Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Led Zeppelin Album Discussion

Offline HomokHarcos

I liked this album a lot more than Presence, it just felt a lot more fun. The keyboards and synthesizers gave a fresh sound to Led Zeppelin, one that they might have continued into the 1980s. I also noticed that Robert Plant's vocals were usually lower pitched on this album than what he did earlier.

"In the Evening" is a more straightforward rock track, that happens to have synthesizers in it. Like Umbrella Sam, I've also started to gain appreciation for them. "South Bound Saurez" has a very good, almost boogie-woogie style piano playing, with a very catchy guitar riff also. "Fool in the Rain" is the only song I knew from this album, it gets quite a bit of airplay on classic rock stations. The verses are very catchy with the guitar and the piano, and there's a section that gives me a tropical island feeling. This an example of a song that sounds like Led Zeppelin were just trying to have fun. "Hot Dog" has got to be Elvis inspired, Plant sounds like he is sort of imitating him. The ragtime piano is also very good! I'm loving these throwback songs that they are doing. The album cover was perfect for this album.

"Carouselambra" has got to be my favorite Zeppelin synth track. This sounds like something from the 1980s, I do wonder how many artists may have been influenced by this track (or maybe Zeppelin were taking from others, admittedly I'm not an expert in prog rock). Even the middle section without the synth was quite enjoyable. "All My Love" was good, but one of my least favorite songs on this album. The synth was used in a style that seemed to be classical influenced. "I'm Gonna Crawl" was quite unique, being a synth blues song. It really was surprisingly a mixture of their early blues based work, and the synth style prominent on this album. Perfect bookend.

What a journey for Led Zeppelin! Mostly great catalog, and like The Beatles didn't need to continue on.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

That little section in the middle of Fool in the Rain--I'm not sure what the right word for it is, perhaps Merengue or samba? Anyway, that was always the highlight of that song for me, which also leads into Bonham going into beast mode coming out of the break & Jimmy's fuzzbox solo is a highpoint as well.

I guess the soccer whistles were another example of Led Zeppelin humor, but it's very fitting for that part of the song... 
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I know this guy who insists the whistle in “Fool in the Rain” was a disco thing, making this Zeppelin’s disco song.  I don’t see it one bit.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

It's funny you say that Doug, I know of some people who have tried to say that Trampled Under Foot is Zeppelin's attempt at disco....   :-\
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

CODA.  A fitting title for the album that ends Led Zeppelin.  Released in 1982, Zeppelin basically owed Atlantic Records one more album.  As a result, we get this collection of outtakes.  My relationship with CODA is a bizarre one.  I may have heard this album one or two times in my life - maybe.  I can’t remember a specific time I sat down for the CODA experience.  However, I have heard all these tracks countless times.

In the early nineties, for the first time, Jimmy Page remastered the Led Zeppelin catalog.  There was an awesome 4 CD box set released in 1990 and in 1993, BOX SET 2 was released.  Between those two sets, one could own every Led Zeppelin song sequenced in a unique order.  I got both sets when I was in high school, so this is how I’m familiar with the CODA tracks.  Really, nothing that stands out as all time classic, though there are some enjoyable songs that for me, work well in the context of these box sets.

“We’re Gonna Groove”  My favorite CODA track and a cover song given a really hard edge by Zeppelin that does not appear on any albums.  Recorded live from Royal Albert Hall, the same show that appears on the DVD.

“Poor Tom”  A folksy, atmospheric LED ZEPPELIN III outtake that has a cool drum beat throughout.  Nice acoustic work and Plant vocals, would have worked well on the album.

“I Can’t Quit You Baby”  Again from the Royal Albert Hall show.  This has a lot more passion and fire than the LED ZEPPELIN I version, so this is my favorite version by far.

“Walter’s Walk”  Nice beat and an OK riff.  These verse vocal sounds a bit underdeveloped and this is a HOUSES OF THE HOLY outtake, so you know I’m obligated to say still better than “D’yer M’aker,” but not any of the outtakes used on PHYSICAL GRAFFITI.

“Ozone Baby”  Three out of the next four of these are IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR outtakes and are more guitar oriented than anything that appeared on the album.  This song, though played by better musicians, sounds closer to, dare I say, punk.

“Darlene” A simple, fun rocker.  Nothing major, again more guitar oriented like the other ITTOD outtakes, but not quite as punk.

“Bonzo’s Montreux” Recorded by John Bonham in 1976.  He came down to Montreux on the Lake Geneva shoreline to make make records with - Jimmy Page.  Jimmy produced this for Bonzo during some down time, really just a case of Bonham experimenting with electronic drums.  I’m more a “Moby Dick” guy and prefer acoustic drums.

“Wearing and Tearing” The closing track and another ITTOD outtake.  This one is really heavy and has a punk energy, yet played with a technicality the punks could never match.  That speed riff is quite awesome.

That would be the end of the album, however, in reissues, a couple of bonus tracks normally appear.

“Hey, Hey What Can I Do”  I could have included this in the LED ZEPPELIN III discussion but will leave it here.  The b-side to “Immigrant Song” and the only non album b-side this band ever released.  An acoustic classic with some real catchy melodies about Plant’s “street corner girl.”  Would have fit well on the third album, I love this track better than any song on CODA.

