Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Beatles Album Discussion Thread

metaldams · 104 · 12528

Offline metaldams

HELP! is the fifth UK Beatles album and also the title of their second movie.  Like A HARD DAY’S NIGHT, side one contains seven tracks that appeared in the movie, the opening track being the John penned title track and the seventh track being the other single written and sung by Paul.  Like A HARD DAY’S NIGHT, all the soundtrack tracks are classics but unlike A HARD DAY’S NIGHT, a few weaker songs amongst some gems on the non soundtrack side.

The two singles, HELP! and TICKET TO RIDE are classics just like literally every Beatle singles. The former was one of John’s favorite songs and he considered it one of his most personal - a cry for help amongst the insanity of Beatlemania.  I have a weird relationship with the song.  I learned the song on bass before I ever heard it when I was about 14 or 15.  It was transcribed in a guitar magazine, I learned the line, then had my Mom get out the record and I played along to it.  So my first time hearing the song I was playing along to it on bass.  I’ve since learned plenty more McCartney lines.  Speaking of McCartney, he once claimed “Ticket to Ride” as the first heavy metal song because of the drum beat.  I don’t agree with that and I wonder if Vanilla Fudge covering the song influenced this thinking, but a great song nonetheless.

Other highlights on the album - “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away” is a classic.  John channeling Dylan, a very beautiful song that shows growing songwriting maturity.  There’s a flute at the end of this song.  I think that, along with the strings on “Yesterday,” are the first times The Beatles used outside musicians not named George Martin.  We’ll be seeing more of that in the future.  Speaking of “Yesterday,” what more can I add that hasn’t already been said?  An obvious classic, all the accolades well deserved.  I also dig “I’ve Just Seen a Face” a nice and fast folk song that has an awesome guitar intro.  I love the fact Paul resurrected the song live with Wings.

Like I mentioned, I really like all the soundtrack songs.  A few lesser, if tolerable songs on the non soundtrack side.  Believe it or not, “Act Naturally” ain’t one of them, I do like that song.  It fits Ringo well.  “You Like Me Too Much” and “Tell Me What You See” just kind of drag and I think The Beatles have done more inspired rock n roll than “Dizzy Miss Lizzy.”  Maybe it’s that guitar lick playing over and over again.

As far as non album tracks of the era - “ Bad Boy” is yet another Larry Williams cover, much stronger than “Dizzy Miss Lizzy.” Only initially appeared on the U.S. album BEATLES VI, didn’t appear in the U.K. until 1966 when thrown on a compilation.  “Yes It Is” is a pretty ballad reminiscent of “This Boy,” three part harmonies and 6/8 time.  “I’m Down” is a cool Paul rocker reminiscent of “Long Tall Sally.”  Later covered by Aerosmith on PERMANENT VACATION.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Not quite on the level with "A Hard Day's Night," but mostly classic Beatles. "Ticket to Ride," "You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away," "You're Gonna Lose That Girl," "Yesterday" and the introspective title track stand out (with John's vocal more forceful in the mono mix). I also have a fondness for George's underrated "I Need You" and Paul's "The Night Before" — songs I never heard until I saw the film in 1976.

When I first encountered the title track, it was on the "1962-1966" compilation and included composer Ken Thorne's pseudo-James Bond intro from the American LP, which I always thought was cool. Thorne's instrumental opening was deleted from the "1962-1966" CD releases to correspond with the British version produced by George Martin (at Lennon's behest). However, it hasn't stopped SiriusXM's "60s on 6" channel from playing the pseudo-Bond intro.

Offline metaldams

Not quite on the level with "A Hard Day's Night," but mostly classic Beatles. "Ticket to Ride," "You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away," "You're Gonna Lose That Girl," "Yesterday" and the introspective title track stand out (with John's vocal more forceful in the mono mix). I also have a fondness for George's underrated "I Need You" and Paul's "The Night Before" — songs I never heard until I saw the film in 1976.

When I first encountered the title track, it was on the "1962-1966" compilation and included composer Ken Thorne's pseudo-James Bond intro from the American LP, which I always thought was cool. Thorne's instrumental opening was deleted from the "1962-1966" CD releases to correspond with the British version produced by George Martin (at Lennon's behest). However, it hasn't stopped SiriusXM's "60s on 6" channel from playing the pseudo-Bond intro.

