Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Vagabond (1916) - Charlie Chaplin

Offline metaldams

THE VAGABOND is the third of twelve Charlie Chaplin Mutual comedies.  Wait, did I just say comedy?  Long stretches of this short play out like a straight drama and because of that, THE VAGABOND is an extremely important film in the artistic development of Charlie Chaplin.  For all of you folks familiar with his features, you will know Chaplin would throw in comedy and drama seamlessly.  However, by the time THE VAGABOND was released, whatever drama Chaplin previously had was fleeting.  Yes, there are moments of drama in THE TRAMP, THE BANK and POLICE, but the key word there is moments.  THE VAGABOND also has moments - of comedy.  It is, in essence a dramatic film.  Perhaps Chaplin hasn’t quite found the right balance of the two yet, but I find the results fascinating all the same and really love this short.

The bulk of the comedy plays in the opening scene.  Brilliant opening shot of Chaplin, only seeing his feet below the swinging doors walking and the door eventually opens to reveal his whole body.  Just the feet alone and it’s obviously Chaplin, that’s how drawn his character was by this point.  Chaplin plays violin and passes a cup around to restaurant patrons for change.  There is a competing band trying to do the same and when they find Chaplin in on their territory, a comic brawl and chase is pursued.  I love Chaplin hitting the one guy, who falls onto a bunch of patrons causing a huge domino effect.  The chase is well timed and makes good use of corners and Chaplin avoiding his adversaries in various ways.  This first few minutes makes up about half or more of the comedy in this film.

From there, Chaplin is in a gypsy camp and he runs into Edna Purviance, a clearly abused girl by the intimidating Eric Campbell.  The abuse is shown, so whatever light comic bits there are in this part have bits of tension underneath.  Some fun stuff with Chaplin playing violin for Edna - when he falls butt first into the bucket of water, legs in the air, it recalls the much later LIMELIGHT.  He eventually gets Edna away from the gypsy camp in a well choreographed escape.  Yes, bits of comedy with well timed hits on the head and a great carriage chase - yet again, with hints of tension.  They get away.

It should be mentioned Edna was kidnapped as a child and has a shamrock birthmark on her arm.  She meets a painter who paints her with the birthmark showing.  They fall in love, leaving Chaplin as the third wheel.  This would become very common with Chaplin in his features, he rarely gets the girl.  The painting is seen at a party with the birthmark being shown.  The girls long lost biological mother sees the painting and knows she found her daughter.  The painter takes the mother to the camp site where Chaplin and Edna are.  They’re about to take Edna away without Charlie when Edna realizes she wants Charlie with them.  They drive back to Charlie, get him in the car, and drive off.  The end.

The idea of a mother, estranged from her child only to reunite would be found in THE KID.  Here, the birthmark on the painting was the signifier of the daughter.  In THE KID, it was the note Jackie Coogan had on him that Edna wrote years ago, making her realize she was reunited with her abandoned son.  The ending of both films leaves a lot of questions.  In THE VAGABOND, Chaplin is driving off with both Edna and the painter.  We have no clue how that will end up after Edna wanted Chaplin in the car.  She seems confused.  In THE KID, Chaplin is invited back into Jackie Coogan’s life, but now that Jackie is reunited with his biological mother, in what role?  That doesn’t get answered so in both films, we’re left with more questions than answers.  It’s an ending that invites thought and it’s obvious Chaplin had THE VAGABOND in mind when making THE KID.

Making such a dramatic film was artistically brave but it’s interesting that his next short, ONE A.M., is about as basic a comedy as can be.  I think Chaplin momentarily purged his dramatic desires and may have felt the need to get his comic side back.  The solo act he does is brilliant and I always say a great introduction to Chaplin would be watching THE VAGABOND and ONE A.M. back to back.  It shows, in extreme examples, the dramatic and comic sides of Chaplin.  Speaking of ONE A.M., I’ve already reviewed that one, so if you haven’t done so already, please watch and comment on it when you’re done with THE VAGABOND, linked below.  In two weeks, I’ll be doing THE COUNT.

https://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,6741.0.html
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Photographed mostly outdoors, "The Vagabond" veers toward straight drama in the D.W. Griffith tradition. Charlie plays a street musician who saves a girl (Edna Purviance) kidnapped and enslaved by sadistic gypsies.  His rescue of the girl features a skillful tracking shot of the gypsies’ unsuccessful pursuit, filmed from inside the moving caravan — a fine example of Chaplin’s inventiveness with the camera.

Having established camp along a country road, Charlie takes care of the girl in a paternal, unromantic fashion.  Eventually, the girl falls in love with a traveling artist who paints her portrait, which later is discovered by the girl’s wealthy mother at an exhibit.  The artist then helps the mother locate her daughter.  Charlie, realizing that the girl and artist are meant for each other, stays behind as the others drive off.  Instead of the traditional Chaplin ending, the girl orders the driver to turn back and she drags Charlie into the car.

