Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Black Sabbath Album Discussion Thread

metaldams · 129 · 9892

Offline metaldams

Alright, it’s another live album week, this time with Black Sabbath.  Treat this as a little history lesson to catch up with Ozzy and try to figure out why Dio left the first time.  Also treat this as a semi week off like the Zeppelin live entry - explore as casually as you like.

First, there’s the whole deal with the original line-up never releasing a live album in the 70’s.  Very strange because that was the golden age of live albums and you’d think it would have happened.  Well, they attempted it but the results were never satisfactory for the band.  One of these attempts was released in 1980 as an album called LIVE AT LAST.  It was recorded in 1973 and the band themselves did not sanction its release.  Why would they want to promote a live show from 1973 with Ozzy when Dio just joined the band?  Remember former manager Patrick Meehan?  He’s the one who released this, just to make a buck.  It’s not bad, but doesn’t quite have the gleam of official live albums (let’s be honest, most live albums are touched up in the studio).  Still, it’s a decent document of early live Sabbath.  Single LP, nine songs, eight of them straight forward and “Wicked World” being the 18 minute jam that screams it’s the seventies.

Come 2002, LIVE AT LAST would get an official, band sanctioned two CD set release called PAST LIVES.  The first CD is a cleaned up version of the 1973 show from LIVE AT LAST while CD two mixes mostly Paris 1970 with a few SABOTAGE era tracks from Asbury Park, 1975.  If you’re going to get one Sabbath live CD from the 1970’s, LIVE AT LAST is your best bet.  Sure, you can be a hardcore freak and buy some of the deluxe album editions that have come out in the past few years with live material, including the entire 1975 Asbury Park show on the SABOTAGE set (probably the best live audio Sabbath document from this era).  Just understand that overall, Sabbath were never recorded as well live as other bands in the seventies and it’s a shame.  Still, LIVE AT LAST is the best for the casual fan, but honestly, even then, I’d say you’re better off looking for the Asbury Park 1975 show on YouTube or watching video footage from Paris 1970.

OK, to bring things more up to date in our discussion, 1982 was finally the year we get professionally and officially sanctioned live Sabbath, from both Ozzy and Sabbath’s camps!  Two 2 LP live albums released one month apart!  Yes, the two sides feuded like Hell in the press over this, so here’s the story, first with Ozzy.  In September 1982, Ozzy recorded a few days worth of shows from The Ritz in New York playing nothing but Sabbath songs and released it as a double live album.  How and why, especially since at this point Ozzy had two classic studio solo albums to his credit.

Well, to catch up with Ozzy, on those two solo albums, he had a legit band and songwriting team backing him up with bassist/lyricist Bob Daisley, recently deceased drummer Lee Kerslake and guitar legend Randy Rhoads.  A band with true chemistry, sadly Ozzy ditched the rhythm section before going to America for Rudy Sarzo on bass and Tommy Aldridge on drums.  Fine players, but not quite the same chemistry as what he had before creatively.  As for Randy Rhoads, in one of rock’s great tragedies, he would perish in a plane crash March 19, 1982, age 25.  After that messed up and unnecessary incident, Ozzy quickly replaced Rhoads with the recently deceased Bernie Torme for I think about seven shows.  Torme before this played for Ian Gillian, who will sing on the next Black Sabbath album.  Small world.  After Torme left, he was replaced on the tour with Brad Gillis, who would find massive fame in Night Ranger, having a ton of hits in the 80’s.  Gillis is the guitarist on SPEAK OF THE DEVIL with Sarzo and Aldridge.

Looking at the track list, this makes an awesome set list.  Every Sabbath album except TECHNICAL ECSTASY is represented.  However, I hardly listen to this album for a reason a lot of people swear by this album.  It’s Sabbath played by post Van Halen style metal musicians.  They’re all great players, but I prefer my classic Sabbath to be more grounded in the seventies.  No speed picking Iommi riffs and no overly busy rhythm sections for me.  I want blues based rhythms and Iommi’s unmistakable style.  But that’s me.  There are some who prefer the eighties style of playing in these songs and it was this album that got them into Sabbath.  More power to them, but not me.  Oh, and one more thing, Ozzy is obviously stoned on something here, especially in between songs.  Comically so.

Why was this album done?  Simple.  Ozzy had a contract with current Sabbath manager and Sharon’s Dad Don Arden’s Jet Records.  Sharon and her Dad did not get along at this point and Ozzy and Sharon wanted out of the contract.  Two albums were still owed, so this double live album did the trick.

As for the actual Black Sabbath with Dio at this time, they released LIVE EVIL in December 1982.  Released after SPEAK OF THE DEVIL but recorded before from gigs in April and May, 1982.  This album is easily my favorite of what I’m writing about in this post.  A great mix of Dio era tracks and songs from the first three Black Sabbath albums.  I love Dio’s dramatic take on the song “Black Sabbath” and the way he hums the guitar melody line at the end of “War Pigs,” something Ozzy himself has done live since then!  You get the nice, long extended “Heaven and Hell” and man, that version of “Children of the Sea” is gorgeous.  I really dig this album a lot and that album cover is my favorite Black Sabbath album cover.  Notice the way each song gets represented on the cover.  Study it.