When I played along to my Mom’s vinyl copy, the U.S. version is what she had - she bought it in 1965.  That intro was there for sure.  I had no idea that intro also showed up in original pressings of the Red Album.  Pretty interesting.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

When I played along to my Mom’s vinyl copy, the U.S. version is what she had - she bought it in 1965.  That intro was there for sure.  I had no idea that intro also showed up in original pressings of the Red Album.  Pretty interesting.

The Ken Thorne intro was in the original U.S. pressings of the Red Album — not its British counterpart.  However, both versions used the 1965 British stereo mix of the title song. Here is a link to the UK and U.S. Red Album mixes: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962%E2%80%931966

Offline HomokHarcos

I certainly enjoyed this one more than Beatles for Sale, even if it’s mainly the soundtrack songs. “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away” is probably my favorite on the album. “Yesterday” and “The Night Before” are great Beatlesmania period tracks. The second side isn’t as strong, but I really enjoyed “Dizzy Miss Lizzy”. Yes I know it might be out of place here but I’ll always like hearing that old time rock and roll.

Offline HomokHarcos

“Bad Boy” and “I’m Down” are both great songs I like. Paul McCartney vocals in “I’m Down” remind me of Robert Plant.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I’m going to save my thoughts on the HELP! movie for another day, but to give you my basic thoughts: I don’t like it. The soundtrack is infinitely better than the movie it was associated with, but even then still pales in comparison to the soundtrack to A HARD DAY’S NIGHT.

Starting with the songs that made the film, obviously there are the two well-known hits in the title track and “Ticket to Ride”. “Ticket to Ride” in particular feels really unique; while I disagree with the “first heavy metal song” comment, it does have a really unique feel to the guitar and even John’s slightly lower and kind of mumbling vocals that really give it its own identity. “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away” is also great; I love the classical feel to it. I also really like “You’re Going to Lose That Girl”. Yeah, it’s more standard early Beatles stuff lyrically, but those harmonies are so infectious and the combination of that, the guitar and the bongos just works so well. Unlike A HARD DAY’S NIGHT, there’s one song that made the film that I don’t care for: “Another Girl”. It feels really formulaic to me, with nothing special in the production.

Like “Honey Don’t”, I used to not care much for “Act Naturally”, but unlike “Honey Don’t”, “Act Naturally” has kind of grown on me. Honestly, it is a very fitting song for Ringo given that he was the most natural actor of the Beatles and the lyrics do seem to match that personality they’d kind of established for him. Two Harrison originals are here: one that made the film (the very nice “I Need You”) and one that didn’t (“You Like Me Too Much”). I have to disagree with metaldams on the latter; I quite like the ragtime piano that appears throughout and find the chorus quite memorable. I also have to disagree on “Tell Me What You See”, another song that I find really catchy; I just love how the electric piano sounds every time they pause for it. There are two songs on this side I could have done without. “I’ve Just Seen a Face” starts off well with that cool acoustic intro, but then immediately turns into a fast country song that quickly overstays its welcome. “Dizzy Miss Lizzy”...it’s bad, that’s all that needs to be said. Why was it included at all? There aren’t any other covers on the album and “Yesterday” seemed so much like the obvious closer that it’s mind boggling that they didn’t make it that. Obviously, “Yesterday” is great; Paul’s vocal is spot on, the orchestra is balanced just right. It’s such a wonderful song, no question about it.

Ok, so the three non-album tracks: for as much as I dislike “Dizzy Miss Lizzy”, I do have to admit their cover of “Bad Boy” is pretty good, definitely a lot more catchy. “Yes It Is” is fine, although it doesn’t have nearly the same impact as “If I Fell”. “I’m Down” sounds very much like “Long Tall Sally”, which in itself is not among my favorites. “I’m Down” is definitely not album material.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

As far as the movie HELP! goes, it’s not as natural a fit as A HARD DAY’S NIGHT, but I enjoy it for the silly little comedy with good music that it is.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen it.  I can use another viewing.

RUBBER SOUL coming in a few days.  I will catch up to that and responding to other posts.  My massive 30th anniversary deluxe Black Album set arrived today, my mind is in Metallica land now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

RUBBER SOUL is a pretty special album to me as it’s the first Beatles album I ever heard.  I was a Cliff Burton worshipping Metallica fan just starting to learn bass at about 14 or 15 and I kept reading in guitar magazines how influential these guys were.  I was in a Borders one day (Remember that place?), and a CD copy of RUBBER SOUL was on display.  I put on the pair of headphones and “Drive My Car” started playing.  I’ve been a fan ever since.