Despite its ambiguous ending, the film’s stark cultural contrasts emerge as social themes that Chaplin will explore in later Mutual comedies and in features such as "The Kid" and "City Lights." Though he has not found the ideal balance of humor and drama, "The Vagabond" remains one of Chaplin’s most unusual works.

Offline NoahYoung

This is definitely in my top 3 Chaplin favorites.

Chaplin is fascinating to watch, whether or not he is doing a comedy scene. I think this is a great short to show someone who hasn't seen, or claims to dislike, silent films. I can't imagine anyone seeing it and not wanting to see another Chaplin film.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline metaldams

This is definitely in my top 3 Chaplin favorites.

Chaplin is fascinating to watch, whether or not he is doing a comedy scene. I think this is a great short to show someone who hasn't seen, or claims to dislike, silent films. I can't imagine anyone seeing it and not wanting to see another Chaplin film.

Welcome to the board!  Agree with your assessment about this short being a good silent film intro for the skeptical.  It’s a good length and the story and characters are gripping enough.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Photographed mostly outdoors, "The Vagabond" veers toward straight drama in the D.W. Griffith tradition. Charlie plays a street musician who saves a girl (Edna Purviance) kidnapped and enslaved by sadistic gypsies.  His rescue of the girl features a skillful tracking shot of the gypsies’ unsuccessful pursuit, filmed from inside the moving caravan — a fine example of Chaplin’s inventiveness with the camera.

Having established camp along a country road, Charlie takes care of the girl in a paternal, unromantic fashion.  Eventually, the girl falls in love with a traveling artist who paints her portrait, which later is discovered by the girl’s wealthy mother at an exhibit.  The artist then helps the mother locate her daughter.  Charlie, realizing that the girl and artist are meant for each other, stays behind as the others drive off.  Instead of the traditional Chaplin ending, the girl orders the driver to turn back and she drags Charlie into the car.

Despite its ambiguous ending, the film’s stark cultural contrasts emerge as social themes that Chaplin will explore in later Mutual comedies and in features such as "The Kid" and "City Lights." Though he has not found the ideal balance of humor and drama, "The Vagabond" remains one of Chaplin’s most unusual works.

I too, at times, thought this was like a Griffith Biograph.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Glad to know I’m not the only one who felt both THE VAGABOND and THE KID had similarities, especially with the surprisingly ambiguous endings. They’re certainly endings that work and when thinking about the flow of the stories in the films themselves, do seem like happy endings, but they do leave us with more questions when we think about them more deeply (I think you could make somewhat of an argument for THE KID’s ending being a bit more conclusive, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there).

THE VAGABOND does play more like a drama than a comedy, but, as we know, Chaplin was good with drama. When reviewing THE CIRCUS, I mentioned how much I liked Chaplin’s introduction to Merna Kennedy and how it’s pretty much a random encounter he doesn’t initially think much of. This is the same; he only comes to the gypsy camp at first to perform for money and doesn’t even really seem to notice Edna at first until she reacts to his performance. It might seem like a small detail, but I like that kind of thing; slowly building relationships with characters so they appear more natural.

As far as comedy, yeah, it’s lighter, though it certainly doesn’t start off that way. That whole opening scene is really good, especially the chase between the multiple doors. The initial meeting with Edna also allows for Charlie to have some fun moments with his violin and constantly falling in the bucket. And while that chase is certainly rooted in tension, it still works and allows for Chaplin to have a clever moment when hiding in the tree. The rest of it is mostly straight drama from there but, again, I think it works well. I agree this is definitely an important film in the Chaplin filmography, given its heavy emphasis on the drama and character building.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

The first section was my favorite, particularly when Chaplin is playing music then the band plays over him. That seems like a talkie gag and indeed would have worked better in a later film, but the arrangement did a fine job filling me in.

My favorite part after that was when Edna started doing her chores when Chaplin played the violin. It was the funniest part at the camp section. I also like the outdoor setting at the side of the road. The whole list daughter part does seem to come out of nowhere, and was a way to lighten up the mood.

I haven’t seen any Griffith Biograph films aside from a gangster one, but since they are short films maybe I should start watching more.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
CASH AND CARRY, STEAMBOAT BILL JR., AGORA LOVE... all different films that rely heavily on pathos, and all are amazing films in their own right.  So, too, THE VAGABOND is an incredible and gripping two reeler that really shows the full range of Chaplin's abilities even if it leaves us with questions at the end.  Charlie maybe just wanted us to think a little more after watching this one.

#1 fire kibitzer

Offline NoahYoung

Welcome to the board!  Agree with your assessment about this short being a good silent film intro for the skeptical.  It’s a good length and the story and characters are gripping enough.

Thank you! I have come across this site over the years but I don't know why I hadn't joined before now. It talks about all my favorite comedians.

Regarding this film, the fact the it makes you think when it is over is definitely one of it's strong points. Same as "City Lights". It seems like what you are not shown on screen (i.e. what happens next) is just as important as what is shown on screen.

He could have ended it like Keaton's "The Blacksmith", lol, but that film was of course made later. I love Keaton, btw.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz