The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Kids Will Be Kids (1954) - The Mischief Makers

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189635/

STOOGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
This short may cause serious psychological and physical distress, including the following symptoms: tumors, diarrhea, glaucoma, traumatic brain injury, heart failure, madness, suicidal mania, and death.  Take great care when watching this short.

This short was Jules White's answer to the Our Gang comedies, which were being successfully re-released as The Little Rascals.  Jules two things right: he borrows the Bumsteads dog and has Jules White play the role as the only adult with a significant speaking role.  The cast sucks; the plot sucks; the jokes suck; everything sucks.  It's just 15 minutes of demon children being, well, demon children.

This short can... BURN IN HELLTM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

Just look at the IMDB rating, probably the lowest for any short we've watched. I was kind of looking forward to this, I was expecting it to be so bad that it would be entertaining. I had fun watching the Buster Keaton MGM films and the Joe Besser Stooges shorts.

But this was something else. It felt like it went on for a million years. I could not believe just how awful it is. I know many people on this forum aren't Our Gang fans, but believe me even the MGM Our Gangs have nothing on how terrible this is.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Almost certainly the case.  This might be the worst thing I have ever watched, period.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Makes me gain a greater appreciation for Our Gang and the Hal Roach lot in general.  I like some Our Gang shorts better than others, but in all of the shorts, the kids feel like fleshed out, natural and charming characters.  Whatever the formula Robert McGowan, Gus Meins, or whomever was working with the Gang at the time came up with, it worked.  It also felt like it’s own district series, a different feel than Laurel and Hardy, which had a different feel to Charley Chase….etc.

The Mischief Makers?  Felt like these kids were being directed by Jules White and judging by the close ups of water in the face and a Moe like kid leader, a typical Columbia short with a shorter cast.
- Doug Sarnecky