Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

The Fireman (1916) - Charlie Chaplin

<< < (2/2)

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Umbday on January 25, 2022, 11:41:26 AM ---Funny thing is — even though I've purchased the upgraded DVD/Blurays of the Mutuals — a few years ago I picked up a DVD set specifically because it contained the Van Buren scores. Cartoony, yes. (The conductor, Winston Sharples, literally scored Popeye cartoons in that era.) But the Van Buren scores were there when I was first exposed to the Mutuals back in the mid-1970s. So, they've stayed with me.

Yes, The Fireman is the one Mutual that feels like a step backward. One interesting thing to watch, though — with many scenes shot in the streets directly outside Chaplin's Mutual studio, you'll notice many of the same settings in Keaton's films of the 20s. Keaton eventually inherited Chaplin's former studio, and Keaton was constantly shooting outside the studio walls in that neighborhood.

--- End quote ---

You’re absolutely right about the Keaton/Chaplin studio connection.  The same sets definitely exist in both groups of films if you look closely.

Paul Pain:
Definite more of a Keystone/Essanay film than a Chaplin film, especially with the absolute asinine behavior from the firemen as a group with the dances, acrobatics, and other such tomfoolery.  This kind of silly but harmless nonsense was mainstream in the 1910s.  They're fun in their own right, but nothing I would want to binge watch.

THE FIREMAN definitely is a step down, but a low quality Charlie Chaplin film is superb quality for many other comedians of the era.

Umbrella Sam:
I can see where everyone is getting the Keystone connection from, but it’s the good side of Keystone. It’s the side that’s focused on funny looking actors doing wild, physical stunts, not the plotless side that liked to focus on repetition. Yeah, the kicking stuff kind of fits the latter category, but otherwise I do think it’s paced very well and it does all build up to a climax that works. I’ve talked before about how funny I think Chaplin’s movement style is, but really I think that could apply to all the firemen here. It’s just so fun watching them bouncing around as they’re preparing to go out and fight the fire. And, of course, Eric Campbell is a delight as the over-the-top superior. I like seeing Chaplin playing off all these guys here; moments like the checkers game where he keeps moving the same pieces back and forth or when he accidentally knocks the guy’s head in the water does show that he could work well off of other comedians, which I think is something that’s easy to forget considering how much more the comedy centralized on him as the years went along.

I think I might be the lone dissenter on this one; I actually kind of preferred this to THE FLOORWALKER. The sheer energy, the outdoor scenery and the number of gags that don’t relate to kicking all do make for what I consider a more enjoyable experience. Yeah, THE FLOORWALKER had the funny business with the escalator, and that was funny too, but it did seem like they were often relying on the same set pieces throughout the short, whereas here, they have more of a wide variety of things to use; the engine, the kitchen, the pole, the bell that they try to stop from ringing...it just feels like this one has more to offer, and they take advantage of each of them. Yeah, the kicking gets a bit annoying, but it doesn’t really go on that long and the rest of it’s so good that I can forgive it. I just like seeing Chaplin in more of an ensemble setting, and when it comes to the climax, he does deliver with the fun chase and crazy stunt. Heck, even Edna’s given more to do here; not a ton, but she definitely felt like she had more of a reason to be here than in THE FLOORWALKER. So, yeah, I guess I really am in disagreement; I don’t currently consider this the weakest of the Chaplin Mutuals. I had a lot of fun watching it.

metaldams:
Glad you enjoyed this, Sam.

I actually think Edna is good here.  The flirtatious bits with Chaplin were very well done like when she drops the handkerchief - though my understanding is they really were an item, so perhaps it wasn’t all acting.  But still, she’s great here.

This short has really grown on me, there was a time I didn’t like it at all.  Can’t wait to hear all your opinions on the next Chaplin short.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version