minutes or so of this film is lost.  There are more bits with Harry and Madeline Hurlock where she kisses Harry and they are alone together, so that part supposedly is developed more than what we have available.

I really love this short.  Harry Langdon, as a character, is established at this point.  The idea of a grown man, being able to work as a cab driver, flirted with and considered a romantic rival in his father’s eyes yet at the same time, can’t sleep on Christmas Eve because Santa is coming.  If that doesn’t sum up Harry Langdon, I don’t know what does.

There are parts in the first reel tailor made for Harry.  The slowly going down the stairs and being scared of every little noise is a perfect opportunity to see Harry slow down and let us just enjoy his reactions and nervous nature.  The balloon gag is also great for Harry and yes, Curly too.  Different style comedians yet they can take the same gag and make it works for themselves.  Harry is is about the slowness and wide eyed stare and Curly the special noises he makes.  I also love the bit with Harry going to bed and the reactions with the candle and Andy Clyde’s beard.  Again, the gags are great, but it’s Harry’s reactions that really sell it and slow things down to his unique pace.

The second reel indeed turns into a more typical Sennett film, but a fun one.  The bathing beauties are great here and I love the bit when Harry is chasing after them, only for a confused Harry to turn around and run the other way when the girls turn around on Harry.  Another signature Langdon bit.  The big finale at the end is typical destructive and fast paced Sennett and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  A nice mix of Langdon and Sennett here.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Allen Champion

" I really love this short.  Harry Langdon, as a character, is established at this point.  The idea of a grown man, being able to work as a cab driver, flirted with and considered a romantic rival in his father’s eyes yet at the same time, can’t sleep on Christmas Eve because Santa is coming.  If that doesn’t sum up Harry Langdon, I don’t know what does. "

That nails it!   I'm just wild about Harry.
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"