As far as the band itself, they broke up before the album’s release.  The story always told, whether true or not I don’t know, is Iommi and Butler would go in during the day to do a mix of the album and at night Dio would go in at night and the mixes would clash.  There’s also the two new guys being Americans and the two originals being British, so perhaps a culture clash at first.  Appice stated at first he couldn’t understand Iommi and Butler’s accents!  Then there was the fact Dio signed a solo deal with Warner Brothers records.  He left the band, took Vinny Appice with him and along with Vivian Campbell and the late Jimmy Bain, the original Dio band was formed.  Like Ozzy, a solo catalogue worth exploring and like Ozzy, especially the first two albums.

Black Sabbath is out a singer and drummer, so next entry, we get a return of one member and another new member who is more famous for other things besides Black Sabbath.  Yes folks, Bill Ward returns and Ian Gillan of Deep Purple - I’m assuming you guys know “Smoke on the Water,” - takes a stab at the mic.  This is an album and era of the band I can’t wait to talk about!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I thought both of those albums were very good, I was surprised how good Ozzy sounded live. I was hoping "Air Dance" would be on there, I'm really curious how that song would sound live, as I think that is still my favorite Black Sabbath song. Would not doubt that Ozzy was stoned while playing this setlist. Also, I think it's funny that he got out of his contract by releasing a double live album, I think there was something similar in the Elton John thread about a live album filling out a contract.

Not surprised with Dio at all, though. I knew he would be a great live vocalist. I wondered how he was going to sound on the Sabbath songs originally recorded with Ozzy, and that was the main reason I was looking forward to this. Most of the songs worked with him quite well. Even "Black Sabbath", which was the one song that I was expecting him to not mesh well with.

Offline metaldams

“Air Dance” was never played live.  Chris Alo mentioned in the video above Ozzy playing “Never Say Die” for SOTD was the only time anybody from the Sabbath camp played any song off that album after the NEVER SAY DIE TOUR.  Even on the tour, only the title track was played regularly, with occasional “Shockwave” and “Swinging the Chain” performances.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Decided to mainly focus on LIVE EVIL for this, as it goes with where we’re at chronologically and I’ve really been gaining such an appreciation for Dio, having only just learned who he was from this discussion and subsequently discovering some really excellent songs in his catalogue. Like HomokHarcos, I too was most interested in hearing how he handled the Ozzy era songs. He does a lot of them actually quite faithfully to the original, the only differences being the key changes to be more suited to his vocal range, and that’s fine with me. His versions of “N.I.B.” and “Children of the Grave” were especially good. And, of course, the actual Dio era stuff is fantastic too, especially an excellent rendition of “Children of the Sea” and an interesting mix of “The Sign of the Southern Cross” and a reprise of “Heaven and Hell”. A great way to mix the old with the new and Dio feels like he has a real chemistry with the audience that I’m kind of surprised to hear; I guess I always expect the energy to not really be there from the audience when they’re not watching the originals, but they seem to have accepted him quite easily judging from this. Very enjoyable album with everyone in top form.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Way too busy of a weekend for me so far.  Going to try to catch up on music and film reviews later today, including commenting on Elton and finishing up Zeppelin, but in the mean time, here’s a preview of the Sabbath singer for next week’s review.  Late and great keyboardist Jon Lord talking before and after the song.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

OK, let’s get the album cover out of the way.  One of the worst and greatest album covers for Black Sabbath.  It was the idea of manager Don Arden and the band hated it.  Singer Ian Gillan said he threw up when he saw it.  It is unquestionably the Ed Wood of Black Sabbath album covers, but for all of its baby devilishness, is iconic in its own way.  Yes, they make t-shirts of this.

Speaking of new singer Ian Gillan, who is he?  He’s from the UK and from a professional recording point of view, his first act was from the mid sixties called Episode Six.  They were a male/female harmony group that did covers as a-sides and the b-sides tended to be originals penned by bassist Roger Glover.  In 1970, Gillan and Glover joined the classic second line up of Deep Purple and remained there until 1973.  Classic stuff if you want to understand early hard rock.  If Zeppelin is Chaplin and Sabbath is Keaton, Purple is Lloyd.  In 1970, Gillan also sang on the album version of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR.  The best selling album that year, Gillan sang the role of Jesus, so yeah, not a bit role by any means.  After leaving Purple in 1973, he resurfaced with The Ian Gillan Band in 1976, which played more a jazz fusion style.  In 1978 up to 1982 he formed just plain old Gillan, a more hard rock/metal band that released six highly underrated albums.

Gillan joined Sabbath in early 1983.  The story goes management set up a meeting between Gillan, Tony and Geezer, just to chat.  They met in a pub, got really drunk and that night Gillan agreed to join Black Sabbath.  The next morning, Ian Gillian’s manager had to remind him he joined Sabbath because he couldn’t remember the previous night and also insisted he consult his manager before making major career decisions!  This album cycle of Black Sabbath is the most fun when it comes to Spinal Tap worthy stories like this.

Another major event is that drummer Bill Ward rejoins the band for this album.  Bill at this point is sober and this would be the first album he ever recorded as such.  Unfortunately, the idea of touring was too much for him so he fell off the wagon and the drummer from this tour was Electric Light Orchestra’s Bev Bevan.  If you think that’s a strange choice, he’s also from Birmingham and managed by Don Arden and did a good job on the tour.  Bill Ward would get sober in 1984 and remains so to this day.  This would be the last Sabbath album he’ll play on, though a couple of random studio tracks for a Sabbath project and multiple reunion tours are in the future.

The final thing I want to bring up before doing the track by track is the mix.  Not only did Ian Gillan throw up seeing the album cover, but also hearing the mix.  I have grown used to it over the years, but it is very bassy, boomy and distorted in parts.  The master tapes, thought to be lost, were found within the past year and Tony Iommi plans to re-release this album soon remixed.  We’ll see.  Mixing issues aside, I consider BORN AGAIN to be the last classic Black Sabbath album, though there is still good music ahead.  Sabbath never made a total dud, in my opinion.  Onto the track by track.