This is considered to be the start of The Beatles mature period and I can see it.  Every song a Beatles original and every track pretty strong, though some obviously better than others.  Still, even the weaker songs, “Wait” and “What Goes On” are pretty cool in their own right, just not compared to the rest of the album.  In its American version, the consistency of this album inspired Brian Wilson to make the classic PET SOUNDS, which in turn inspired SGT. PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND.  So yeah, a lot of cool music came from this.  Thematically, John is especially getting more introspective lyrically in songs like “Nowhere Man,” “In My Life,” and “Girl” while “Norwegian Wood” is about having a one night stand with a girl and burning the place down after she leaves.  A far cry from “Love Me Do.”  “In My Life” is one of the most beautiful songs about getting older there ever is, amazingly poignant.  Paul is writing good stuff too, rocking out with “Drive My Car” and writing his most sophisticated ballad yet with “Michelle.”  Even George gets in on the action with “Think For Yourself” and the Byrds like “If I Needed Someone.”  Going forward, he would be contributing many more great songs.

Sound wise, the adventures are picking up.  Yes, that’s a sitar on “Norwegian Wood.”  An Indian instrument George heard on the set of HELP! that really inspired a lifelong musical and spiritual journey for him.  The use of sitar here is more for sonic color than anything else.  What it lacks in virtuosity it more than makes up for in sound.  There’s also some distorted bass on “Think For Yourself” (Paul, and The Ox, begat Lemmy), some Hammond Organ on a few tracks, including Ringo on “I’m Looking Through You” (like Jon Lord of Deep Purple - a later friend and session man of George Harrison) and some really top notch bass playing by Paul.  Sonically and playing wise, Paul really improves here.  He always points with pride, rightfully so, to the counterpoint playing at the intro to “Michelle.”  I’ll throw in props to the funky syncopated playing in “The Word” and the gorgeous melodic lines he plays in the verses of “Nowhere Man” and the criminally underrated Paul pop gem, “You Won’t See Me.”

Two of my three favorite Beatles songs of all time are from this era.  One of them is “Nowhere Man.”  The lyrics, the three part vocal harmonies, the bass and that tasteful George Harrison guitar solo, complete with that little harmonic at the end, are so incredible.  The other song?  Not on the album.  The Beatles also released a double A side 45 on the same day as the album “Day Tripper” and “We Can Work it Out.”  Both classics.  The former, as far as I can gather, is about a stripper on LSD - I could be wrong.  What I do know is that it has one of the more iconic guitar riffs in rock music.  Yet it’s “We Can Work It Out” that makes my top three.  Gorgeous Paul melody and sentiment with John pitching in his bit in the bridge.  I love the contrast and this song moves me every time.

Obviously a great album and things continue to be amazing from here.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

A great album, one that has a mixture of their older style and also of what was to come. "Drive My Car" and "The Word" are catchy, rocking songs that are more like the Beatlemania period. "Run for Your Life" is too, but the lyrics are definitely not what you'd expect from early Beatles. "Norwegian Wood" also has questionable content, but I really like the music of that song. "You Won't See Me" and "Wait" are both songs I like, but I noticed they sound pretty similar. "In My Life" was my favorite Beatles song when I was a kid, I still like that song. Probably the best song about getting old. "Day Tripper" is one of my favorite songs by The Beatles, it sounds The Rolling Stones were influenced by it for "Jumpin' Jack Flash". "We Can Work it Out" is an enjoyable folk rock song, thanks for mentioning it because I don't think I've hear it before.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"Rubber Soul" marks the beginning of the Beatles as a mature and endlessly creative studio force — no concert or film commitments this time around. The result is the group's best album since "A Hard Day's Night" (there are no dead spots) with several essential Lennon-McCartney classics and Harrison's finest compositions to date. Definitely one of the greats.

