Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Super Wolf (1949) - Hugh Herbert

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145504/

Our Hugh Herbert journey has come to an end with SUPER WOLF.  This pleasant and amusing short uses a common theme in films but seldom used in the Columbia shorts: regular person mistaken for a gangster.

This short relies a lot on camera tricks and the occasional stunt double in its non-stop slam-bang procession from start to finish.  SUPER WOLF really brings it home in terms of classic Columbia comedy with a lot of falls, a chase scene, angry bosses, and obvious body doubles (I say body double because Hugh doesn't get much in the way of stunts).

The plot on this one is also a typical Columbia flavor, and it's decent even if not perfect.  Everything progresses toward the cliffhanger ending that is one of the most bizarre that I have ever seen, but it's reminiscent of THE GRAND HOOTER's ending.

Hugh's good for laughs; Christine McIntyre's always a dish with a ton of talent to share; Dudley is good in his limited role as the guy who's Hugh's real brain in the office; the rest of the cast is solid as well.

9/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

That was excellent, one of my favorite non-Stooge shorts. The opening was kind of shocking, I wasn't expecting a montage like that. It would have fit right in a pulp crime film.

I liked the interaction with Hugh and the man at the desk. I don't know who the actor was, but him and Hugh was probably the highlight of the short. The light falling down and being mistaken for a gun shot was funny. I remember a similar gag being used in The Honeymooners where Ralph Kramden thinks he hears gun shots. Of course there is also the gratuitous violent gag that is thrown in for fun that I always laugh at, here it was Hugh Herbert getting his hand stuck. The ending between the two look alikes again reminded me how he influenced Daffy Duck. Very fun short.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
That was excellent, one of my favorite non-Stooge shorts. The opening was kind of shocking, I wasn't expecting a montage like that. It would have fit right in a pulp crime film.

I liked the interaction with Hugh and the man at the desk. I don't know who the actor was, but him and Hugh was probably the highlight of the short. The light falling down and being mistaken for a gun shot was funny. I remember a similar gag being used in The Honeymooners where Ralph Kramden thinks he hears gun shots. Of course there is also the gratuitous violent gag that is thrown in for fun that I always laugh at, here it was Hugh Herbert getting his hand stuck. The ending between the two look alikes again reminded me how he influenced Daffy Duck. Very fun short.

I am uncertain to whom you're referring.  The man at the hotel counter was Jack Rice, and the newspaper editor was Emmett Vogan.  Rice appeared in several RKO shorts at this time.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Interesting observation is that this is directed by Del Lord as are a few of the other Hugh Herbert shorts we discussed.  After Del briefly stopped directing shorts after BOOOBY DUPES, he returned to Columbia in 1947.  SHIVERING SHERLOCKS being the exception, Del Lord exclusively worked with Hugh Herbert.  This may speak to the generally high quality of the shorts.

Another fine short here.  Hugh’s delivery really carries this short.  Really makes a stock routine like getting his hand stuck in various ways that much more entertaining, as is having a good reactionary comic like Dudley Dickerson along with him.  Hugh also does a fine job playing a double role and Christine is wonderful as usual.  She reprises a bit of her Cousin Basil routine with the kisses and takes a nice fall in the bed, again showing her penchant for slapstick.

Sony, release these Hugh Herbert shorts already.
- Doug Sarnecky