“Baby Come On Home”  Made it’s premier in 1993 on BOX SET 2.  A first album outtake, this has a real lounge like, smokey pool room ballad feel to it and there are a few tracks I wished it would have replaced on the first album.

So there it is, the Led Zeppelin catalog.  Robert Plant would go on to have an extremely prolific solo career that continues to this day that frankly, I need to explore more.  The first two solo albums, which I’ve heard a few times, are enjoyable.  Page less prolific, work briefly with Paul Rodgers in The Firm, David Coverdale and even Plant himself in the nineties.  John Paul Jones I’ve lost track of, though I’m aware of Them Crooked Vultures and some production duties, namely with Heart.  Yup, as of this writing, the other three guys outside of Bonham are still with us.

A great, decade long catalog who, like The Beatles, knew when to call it quits.  I’m glad you guys seem to enjoy Zeppelin.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I'm glad you covered some of the bonus Coda tracks that have been released over the years, because I'm only familiar with the early 90s remaster that just had the standard 8 tracks & Baby Come on Home may be that one Zeppelin song that I still haven't listened to, along with some half-baked rehearsals that I've seen on Youtube, but haven't deeply dived into. I believe one of those Coda re-releases even included the live White Summer, Black Mountain Side, which may be most famous for the 1977 tour when it became the prelude to Kashmir.

As for the Coda, original 8, I would have to dock a few points off for the live tracks that were used from Royal Albert Hall, because of the invasive butchery Jimmy did to those tracks for this album. Much prefer to hear the raw, unedited versions from the Zeppelin DVD. The most enjoyable tracks for me are the leftovers from ITTOD. If there ever was a song driven by the rhythm section, it's Ozone Baby--although I could say the same for a different outtake in Walter's Walk.

I've said this before, the only change I could see myself making to ITTOD is swapping South Bound Saurez for Darlene. And to show the band could tackle any musical genre, even one that had taken to calling Classic Rock bands "dinosaurs," the punky Wearing and Tearing is a great closer.

Not a great album by any means, but--taken for what it is--it's a nice companion piece to the rest of the Zeppelin catalog & nothing to be ashamed of, other than Jimmy editing those live cuts.

7/10....

Offline HomokHarcos

I feel like this was a pretty good release, especially the second side, which included the In Through the Out Door outtakes. I liked all four of the tracks.

The first half was also stellar, "We're Gonna Groove", "Poor Tom", and "Walter's Walk" are bonus tracks from their earlier years that I'm glad to hear. I'm happy that we get more tracks from this earlier period.

The second side I thought was very strong. "Ozone Baby" is a hard rocking tune with Robert Plant's more subdued vocal style, I could tell it was an outtake from that album from that alone. "Darlene" is a more traditional rock and roll style song, I love the keyboards here, really upbeat in a 1950s style. "Bonzo's Montreux" was quite surprising, but I liked it a lot. Sort of an industrial rock feel to that song, I like the sound used near the very end of the song. "Wearing and Tearing" is also another very strong song. I like the punk riffs used in the chorus. I was never really into punk music until earlier this year, when my stepdad's friend put it on. Kind of reminds somewhat of the early Police songs.

"Hey, Hey What Can I Do" holds a special place for me, because it was my dad's favorite song, so I always think of him when I hear it. I'm glad we got to cover it, I really think it should have been put on Led Zeppelin III. Really, a lot of these tracks I think were good enough to be on previous studio albums. I thought "Baby Come on Home" was just OK, it almost sounds like church music.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Kind of hard to judge this one, as it’s clearly not a cohesive album due to all the tracks coming from different eras, but I can see why some of these tracks were left off of the main albums. Songs like “We’re Gonna Groove” and “Walter’s Walk” aren’t super memorable and feel like throwaway numbers, and “Bonzo’s Montreux” is kind of just this weird drum/synth experiment that doesn’t really work for me. There’s some decent stuff here; “Poor Tom” was kind of cool, although on the version I listened to, Plant’s vocals sounded a bit too buried in the mix. The main highlights are the IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR outtakes. “Darlene” is a pretty solid number with good drumming and a nice piano/guitar blend. “Ozone Baby” is also good, although I think the way Plant sings “ooh” feels so out of touch with the rest of the song that it’s really distracting.

So, yeah, some good stuff, but nothing I would consider top tier Zeppelin...if we’re talking about the original album. “Hey, Hey What Can I Do” may be one of the greatest Zeppelin songs I’ve heard. It’s easily superior to its A-side and anything on CODA. The acoustic work is fantastic, the drums appropriately support the lighter musical tone, and Plant’s gives a beautiful vocal performance. I can’t comprehend how this got designated to B-side status in favor of something like “Hats Off to (Roy) Harper” making the main album. Fantastic song, absolutely loved it. As for the other bonus track, “Baby Come On Home”, it’s decent. The backing vocals are kind of cool and I really like the organ part. I also kind of prefer it to the other CODA tracks, but not nearly as much as “Hey, Hey What Can I Do”.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com