“Trashed”  The British media referred to this line-up as Deep Sabbath.  Well, I do agree at least this song has a Deep Purple feel to it.  The verse has a driving rhythm a bit like “Highway Star” and lyrically it’s one of Ian Gillan’s story songs.  About a stupid drunk driving stunt he pulled, he’s lucky to still be alive.  The bridge is fantastic and has some cool Bill Ward drumming and confessional lyrics.  A great, classic rocker to open this thing.

“Stonehenge” Another one of those bass and keyboard atmospheric instrumentals that lead to a heavier track.  I’ll use this space as an opportunity to mention Sabbath tried to use a Stonehenge set very similar to Spinal Tap, except their set was too large to fit into most arenas.  I’ll just link a five minute video of Ian Gillan telling some Spinal Tap moments with Sabbath, he’s a good story teller.

“Disturbing the Priest” My favorite song on the album and one of my favorite Sabbath songs.  About as horror themed of a Sabbath song you will find since the first album.  Creepy guitar harmonics and crushing chords punctuated in just the right place from Iommi.  Singing wise, in a fifty five year career, this is as histrionic and over the top as Ian Gillan gets.  Insane cackles and screams.  Not usually a straight heavy metal singer, but when Gillan goes that route, he lets you know.  So friggin’ heavy, I love it.

“The Dark/Zero the Hero”  The second best song on the album.  The main guitar riff is said to have inspired Guns N’ Roses “Paradise City” and I can see some similarities in the beginnings of both riffs.  Some really heavy bass chords played by Geezer Butler really add to the song and lyrically this is one of those word salads Ian Gillan occasionally likes to do.  Another classic.

“Digital Bitch”  Rumors, just rumors now, that this song was written about Sharon Osbourne.  A nice little speed rocker to open side two.  Love the bass just before the rhythm section kicks in.  There’s some great guitar soloing throughout and another really catchy bridge.  Another cool track.

“Born Again”  The title track ballad of the album and this song, more than any other, suffers from the mix, in my opinion.  Still a great song with a fantastic Gillan performance and emotional guitar playing from Iommi.  Search out a pre mixed version of this on YouTube to really check out subtleties in Gillan’s vocals and also check out the Deep Purple song “Wasted Sunsets” a year after this to get a better mixed example of his ballad singing around this time.

“Hot Line” What a great riff that drives this thing along with the rest of the rhythm section.  Gillan turns in another fantastic vocal performance.  Not too much else to say, the song just rocks because it does.

“Keep It Warm” A classy closing track Gillan wrote to his lady about coming home from a tour.  Again, not the kind of thing you’d normally get from Sabbath, which makes this an interesting one-off.  Excellent chorus, fantastic drumming from Bill Ward and some really nice guitar playing to close out the album.

So yeah, I love every song here and have grown used to the mix - but yes, if Iommi releases this album re-mixed, I’d be the first to want to hear it.  If this is your introduction to Ian Gillan, admittedly a strange one.  A fascinating one-off in a fifty five year career for him.  Consider this the equivalent of Roger Daltrey replacing Mick Jagger for one album in The Rolling Stones.  I should also mention Black Sabbath did play “Smoke On the Water” during this tour.

After the Born Again tour, this line up broke up.  Why?  Quite simple.  Ian Gillan, along with the other four members of the MK II Deep Purple line up, were given seven figures to reunite.  In 1984 they released the classic PERFECT STRANGERS album.  Deep Purple, with some line up changes, still exist to this day and with the exception of a one album hiccup in the early nineties, Gillan has been the singer that whole time.  Gillan is touring and recording as I write this at age 77, I was finally able to see Ian with Deep Purple live in 2017 along with Alice Cooper and opener Edgar Winter.  It was a good time.

I also should mention Iommi and Gillan remain good friends to this day.  In 2011, they recorded a couple of songs together for a charity project called WHO CARES.  The other musicians were Jon Lord, Jason Newsted and Nicko McBrain.  That’s what I call a world class line up.

The BORN AGAIN tour ends in early 1984 and the next Sabbath album isn’t until 1986.  A lot happens in that time frame.  So much, in fact, you may see a separate post from me on a weekday not reviewing an album, but just to catch up on events before reviewing 1986’s SEVENTH STAR.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

One of my favorite YouTube channels these days is the channel Tastes Like Music, where three guys rank entire discographies of different artists, kind of like Sea of Tranquility. They were especially split on BORN AGAIN, and I assume that applies to Sabbath fans in general too. Should be an interesting one to talk about, looking forward to it.

Offline metaldams

One of my favorite YouTube channels these days is the channel Tastes Like Music, where three guys rank entire discographies of different artists, kind of like Sea of Tranquility. They were especially split on BORN AGAIN, and I assume that applies to Sabbath fans in general too. Should be an interesting one to talk about, looking forward to it.

Cool video, I watched the whole thing.  Thanks Sam.  Of course I don’t agree 100% with everything, but I’m much closer to these guys than some other rankings.  Interesting two of them compared the song “Never Say Die” to Thin Lizzy, which never occurred to me.  Then when I thought about it, I guess the way the chords are on the beat and shuffle are similar to “The Boys Are Back in Town.”  As for BORN AGAIN, probably in the lower half of top 10 for me, even if I don’t know exactly where.