Interesting story about the final track, "Run for Your Life." Lennon called it his "least favorite Beatles song," though Harrison strongly disagreed. John also admitted that he lifted the line "I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man" from Elvis Presley's "Baby, Let's Play House" with no repercussions. However, Lennon would later run into copyright-infringement issues on "Come Together" when he used the lyric "Here come ol' flattop" from Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me." He settled the case out of court with Big Seven Music in 1973 — agreeing to record "You Can't Catch Me" and two other Big Seven songs on his "Rock 'n' Roll" album.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Arguably the true transitional album for the Beatles. You can tell just with the first two tracks. “Drive My Car” feels like a standard early Beatles track. It’s a very good one, mind you (love the “Beep! Beeps!”), but this also would not have totally been out of place on something like BEATLES FOR SALE. Then it’s followed by “Norwegian Wood”, which introduces Beatles fans to the sitar, an instrument worked on some Beatles songs, not so much on others. This is a case where it does work, giving the song a unique feel, one that’s not strictly rooted in American or British music; you certainly can’t link Elvis or Carl Perkins to this group based on this song alone.

Actually, that’s the thing about a lot of the ballads this time around: they all have a feeling of being inspired by various types of world music. Ballads like “Nowhere Man”, “Michelle” (which was actually an early McCartney melody matched with new lyrics) and “Girl” really feel like they’ve broadened their outlook in terms of the melodies and the production styles. That’s not to say the Beatles’ more familiar style was forgotten, though. Songs like “I’m Looking Through You” still showed they were interested in pursuing rock, but even then, it still feels like it’s evolved in a way compared to previous albums.

Harrison gets two songs again. “If I Needed Someone” is probably the more well known one, and I do enjoy that one, but for me, “Think for Yourself” is the more interesting of the two; that distorted bass is really cool and Harrison nails that lead vocal.

Like HomokHarcos, I also noticed that “Wait” and “You Won’t See Me” sounded kind of similar (“Wait also reminds me a bit of “Every Little Thing” in the chorus), but I still like both tracks. The guitar on “The Word” also reminded me a bit of “Taxman”, though unlike “Taxman”, I could never get into “The Word” for some reason. The harmonies on that one just sound off to me, not up to the usual Lennon-McCartney standard. Although “The Word” comes close, I do think “Run for Your Life” is the weakest track here. The standard production combined with the overly-dark lyrics just doesn’t work for me (“Norwegian Wood” was just as dark, but it wasn’t as blatant). “What Goes On” is usually listed as the weakest, but I do think it’s a fun song; it’s an early Lennon song so it’s a bit harder to be harsh on it.

As for my favorite song? “Think for Yourself” comes close, but in the end I do think I slightly prefer “In My Life”. The introspective lyrics, the memorable guitar, the piano that sounds like a harpsichord; everything about this song just fits together so well. Like how “Yesterday” should have been the closing to HELP!, this should have been the closing to RUBBER SOUL.

DAY TRIPPER and WE CAN WORK IT OUT are also both great songs. I find the riff to DAY TRIPPER to be much more memorable, but WE CAN WORK IT OUT is still cool with its constantly changing tempo.

Offline metaldams

Fun video.  Revolver coming soon.  I subscribe to the Almost Human channel and this guy does tons of these.  He has the same musical tastes as me in general.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Next up on the oh so predictable but satisfying, “It’s a Beatles album, of course it’s good” discussion is REVOLVER.  It was the last Beatles album recorded while they were a touring band, though I think the only song played live from these sessions was “Paperback Writer.”  Hey, if you guys want to research the set lists and tell me they played “Doctor Robert” in the Philippines, I’ll believe you.  But yeah, the material recorded here is obviously harder to replicate live in some cases and The Beatles were transitioning into a strict studio band.  This was at the time of John’s Jesus comment and the Bible Belt outrage, barely surviving the Philippines and just being sick and tired of playing for screaming girls who didn’t hear a thing they did and didn’t care.  My Mom saw The Beatles both times they played Shea Stadium.  She confirmed with me she couldn’t hear a thing but was happy just to see them.  That may make money, but as a musician, hardly a satisfying experience.

REVOLVER is the most brilliant Beatles album to date and arguably their best overall.  There was a time when it was my favorite but a future album has surpassed it , but really, can you go wrong with naming any album from RUBBER SOUL on as the best?   George has stated this and RUBBER SOUL and REVOLVER are like a volume one and two, but I just don’t see it.  The late Beatlemania probably just gelled in George’s mind, but while the former is quieter and more roots oriented and reflective, REVOLVER is delving into, at certain points, psychedelic and experimental.

