Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A Bundle of Bliss (1940) - Andy Clyde

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166517/

The next three shorts that are available are already reviewed as part of the Shemp Howard reviews.  This brings us to A BUNDLE OF BLISS, which jumps us to the end of 1940.  This short addresses two real facts about Andy: (1) he really was from Scotland (born in 1892), came to America in 1912, and became a US citizen in 1943; (2) Andy Clyde loved children and was devastated when his only son died from meningitis, per Jules White.

The IMDB reviews pan this short, and I can see why.  This short was later reworked (in my opinion) for the Three Stooges as SOCK-A-BYE BABY and THREE LOAN WOLVES; it was a reworking of the 1935 Andy Clyde short I'M A FATHER; and these were all re-gelled for Hugh Herbert as OH, BABY!  It's a confusing set of shorts, but this one ranks higher than some of the others.  Much as how in the Three Stooges versions it's obvious how much the boy genuinely are enjoying the short, it's obvious here and makes this one seem better than it is.

The short goes like this: Andy gets into repeated false accusations as a result of mistakenly thinking his wife went away for several months because she was pregnant... but instead she brought home bagpipes and a kilt.  From there, it's Andy running into a baby and having repeated issues as a result of the baby, and all of them lead to people jumping to rude conclusions and Andy having to clear them up.  But, there are some funny moments along the way.

Andy is having too much fun in this one and as a result delivers one of his best performances period.  This includes the Shemp shorts and LASSIE.  Fred Kelsey is also great as the curmudgeonly officer who hassles Andy constantly.  The rest of the cast is solid, but it is flawed because of the previously mentioned false accusations that Andy constantly battles.  If I go into details, it'll spoil the short, but I did audibly laugh several times. 

Just watch it.  You won't regret it but won't be in love with it either.

7.5/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I'm really liking Andy Clyde as a performer and character, and I am glad to see him in a short that's not a marriage mix-up. This short was pretty entertaining, but the one mom is not very bright here. Why would she leave her baby on the sidewalk? Not only that, after the baby almost got lost there, she again just decided to dump her on a neighbor's front porch. The cop here is actually pretty reasonable here. The Andy Clyde comedies are mostly domestic comedies instead of slapstick ones, so I was surprised to see Jules White directed this.

Offline metaldams

It’s 1940.  It’s a Columbia short.  Hard to go wrong.

Yes, I can see the SOCK-A-BYE-BABY comparisons in the Andy lip syncing the crying scene and the pure neglect of the parents.  The short itself really moves and has a lot of cool indoor and outdoor scenes along with extras - as if this had a budget.  1940 Columbia.  But what really carries this short, like you guys eluded to, is Andy Clyde himself.  I always thought he is a good comedian who works well in a good ensemble, but this is the first time I can ever recall him truly carrying a short.  I love when he’s acting like a monkey and the energy he displays when he thinks he’s going to be a father is great.  He really seems to enjoy being with all these kids and is a joy to watch in this short.  Yes, great Fred Kelsey role as well.

Definitely a good one.
- Doug Sarnecky