For an example of the younger, more metal centric type rankings you’ll see on YouTube, check this one out.  I like Bryce, but can’t say I agree.  Keep this in mind when talking of the albums going forward, they do have their following.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I'll admit my familiarity with Deep Purple/Ian Gillan runs as deep as "Smoke on the Water" and "Highway Star", but it sounds like there's a lot of good music from his career to explore. This album was a very fine hard rock release, I'll definitely consider listening to more in the future.

"Trashed" opened the album with a roar, yes the vocals make it feel like we're listening to a different band, but Ian Gillan has that hard rock voice. I admit I don't think he's as good a vocalist as Dio, but he set a pretty high standard. Funny that you mention "Highway Star" and this song being about driving, because that's what the song brought to mind. "Disturbing the Priest": fantastic. It has a very good mixture of more hallowing verses that aids the atmosphere, along with excellent heavy rock in the chorus. Ian Gillan also shifts from more mellow vocals to screeching ones.

"Zero the Hero" is what you get when you have a guitar riff so catchy that you don't want to hear the song end, it was an over 6 minute song and I still could have listened to it go on a longer. Obligatory shout-out to Tony Iommi here. "Digital Bitch" is a fast-moving song, that sounds very 1980s to me, if that makes any sense. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but once they got Dio not only did the vocals change, but also their music in a way. They seem to be going for a more polished sounds instead of feeling experimental.

Maybe I'm starting to get more used to the track ordering, but I already had the feeling that a ballad would be the next song on the album. Sometimes ballads can be a highlight, but I didn't think too much of "Born Again". The final two tracks, "Hot Line" and "Keep Warm" were more in the hard rock style. I loved the chorus in "Keep Warm", it does sound different to what Black Sabbath usually did, and I don't think it would have worked without Ian Gillan.

Another very fine album, they haven't had a DUD yet, and this album actually works as a promotion for Ian Gillan himself.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Cool video, I watched the whole thing.  Thanks Sam.  Of course I don’t agree 100% with everything, but I’m much closer to these guys than some other rankings.  Interesting two of them compared the song “Never Say Die” to Thin Lizzy, which never occurred to me.  Then when I thought about it, I guess the way the chords are on the beat and shuffle are similar to “The Boys Are Back in Town.”  As for BORN AGAIN, probably in the lower half of top 10 for me, even if I don’t know exactly where.

For an example of the younger, more metal centric type rankings you’ll see on YouTube, check this one out.  I like Bryce, but can’t say I agree.  Keep this in mind when talking of the albums going forward, they do have their following.

Osbourne era near the bottom and Martin era near the top. Hmm...interesting. I guess we’ll see when we get there, though I’m certain this is not the general consensus. That being said, as of this writing, I do agree with him on HEAVEN AND HELL being number one.

Offline metaldams

The MTV era is upon us.  I probably should start posting these.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Going to take a couple of weeks off from Sabbath just to recharge my batteries.  Next week, Homok is starting Steely Dan and we will be going back and forth bi-weekly.  In the meantime, I’ll give you a preview of the next album without any context!  The girl in the video is Denise Crosby, who a few years later would be in STAR TREK - NEXT GENERATION.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Alright, Deep Purple. They’re a band I’ve heard of a lot and one I assumed I’d know at least one song from the radio, but I went and listened to a couple of their biggest hits and didn’t recognize them so...I guess not? They’re one of those bands I keep meaning to explore more of one of these days. As for Ian Gillan...did not make as immediate of an impression on me as Ronnie Dio did. Of the three lead singers we’ve heard so far, I’d say his voice is probably the least distinctive, although it still suits the songs on the album.

It starts with a scream with “Trashed”. Honestly, I thought the scream here sounded kind of silly and really was not the right way to start it, but the song does improve as it goes along. I especially like the way the distant backing vocals are in sync with him when singing things like “turning” and “burning”. I know there are complaints about the mix being muffled, but that’s a rare spot where I think it actually kind of works in its favor. So, yeah, good opening, despite the awkward scream. Next is the forgettable instrumental, “Stonehenge”. Nothing really special about it; yeah, they kind of try doing a heartbeat effect at the end, but it’s not like they’re the only band that’s tried that, it’s just kind of run-of-the mill.

“Disturbing the Priest” also starts with screams, but here it works as an atmospheric effect to support the whole horror theme brought on by the dark guitar riffs. It’s a very atmospheric song, with Ward’s heavy drumming supporting it, and while I still don’t think Gillan’s vocals are great, they do have a charming, fun quality to them, like he really seems like he’s going all in and enjoying it. “The Dark/Zero the Hero” is my favorite song here...and, man, this song is fantastic. This could very easily rival something off of HEAVEN AND HELL, that’s how much I like it. The riff is super catchy, the whole “Zero the Hero” phrase is a really catchy hook, something I just kept wanting to hear. The guitar solo is fantastic with a solid bass keeping the rhythm moving below it. I especially like how the keyboards come in near the end of the solo and seem to be attempting to steer back to the main melody before Gillan’s vocals officially bring it back. The fadeout has these cool, saucer-type effects that counteract Iommi’s guitar-playing, it almost feels kind of psychedelic in a way, but updated for ‘80s metal. Absolutely fantastic song, really glad I checked this one out.

