Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Little Rascals ClassicFlix Blu-ray discs

Offline Marshall

Hello all,

About a year ago, there was posting in the Our Gang/Little Rascals thread about ClassicFlix and their Kickstarter campaign to pay for new Rascals Blu-ray discs. The Kickstarter campaign unfortunately didn't reach the goal, but, The Little Rascals Blu-ray discs are being released individually. Two are out now, and the quality is tremendous. Hal Roach's original 35mm film elements were used for the scanning and restorations. These are the best The Little Rascals films have ever looked.

The discs are being released in chronological order. These are the sound Rascals films. Volume One features the films from 1929 and 1930 and Volume Two includes 1930 and 1931. Volume Two has the classic series of shorts with June Marlowe as The Rascals' teacher, Miss Crabtree.  Volume Three will be available in October, containing the first Little Rascals appearances of Spanky McFarland.

Have any of the Kingdom of Moronika members, who are also fans of The Little Rascals, purchased  any of these Blu-rays? What are your thoughts?

A few months ago, I wrote a web review on The Little Rascals-The ClassicFlix Restorations Volume 1. Here's the link: https://reelrundown.com/movies/The-Little-Rascals-The-ClassicFlix-Restorations-Vol-1-Blu-ray-Review

If the link is not allowed, feel free to delete the post. I don't want to break the rules of the site.

Thanks,
Marshall

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I have the first two volumes and the restorations are excellent. In fact, "Railroadin' " (1929) never looked or sounded better. I can't wait for Volume Three.

Offline Marshall

I have the first two volumes and the restorations are excellent. In fact, "Railroadin' " (1929) never looked or sounded better. I can't wait for Volume Three.

I'm looking forward to Volume Three also, Dr. Mabuse. It's funny, I didn't watch the "Railroadin'" film in the Rascals RHI/Genius box set when I purchased  it 13 years ago. So, when I saw it in the Volume 1 Blu-ray, it was new to me. I liked it.

Marshall 

Offline metaldams

I have the old school 8 DVD set that came out in 2008.  Some Blackhawk title cards and I know the set is not perfect.  I also imagine these blu rays are a huge improvement.  It’s good they’re out there.

That said, I’m not a hardcore Our Gang fan.  Right now, I’m watching all the talkie Hal Roach shorts I have in order (Our Gang, Chase, L&H, Pitts/Kelly Todd, Langdon).  Yes, pretty epic and it will take me a while.  For most of these Our Gang shorts, it’s my first viewing since 2008.  I reviewed CHOO CHOO on this site and really like that one.  BOXING GLOVES is hysterical.  So I’m revisiting these shorts now, it’s a series where I need to find the stand out shorts more than other series because these really vary in quality for me.  I’m in late 1930 now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Marshall

I have the old school 8 DVD set that came out in 2008.  Some Blackhawk title cards and I know the set is not perfect.  I also imagine these blu rays are a huge improvement.  It’s good they’re out there.

That said, I’m not a hardcore Our Gang fan.  Right now, I’m watching all the talkie Hal Roach shorts I have in order (Our Gang, Chase, L&H, Pitts/Kelly Todd, Langdon).  Yes, pretty epic and it will take me a while.  For most of these Our Gang shorts, it’s my first viewing since 2008.  I reviewed CHOO CHOO on this site and really like that one.  BOXING GLOVES is hysterical.  So I’m revisiting these shorts now, it’s a series where I need to find the stand out shorts more than other series because these really vary in quality for me.  I’m in late 1930 now.
metaldams,
What a cool viewing project to watch all the Hal Roach shorts in order! That sounds like a lot of fun. I like Choo Choo too, which will be in next  month's Blu-ray release. It's funny when they used a wood block type sound when very young Spanky keeps "bopping" Mr. Henderson in the nose.
Marshall

Offline HomokHarcos

Honestly, the silent shorts are my favorites. Especially when Joe and Farina were the top stars.

Offline Marshall

Honestly, the silent shorts are my favorites. Especially when Joe and Farina were the top stars.

David Kawas from ClassicFlix said  in the Blu-ray.com website that they have licensed all the silent Rascals films under copyright. He said they have material access to those , as well as some of the Public Domain silent shorts. So, it 's possible they could be restored after the sound films are released. Just a guess.

Offline falsealarms

I haven't gotten any of the LITTLE RASCALS Blu-Rays yet (like them, don't love them) but the restoration work is really noticeable:

&t=1s

Offline Marshall

I haven't gotten any of the LITTLE RASCALS Blu-Rays yet (like them, don't love them) but the restoration work is really noticeable:

&t=1s

Is I mentioned, I think this is the best the Rascals films have ever looked. I know we have the Stooges complete shorts DVD box set, but I'd like to see them out on Blu-ray, too. That's even with streaming being so popular these days.