I’ll start with George here, who gets three songs here.  “Taxman” is a brilliant song about the ridiculous tax rate going on in England, reflected in the future when mega bands like The Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull and Deep Purple would purposely record outside their home land to avoid such tax.  In addition to George’s fantastic lyrics and melody, we get Paul’s classic funk bass playing and guitar solo.  Yes, that’s Paul on lead, as it was on “Drive My Car.”  “I Want To Tell You” is a great song even if it stands out the least of George’s on this album - later covered by Ted Nugent, of all people!  Finally, there’s “Love You Too.”  That use of sitar on “Norwegian Wood?” Mere window dressing compared to the all out Indian assault we get here.  Real Indian musicians and instrumentation throughout, a true classic.  George would neglect his guitar over the next few years for the sitar, hence Paul taking more leads in the near future.

John is straight into psychedelic stuff and drugs.  I love the dream like “I’m Only Sleeping.”  Beautiful vibe and melody and the first use of backwards guitar, later explored by Hendrix and even Metallica (intro to “Blackened”).  “She Said, She Said” and “Doctor Robert” are more John drug songs and both classics.  The former has fantastic drumming from Ringo and actually has George on bass.  Paul does not play a note on the song, apparently getting into an argument with the band on the day of recording.  “Tomorrow Never Knows” is the John masterpiece. A one chord psychedelic romp where John sings stuff from the Tibetan book of the dead, if I’m not mistaken and gets George Martin to give him some really cool vocal effect.  All the band members were exploring cutting analog tape together from different types of soundtracks to get random experimental noises, so that’s where all the sound effects come from.  Like I said, impossible to do live.  I also love “And Your Bird Can Sing,” Paul and George doing dual guitar harmonies years before Thin Lizzy and Iron Maiden would perfect the style.

Paul is also highly inspired here.  The bass playing just keeps getting fatter and tastier and the songs are all top notch.  “For No One” and “Here, There and Everywhere” are gorgeous Paul ballads.  The former has a horn melody that no doubt inspired Ozzy Osbourne’s “Goodbye to Romance.”  “Got To Get You Into My Life” is a cool jazz rocker that sounds like a trial run for early Chicago and “Good Day Sunshine” is a bright and cheery moment that adds to the diversity of the album.  On the not bright and cheery, but somber and epically awesome is the masterpiece “Eleanor Rigby.”  Fantastic lyrics, string arrangements and melody, such an unbelievable piece of music which my words can’t do justice.  Ringo gets to sing the awesome child song and sound effect pastiche “Yellow Submarine,” which rounds out an album of 14 little islands that offer constant diversity, fascination and influence to bands in the future, even exploring future sub genres.  A true masterpiece.

As far as singles go, we get “Paperback Writer” with the b-side “Rain.”  Both classics and both have some of the best bass and drum work Paul and Ringo ever laid down on tape.  Remember when I said I learned “Help” on bass when I first started playing?  The same guitar magazine also had a transcription of “Paperback Writer.”  Couldn’t handle that one at the time, a bit more difficult.  Also, I heard “Last Train to Clarksville” from The Monkees as a kid.  When I heard “Paperback Writer,” I then knew what The Monkees were inspired by.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

For all the praise lavished on "Sgt. Pepper," it is "Revolver" that endures as the finest Beatles album. From "Taxman" to "Tomorrow Never Knows," every track shines in timeless fashion. "Revolver" has no self-indulgences or throwaways — it's a beautifully crafted work that reveals the group's symbiotic energy and creativity. Decades later, "Revolver" remains among the landmark recordings of the 20th century.

Extra Trivia:  The only Beatle album in which George has the opening track.

Offline HomokHarcos

One of the greatest albums of all time. I could give a recommendation for each track. "Taxman", which starts off the album is an excellent opener and you can tell the album had influenced several other musicians from the late 1960s and 1970s. "Eleanor Rigby" is a baroque song I like, I might change my mind when I give the later albums a new listen, but I found it much better having a few songs in that style instead of the whole album. "Love You To" is a very cool sitar song, and along with "Taxman" I've noticed how much I like George Harrison's vocals. "Here, There, and Everywhere" is a 1950s and early 1950s influenced pop song. "She Said She Said": I'm not sure what style it is, but I really like it. "Good Day Sunshine" was my sister's favorite song when she was a child, I've never noticed it before, but it has a ragtime feel. "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Doctor Robert" are catchy songs that remind me of the Beatlemania period. As a jazz fan I really like the brass section in "Got to Get You Into My Life". "Tomorrow Never Knows" is one of those songs that give me an out of this world experience, it might have been made on drugs but you don't need them to get that feeling just listening to this song. "Paperback Writer": excellent hard rock song that is unlike any song on Revolver.