Next is “Digital Bitch”, which was a song I didn’t really care for. It felt kind of all over the place and the mix didn’t help; everything just felt like they were overpowering Gillan’s vocals and it didn’t really feel like they had much of a clear direction with it other than “fast” and “loud”. “Born Again” is definitely better. I actually didn’t mind the mix on this one, and the underwater guitar effects kind of called to mind “Planet Caravan”. It’s a very dramatic song, and I think it’s quite effective, especially some of the percussion parts later in the song. Pretty much agreed on “Hot Line”; not a lot to say other than it’s a fun song with very solid musicianship between the group. “Keep It Warm” does also kind of slightly suffer from the muffled mix, but unlike “Digital Bitch”, they clearly had some sort of direction with it, and I appreciate the unique tone they were going for. I especially like during the solo when they briefly speed up before returning back to the normal speed. Pretty cool song, and this type of song fits as a closing track. I like it.

So, yeah, still pretty good overall even though there are a couple songs I don’t like, and outside of “Zero the Hero”, I don’t really think any of these stack up with the Dio era tracks, which is more of a compliment to just how amazing the Dio era was. Still, to their credit, Sabbath weren’t entirely just covering old ground again; they were experimenting with different styles, especially the closing track. It would have been interesting to see where they went from here had this lineup recorded again. Oh well, on to the next lineup.

Offline metaldams

Glad you guys dig this, “Zero the Hero” especially seems to be popular.  While I too would have been curious to see what this line-up could have done further, Ian Gillan going to Deep Purple in ‘84 was also the right thing, in my mind.

The next guy, Glenn Hughes - let’s just say a lot of story with him and the state of Sabbath in general we’ll get to in a couple of weeks, as I’m sure you can slightly tell by the video above.  Another amazing vocalist, even Dio was a fan.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

So there’s this few years period between 1983’s BORN AGAIN and 1986’s SEVENTH STAR.  There is a bit of history to wrap your head around.

OK, so it’s 1984, Ian Gillan leaves to join Deep Purple.  Bill Ward, now clean and sober, returns.  They recruit a new singer, the recently deceased Dave Donato.  This is what I like to call the photo session line up, because that’s all they did.  Donato did not last long for whatever reason, but you can find photos of this line up online taken for Kerrang magazine or something.  Donato would go on to form the obscure band White Tiger with almost as short lived KISS guitarist Mark St. John.

Next up, going into 1985, was talks of a reunion with Ozzy!  The reunion very briefly happened at Live Aid.  Yup, July 1985, the original line up played in Philadelphia - “Children of the Grave,” “Iron Man” and “Paranoid.”  Talks of a reunion tour briefly happened, but the timing wasn’t right.  Ozzy was way more popular as a solo artist at this point and the other guys needed Ozzy more than Ozzy needed them.  The talks were short lived.  After this, Black Sabbath broke up! 

So now that Sabbath has broken up, Tony Iommi decides to write music for a solo album.  Initially, he wanted a few singers for the album, rumors include Rob Halford and David Coverdale.  Who he actually got was Glenn Hughes, more on him in a bit.  The rest of the band was drummer Eric Singer, who was from the touring band of Tony’s then girlfriend, Lita Ford.  The bassist was Dave “The Beast” Spitz, brother of Anthrax lead guitarist Dan Spitz.  Keyboardist Geoff Nichols, who has played on every album since HEAVEN AND HELL, finally gets band member credit.  But the solo album was recorded and when it was time to be released, the record company, Warner Brothers, insisted it be a Black Sabbath album.  So 1986’s SEVENTH STAR has the uncomfortable moniker of “Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi.”

Let’s talk about bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes.  Got his start in the late 60’s in a band called Trapeze.  They released three pretty cool albums (MEDUSA being the best of the three, in my opinion), before Glenn Hughes joined….(drumroll)….Deep Purple in 1973!  Ironic he kind of sort of replaced Ian Gillan in that situation as he kind of sort of is here.  I say kind of sort if because actually David Coverdale was the strict lead vocalist while Hughes was the bassist who provided a lot of vocals, even the occasional lead.  Hughes did three strong albums with Deep Purple until the band broke up in 1976.  In 1977 he made a straight funk/soul solo album called PLAY ME OUT.  Didn’t show up again until 1981 when he did the melodic hard rock masterpiece with guitarist Pat Thrall called simply HUGHES/THRALL.  Can’t recommend that one enough.  Sang on a few tracks for Gary Moore as well but between the ten years leaving Purple and to this album, that’s it.  His lack of activity can be summed up in one word, drugs, namely cocaine, alcohol and also some overeating, he was overweight by 1986.  He even dated Linda Blair for a bit and the two shared the cocaine habit.  So many prime years sadly wiped out for this talented man, and he was still a mess by the time of SEVENTH STAR.  Hughes today says he doesn’t even remember the 80’s.  I’ll give you the second half of the story when we’re done with the track by track.

So yeah, considering this wasn’t even intended as a Black Sabbath album, most of these songs don’t sound like Sabbath, as I’m sure you can tell by the “No Stranger to Love” video.  A few power metal type tracks, AOR balladry, and some real tasty blues type stuff.  No doom metal at all, nothing dark.  I hated this album as a teenager but have grown to like it as I’ve gotten older.  It boils down to more open minded tastes, accepting the album for what it is versus what it isn’t and a growing appreciation for the voice of Glenn Hughes. Quick note: on most projects, Glenn plays bass and sings, here, he just sings. Onto the track by track.

“In For the Kill”  The album starts out metal enough, though more so in updated 80’s speed/power metal style than what Sabbath are known for.  Great track as Glenn Hughes establishes his strong vocal presence right away and we also get a very catchy chorus.  Awesome guitar solo by Iommi, great opener.

