Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Captain Kidd’s Kids (1919) - Harold Lloyd

<< < (2/2)

Umbrella Sam:

--- Quote from: Paul Pain on January 05, 2022, 07:54:26 AM ---Another fun film.  This one really has the full spectrum of silent comedy covered as far as stunts are concerned.  One thing I like about Harold Lloyd is that his characters are always extremely resourceful, much like Keaton, but Lloyd's are typically simpler solutions.

I'm going to enjoy this run.  [pie]

--- End quote ---

This may be a controversial opinion, but I find Lloyd to be the most versatile as far as playing different characters goes. In most of his features, he takes on some sort of different personality type you don’t see in the others (timid in GIRL SHY, geeky but ambitious in THE FRESHMAN, a male Cinderella in THE KID BROTHER, etc.) and despite these changes, he’s always convincing in each role he plays.

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Umbrella Sam on January 05, 2022, 08:58:54 PM ---This may be a controversial opinion, but I find Lloyd to be the most versatile as far as playing different characters goes. In most of his features, he takes on some sort of different personality type you don’t see in the others (timid in GIRL SHY, geeky but ambitious in THE FRESHMAN, a male Cinderella in THE KID BROTHER, etc.) and despite these changes, he’s always convincing in each role he plays.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  Lloyd was a bit more normal and had a less defined character than say Chaplin or Langdon.  Those two had otherworldly characters while Lloyd didn’t - but that means Lloyd could do more versatile stuff because he wasn’t one of those characters.  Keaton was caught in between the otherworldly and normal, but leaning more towards the former.  All great actors.

Allen Champion:
Because Lloyd's character appears more "normal,"  his selfish and destructive actions are all the more disturbing.  Chaplin and Keaton would only hurt someone in self defense, (ignoring Chaplin's early Keystones), but in film after film Lloyd deliberately and willfully harms others to achieve his personal or strictly materialistic goals.   The sociopathic dark side of the roaring 20s, Lloyd is the least appealing of the silent comedy big shots.  Your mileage, of course, may vary.   

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Allen Champion on January 05, 2022, 10:32:10 PM ---Because Lloyd's character appears more "normal,"  his selfish and destructive actions are all the more disturbing.  Chaplin and Keaton would only hurt someone in self defense, (ignoring Chaplin's early Keystones), but in film after film Lloyd deliberately and willfully harms others to achieve his personal or strictly materialistic goals.   The sociopathic dark side of the roaring 20s, Lloyd is the least appealing of the silent comedy big shots.  Your mileage, of course, may vary.

--- End quote ---

I guess when I say normal, I mean in appearance.  He’s not sociopathic in every film, yet he has his moments.  Commits theft and destruction to stop that wedding in GIRL SHY and does a ton of fake it until you make it lying in SAFETY LAST.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version