Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Smile Please (1924) - Harry Langdon

<< < (2/2)

HomokHarcos:
I get the feeling from watching these shorts that Jules White was a big of Mack Sennett's work. It's pretty interesting that the Columbia shorts division was basically preserving his style of comedy. It's most notable with the marriage mixup bit, and yes it does seem completely random why Langdon is a sheriff. Harry Langdon does not quite feel like his childish character, instead playing more of a working man with his mishaps in marriage and work. Yes, the implication is kind of scary for what he was planning on doing to her in that room. I did like the part when he was jumping on the bicycles. They looked like dummies to my eyes, but a comedy is not hurt by something like that.

The end with the child reminds me of an Our Gang short where a photographer fails in his attempts to get a picture of Spanky and his family. Another part that might not be to everybody's tastes was the ending gag where the child was getting spanked (unknowingly) by his parents. The funniest part of the picture for me was when the firemen took their time doing exercises instead of going to the studio.

I like Sennett's work. Like the Columbia shorts the films are best if you spread out the viewings instead of binging.

I've found out just today that there was a series starring Alberta Vaughn called The Telephone Girl, I found one of them on YouTube. They are two-reel comedies.

metaldams:

--- Quote from: HomokHarcos on January 21, 2022, 07:49:10 AM ---I get the feeling from watching these shorts that Jules White was a big of Mack Sennett's work. It's pretty interesting that the Columbia shorts division was basically preserving his style of comedy. It's most notable with the marriage mixup bit, and yes it does seem completely random why Langdon is a sheriff. Harry Langdon does not quite feel like his childish character, instead playing more of a working man with his mishaps in marriage and work. Yes, the implication is kind of scary for what he was planning on doing to her in that room. I did like the part when he was jumping on the bicycles. They looked like dummies to my eyes, but a comedy is not hurt by something like that.

The end with the child reminds me of an Our Gang short where a photographer fails in his attempts to get a picture of Spanky and his family. Another part that might not be to everybody's tastes was the ending gag where the child was getting spanked (unknowingly) by his parents. The funniest part of the picture for me was when the firemen took their time doing exercises instead of going to the studio.

I like Sennett's work. Like the Columbia shorts the films are best if you spread out the viewings instead of binging.

I've found out just today that there was a series starring Alberta Vaughn called The Telephone Girl, I found one of them on YouTube. They are two-reel comedies.

--- End quote ---

Jules White was directing short films as far back as the early twenties.  His brother Jack (AKA Preston Black) worked for Educational Pictures and brought Jules along.  If anything, Jules was competing with Sennett back then but yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if he admired Sennett’s work as well and was surely influenced.

I got into silent comedy because of all The Three Stooges links.  There’s a ton of them.

HomokHarcos:

--- Quote from: metaldams on January 21, 2022, 06:46:59 PM ---Jules White was directing short films as far back as the early twenties.  His brother Jack (AKA Preston Black) worked for Educational Pictures and brought Jules along.  If anything, Jules was competing with Sennett back then but yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if he admired Sennett’s work as well and was surely influenced.

I got into silent comedy because of all The Three Stooges links.  There’s a ton of them.

--- End quote ---
Getting into silent comedy has given a treasure load of content to discover. You weren't kidding that there's enough to last a lifetime. There's just so many more I haven't seen any of yet but would like to: Larry Semon, Raymond Griffith and for Education specifically, Lloyd Hamilton and Lupino Lane.

metaldams:

--- Quote from: HomokHarcos on January 21, 2022, 07:49:10 AM ---I've found out just today that there was a series starring Alberta Vaughn called The Telephone Girl, I found one of them on YouTube. They are two-reel comedies.

--- End quote ---

I’ve been buying the “Accidentally Preserved” DVD series and vol. 2 just arrived in the mail today.  By pure coincidence, one of the shorts is SHERLOCK’S HOME from the exact series you mentioned.  They showed that one on Silent Comedy Watch Party too, but I’ll be watching more Alberta this eeekend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version