“No Stranger To Love” If there’s ever a song that proves that this was not meant to be a Sabbath album, this is it.  A straight forward eighties ballad that sounds like it can be written by Foreigner.  But hey, the older I’ve gotten, the more I appreciate this one.  Some tasteful melodic playing by Iommi and Glenn Hughes excels at this kind of stuff.

“Turn to Stone”. Another pretty cool modern for the mid eighties metal track.  Not much to say other than I love the opening riff and the double kick drum led rhythm section.  Another strong track.

“Spinx (The Guardian)/Seventh Star”  Really cool, atmospheric title track.  Very Middle Eastern sounding, it actually reminds me a bit of Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir.”  The whole song is great, but I especially love the moodiness of the middle instrumental part. 

“Danger Zone” Not to be confused with Loggins and Messina, this is another very eighties sounding hard rock/metal track.  The rhythm section has that real meat and potatoes eighth note feel common in some mid paced Judas Priest songs of the era.  Love the galloping riff in the middle and the bridge especially.

“Heart Like a Wheel” This is a favorite of some deeper Sabbath fans as it is a slow blues that is a great showcase for both Iommi’s guitar playing and Glenn’s powerful vocals.  From this point forward, the album is more moody than song craft to me, but this is the most successful of these types of songs.

“Angry Heart/In Memory…” Two separate songs that flow into one for me that close the album.  The first part is mid paced, close to dirge eighties rock and the latter is simply a moody piece with acoustic guitars and some soulful Glenn Hughes vocals.  Some good musical ideas afloat, but nothing seems fully developed here.  A weird way to end the album.

So probably my least favorite “Sabbath” album at this point and it’s still very good.  I like all of it better than the low points of NEVER SAY DIE, but nothing approaches the high points.  So what happens from here?

This line up goes out on tour and Glenn Hughes, far from ready to perform, only lasts four gigs.  In addition to his weight and addiction issues, he gets in a fight and gets punched in the nose.  Blood dripping from his nasal cavity makes it impossible for him to sing.  He gets replaced the rest of the tour by some 27 year old unknown from New York named Ray Gillen.  The first replacement singer without any previous fame.  Iommi/Gillen/Nichols/Spitz/Singer will enter the studio for the next studio album.  They won’t be together when it’s done, but that’s for next time.

As far as Glenn Hughes, one of rock’s great redemption stories.  In the nineties, the man completely cleaned up and for whatever lack of productivity he had from the late 70’s - early 90’s, he has more than made up for since then with multiple solo albums and projects.  I saw him live in 2018 at 67 years old singing songs from his era of Deep Purple and at an age where most rick singers are declining, Glenn’s voice was unbelievable.  The only concert I ever attended where everyone was looking at the person next to them with a WTF look of disbelief.  Such a great show.

This may be Glenn’s only “Black Sabbath” album, but he’ll record two more albums with Tony Iommi under the Iommi/Hughes banner.  In the mid 90’s they recorded some stuff which saw release in 2004 known as THE 1996 DEP SESSIONS.  There is also FUSED from 2005.  Both fine albums that you’ll have to check out on YouTube as they’re not on streaming services.  I will link you to the closing track on the latter album, a masterpiece I like better than anything in SEVENTH STAR.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Coming into this, I tried to stay in the mindset that this was meant to be an Iommi solo album, which I still find a bit odd considering he’s not the lead vocalist on it, but...hey, if he’s not comfortable with singing, then that’s his call. I like Glenn Hughes’s voice. Again, it didn’t impress me quite as much as Dio’s, but I do think it’s better than Gillan’s. As far as the album itself? Well, let’s dive in.

The first track is “In for the Kill”. The previous album’s first track had a silly opening I didn’t like, but the rest of the song was pretty good. This has the opposite problem; I actually really like the way it starts, but as it goes along, it does feel kind of manufactured. You can kind of tell that this is a group that’s not really that used to playing with each other and Iommi’s guitar work, though great, actually feels kind of out of place as a result. The next track, “No Stranger to Love” is a power ballad, a genre I like, and I think it’s played pretty well, although, yeah, it does sound like it could be played by just about any ‘80s band and have the same effect. Nothing about it really screams “Iommi” to me.

The next couple tracks are where things start to get really good. “Turn to Stone” is a really solid number. Hughes’s vocal harmonies are great, the drums sound cool, and I especially like how Iommi kind of does a car engine effect with his guitar near the end. “Sphinx (The Guardian)/Seventh Star” is my favorite track here. Very atmospheric; when I look at the cover art, this is the type of song I would associate with that. The synths sound like strings throughout and I really like the way they support the guitars near the end of the song. I agree, it also kind of called to mind “Kashmir” from Led Zeppelin. “Danger Zone” isn’t quite as atmospheric as the previous two tracks, but it’s still a good rock song, the type of song that would be fun to drive along to on your radio.

“Heart Like a Wheel” has some nice blues callbacks; I thought the bass work was especially good on it. But it’s also a bit drawn out, and that’s including the guitar solo, the first time since the debut where I really felt like the solo didn’t really work as well as they thought it would. As for “Angry Heart/In Memory”, I agree that the first part doesn’t really seem to develop into anything and is a bit bland, but I actually think “In Memory” is really good. It’s a rare use of acoustic guitar on this album, and as such it gives it its own identity to stand out from the rest of the album. I think it works as a closer as a result. Yeah, it probably could have been a little longer, but I still like it the way it is.

So, in the end, I agree, this is my least favorite Black Sabbath album so far too. There are points where it kind of feels like they are just trying to play what’s considered hip for the time, but there also are points like “Turn to Stone” and “In Memory” where it genuinely does feel like there’s a solid sense of musicianship between the lineup, and they succeed. I don’t necessarily hate any of the weaker tracks, I just find them a bit dull, and there are a couple of really good songs on here. So, yeah, I’d probably recommend it, but still with the preface that it’s not really a Sabbath album and definitely not the kind of thing to recommend to a first time Sabbath fan seeking it out for that specific purpose.

Offline metaldams

RE: Solo albums and non singers.  I never really gave it a second thought until now, but interesting perspective.  I think what it boils down to is in the heavy metal/hard rock world, guitar players aren’t looked upon as backing musicians as this is very guitar oriented music.  Guitarists Yngwie Malmsteen and Michael Schenker have had lengthy solo careers working with several different singers.  Michael never sings and Yngwie, after several decades, only very recently - and to much criticism!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

More Glenn Hughes worship.  Saw the Jon Lord tribute show from 2014 on blu ray today.  Glenn Hughes duets with Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson on this Deep Purple classic.  I like this version better than the original.  Totally blown away, Glenn’s voice is other worldly here and Bruce is awesome as usual.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Hmm, an album that was intended as a solo release but then gets turned into a band project, sounds like The System Has Failed by Megadeth. I can get why it was released as a Black Sabbath album, he after all was the sole member to be on all of the albums, and there was more brand value. Had no idea why they had "featuring Tony Iommi" though. Glenn Hughes is a nice fit for this sound of music. Imagine if Rob Halford did manage to do vocals on a Black Sabbath album, though?

"In for the Kill" continues Black Sabbath's streak of having killer openings. Awesome guitar solo, and it really got me pumped up. "No Stranger to Love" is kind of sappy, to be honest. Not saying it's bad, but the lyrics are kind of cheesy compared to what came earlier. "Turn to Stone" is another fast, hard rocking track. One that that gives me thoughts of cars speed racing each other on the streets. After all of that “Spinx (The Guardian)/Seventh Star” we get a less hard rocking track. I like the slower guitar work, it totally sounds like a song from an 1980s action movie where the hero has to make a difficult journey.

"Danger Zone" made me think of the song in Top Gun, if only because of the title. But this unrelated Black Sabbath track is the better song. It's basically the same riff throughout the song, but Iommi is one of those people that could make me want to hear it over and over again. "Heart like a Wheel" almost sounds like Ozzy era Sabbath with the bluesy guitar playing. Holy crap is Iommi good. Maybe they should have put his name on all of the album covers. Now the final track "Angry Heart/In Memory": I actually the second section of the song better. The chorus is catchy on the first part, but hearing that guitar style with the "haunting me" vocals was, well, haunting.

I'm not going to say this album is a masterpiece, but it was a good listen.

Offline metaldams

Rob Halford, very mildly, plays a part in the Sabbath story and I was almost a witness.  I’ll tell that story when we get there.

A preview for next weekend.  This is a voice you can get used to - five of the next six albums.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

1987’s ETERNAL IDOL is a fantastic album but is, by far, the most confusing era when it comes to personnel and just about everything else.  Three Producers, two studios, management confusion (Geezer Butler almost rejoined the band at this time but bowed out when Patrick Meehan, Jr. started managing the band again - he then played bass for Ozzy) and tons of line up changes during recording and going into the tour.

To start, bassist Dave “The Beast” Spitz, early in the recording, was replaced by Ozzy bassist Bob Daisley.  Not just Ozzy’s bassist, but Ozzy’s lyricist as well and he no doubt contributed in the lyrical department here.  One of my musical heroes, he not only played with Ozzy, but a zillion other projects, including Rainbow when Dio was in the band.  I don’t believe he was ever a permanent member of Sabbath and just helped for this album. 

Geoff Nichols remained on keyboards and Eric Singer remained on drums throughout the recording.  As far as vocals go, Ray Gillen, who replaced Glenn Hughes on the SEVENTH STAR tour, recorded the entire album.  Then, towards the end of the recording sessions, Gillen left the band!  His vocals got erased and replaced by Tony Martin, the singer on this album and four of the next five albums after - Dio being on the one Martin doesn’t sing on.  The Ray Gillen version of this album, in a rough mix, can be heard on YouTube (or the 2CD deluxe edition of the album) and is worth hearing, he does a fine job.

So who is Tony Martin?  We discussed him before when he co-starred with The Marx Brothers in THE BIG STORE.  Really amazing that a 73 year old crooner man would change genres this late in life and even convince Sabbath to cover “Tenement Symphony” in concert….and you thought Sabbath doing “Smoke on the Water” was strange.  So this elderly gentlemen……(being handed a note), wait, what’s this?  A different Tony Martin?  I’m shocked!  What are the odds?  I mean, such an uncommon name for two men to share.  Anyway….

Tony Martin was an unknown thirty year old singer from Birmingham, England who has been given the chance of a lifetime.  That’s it.  He had no previous fame, just like Ray Gillen.  Actually, Martin almost got the gig on the SEVENTH STAR tour but since the band needed a replacement while in America, they went with American Gillen so there’d be no work visa issues.  Martin is a great singer whose voice to me sounds like a combination of Dio and David Coverdale.  He could hit the highs and lows well and could sing all Sabbath eras in concert.  For the ETERNAL IDOL, since Martin came in at the last minute, he basically added his voice and sang Ray Gillan’s parts with the occasional flourish of his own.  Martin took about a week to record his vocals.  A nice example of the chaos that surrounded the Sabbath camp at the time.  More chaos for the touring cycle to come.  First, let us now do the track by track.

