Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Am I Having Fun! (1936) - Andy Clyde

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162849/

Interestingly, nowhere can I find who played Mrs. Clyde in this short.

Oh, joy, another unfunny domestic comedy.  This plot is quite tired and old, but in these Andy Clyde shorts there isn't even anything to laugh at.  I was really looking forward to these, but now I am starting to dread it each and every week.  Once again, there is no satisfying conclusion to the short either.  There are also many moments that are just plain stupid, but it's a rare Columbia short where a woman receives a bunch of the slapstick.

There is once person who is funny in this short: Bud Jamison.  Bud always is worth the price of admission, and he delivers again as the heavy who goes around beating the sh... crap... out of people.  Pay close attention to what he's saying as he dishes out his punishments.

4/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Been a while since I've seen this one, but I remember thinking it was just okay -- although, like Paul, I definitely didn't care for the ending. Still, it was nice to see a lot of the circa 1936 Columbia shorts stock company in this one.

Mrs. Clyde in this short is played by Leora Thatcher, who played the role in several other 1936-37 Clyde shorts (MISTER SMARTY, MY LITTLE FELLER, GRACIE AT THE BAT). Another name not on IMDb, but which I found in a 1937 casting directory: the Rajah (Harry Semels)'s assistant is played by Ernesto Molinari (a.k.a. Ernesto Morelli/Moreali), who had a lengthy career in movies and TV as a bit player and extra that lasted through the mid-1980s. His most famous role is probably as the vineyard boss in the I LOVE LUCY episode "Lucy's Italian Movie" (a.k.a. the grape-stomping episode).
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline HomokHarcos

Jules White's favorite story was clearly marriage misunderstandings, because this is another one right here. Andy Clyde is told by a drunk they can make big money pretending to be a maharajah, and for some reason falls for it. Woman kiss him, and of course his wife happens to be there. I found this to not be as enjoyable as the last one.

Offline metaldams

This one was just OK, not quite as strong of an impression as the previous one.  Again though, I did enjoy Arthur Houseman and Andy Clyde together, they could have made an actual comedy team.  Overall another marriage misunderstanding, which was mentioned and a pretty big indoor chase at the end.  One of those comfort food things I’ve seen a million times before.

My favorite part would be Clyde as a maharaja, kissing pretty girls and saying, “Praise be to Allah.”  Funny for the simple fact it’s so surreal.  Unlike the chase at the end, that’s something you don’t see everyday.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
My favorite part would be Clyde as a maharaja, kissing pretty girls and saying, “Praise be to Allah.”  Funny for the simple fact it’s so surreal.  Unlike the chase at the end, that’s something you don’t see everyday.

When that's the highlight of the short (it was for me too), the short is sore lacking.
#1 fire kibitzer