“The Shining” Classic opener.  So much cool stuff musically happening here.  Love the mellow opening lick Iommi plays.  I love the way the bass and drums build tension before the main riff kicks in, which is a classic one.  Nice mellow verses that build into a very memorable chorus and we eventually get an emotional fantastic middle section that gives the song more character.  Great Iommi soloing and Tony Martin does a fantastic job in his first Sabbath track.

“Ancient Warrior”  Just a really well made, professional kick ass metal song.  Another one of those slow Middle Eastern sounding riffs, a fantastic Tony Martin vocal, Daisley and Singer killing it in the groove, and some nice Nichols keyboards in the chorus.  Great Iommi guitar playing in the middle.

“Hard Life to Love”  A pretty busy main riff with a solid groove behind it is the highlight of the song in addition to Martin’s vocals.  I like the way the bridge takes the song briefly in another direction.

“Glory Ride”. An completely unheralded Black Sabbath classic.  That opening riff gets me every time and this song has a chorus for the ages.  Again, fantastic songwriting here, there’s some mood changes that really takes this song to fascinating places.  The galloping groove reminds me of Iron Maiden.

“Born to Lose” Another killer Iommi riff with a solid groove.  Just a nice simple, well played rocker, not much more to say than a good butt shaker.  Martin shines again.

“Nightmare” Creepy tubular bells kind of intro followed by a nice grooving Iommi riff.  Gets really metal and head banging towards the middle.  The laughing you hear in the middle of the song is Ray Gillen, the only contribution of his that was not erased.

“Scarlet Pimpernel”  A really cool and atmospheric double tracked acoustic piece from Iommi.  Takes me back to “Orchid” from MASTER OF REALITY.

“Lost Forever”  The speedy headbanger here, kind of in the “Neon Knights” vein.  Totally enjoyable and pumps up the blood.  Listen to how powerful that rhythm section sounds, Daisley and Singer are on fire here.

“Eternal Idol”  Another unheralded Sabbath classic.  Slow, atmospheric doom metal like only Iommi can deliver.  That opening riff followed by the backing keyboards and pounding drums is soooooo atmospheric.  Absolutely love this song, kind of like an updated version of the song “Black Sabbath.”  Tony Martin shines again here.

So yeah, in spite of the mass confusion with line ups, management and producers, a really professional and strong album was created.  My personal favorite of the Tony Martin era, though I am in the minority on that.  Most people site the next album, but we’ll get there next time.

OK, for some postscript.  The rhythm section situation was beyond confusing, but let’s just say the majority of the tour had Terry Chimes from The Clash on drums and Jo Burt on bass.  Watch “The Shining” video I posted above.  You see the bass player?  Literally some random kid picked off the street who couldn’t play.  They just needed a body for the video.  That’s how confused the personnel was during this period of Sabbath.

In spite THE ETERNAL IDOL being a strong album, it only charted at 166 in the U.S. due to the constant line up confusion.  Black Sabbath were dropped by Warner Brothers in the U.S., a company they have been with since the first album.  This will effect how we listen to the next four Tony Martin albums - YouTube.  Not available on streaming services, I’ll get into that more next time.  They did briefly redoing Warner Brothers/Reprise for DEHUMANIZER, so that one we will be able to stream.

A little postscript on a couple of people.  Ray Gillen and Eric Singer formed a pretty cool band called Badlands with former Ozzy guitarist Jake E. Lee.  They released two albums but were derailed by two things, changing musical tastes - grunge - and Ray’s health.  Ray Gillen sadly passed away in 1993, he has AIDS.  Plenty of stories online about it, don’t know what’s true and what is just rumor.

As far as Eric Singer, he is these days way more famous for playing in KISS.  He has been in the band about twenty five of the past thirty years and has played in four albums.  He’s currently wearing the cat man Peter Criss make up and has been for a while.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Bonus stuff, if you’re interested in supplements

&t=1921s[/youtube]

The Ray Gillen Version

Some non album b-sides.  Not mentioned for previous albums because until now - there haven’t been any.

Another recording of this one will be on the next album.

I think I’ve only heard this song once or twice myself.  Sabbath at their most hair metal.

Cool fan made documentary explaining the turmoil of this era.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

You got me with that Tony Martin statement, I actually thought it was the same person doing vocals that appeared with the Marx Brothers. I liked this album, it was a good 1980s metal release. Not going to argue it's one of the greatest albums of all time like some of the earlier Black Sabbath releases.

The album is mostly hard rocking, metal tracks. My favorite of these types of songs are "The Shining", "Hard Life to Love", "Nightmare" and "Born to Lose". All very good Iommi riffs and the types of songs you can play in your car and have an awesome ride. "Ancient Warrior" and "Lost Forever" are tracks that I could imagine being played during the Dio era, the lyrics in the former song feel like they could have been written by Ronnie.

"Scarlet Pimpernel" and "Eternal Idol" were my favorite tracks. Both atmospheric. I liked that "Scarlet Pimpernel" was instrumental, it brought a soothing feeling. "Eternal Idol" was a really cool way to end the album. Love the drumming on this track and how the heaviness goes on and off depending on whether it's the chorus or vocals. I also think this is Tony Martin's greatest vocal performance on the album. Really good track overall.

I haven't heard a Sabbath release yet that I didn't enjoy, they have a pretty good track record.

Offline metaldams

A preview for next weekend’s album with probably the signature song from the Tony Martin era - slightly edited for MTV.
- Doug Sarnecky