Excellent period of creativity for The Beatles.

Offline Umbrella Sam

REVOLVER is Paul McCartney’s album. Yes, I’m aware it’s a Beatles album and, sure, the other Beatles have great moments as well (more on that later), but when I think about this album, my first thought goes to the quality of McCartney’s songwriting in particular. “Good Day Sunshine” manages to sound like a pop song and something out of vaudeville at the same time. “Got to Get You into My Life” finds him rocking out hard and delivering a great vocal. “Here, There and Everywhere” recalls the 1940s with its backing vocals and is a super effective ballad. “Eleanor Rigby” is, of course, a classic, with its haunting vocals and strings. These songs alone would be a great showcase of McCartney’s work.

And then there’s “For No One”. This is one of my absolute favorite Beatles songs, probably top 3. It’s one of those great examples where you can tell so much with so little. The whole song consists of Paul, Ringo and Alan Civil on French Horn, and yet despite this small lineup, they create this incredibly full sound that’s just full of atmosphere. McCartney was only in his early 20s when he wrote this, and yet he sounds like someone who has lived a long life and seen many things. The piano is beautiful, McCartney nails the solo vocal and Ringo keeps a steady beat that actually does fit the song. It’s weird, with a lot of ballads I find musicians like to go light on the drums, but I feel they can be really effective when used right, and Ringo seems perfectly placed here.

Alright, now that my praising of McCartney is over, how do the other Beatles do? Ringo sings one song, “Yellow Submarine”, one of his most known songs and definitely a catchy one. George gets three originals. “Taxman” is a great rock song and definitely the right choice for the opener. “I Want to Tell You” is cool too; I like how the piano makes everything kind of sound disorienting, as though the pressure is becoming too much for everyone involved. I like the sitar on “Love You To”, especially the way it combines with the tabla at the end and gets faster, but the actually melody itself is not particularly memorable.

Finally, there’s Lennon. “She Said She Said” and “I’m Only Sleeping” are both great, especially the guitar ending of the latter, which really feels ahead of its time. My favorite Lennon song here is “And Your Bird Can Sing”, which has a really awesome dual guitar part and is super catchy; it’s way better than Lennon gave it credit for. Unfortunately, Lennon loses my interest near the end. “Doctor Robert” is forgettable. “Tomorrow Never Knows”...I know there’s a crowd for it, but I’m not in it. Every time I listen to it, it just sounds like a bunch of noise that gets grating quickly. Not the way I would have liked to have ended an otherwise mostly really good album.

“Paperback Writer” is another great rock song, definitely the choice for the A-side. I used to really dislike the B-side, “Rain”, but I like it now, mostly for the guitar. Honestly, I probably would have put it on the album instead of “Tomorrow Never Knows”

Offline metaldams

I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s opinions, some well written and thoughtful stuff.  Thanks guys.

As far as going forward, here’s how I’m approaching this.  There will be no entry for the Yellow Submarine soundtrack and Magical Mystery Tour is an EP the way The Beatles intended it.  I will discuss the Yellow Submarine tracks in correspondence to the era recorded.

As far as Magical Mystery Tour, I am making a separate entry.  Between the EP and a and b side single tracks between Sgt. Pepper and The White Album, there’s about an album’s worth of material. 

So that’s my plan of tackling the upcoming era.  Next entry should be sometime this eeekend.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

The touring is now over so from this point forward, The Beatles are now strictly a studio band.  The first result of this phase?  Some album called SGT. PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND.  There was a time a few decades back when this was called the greatest Beatles album and even the greatest album of all time.  These days, it’s hip to call one of the other later Beatles albums, usually REVOLVER or ABBEY ROAD the best, but in the end, none of this matters.  SGT. PEPPER is another brilliant piece of work that culturally, at the time, signaled this wonderful concept that the album, more so or at the very least, as much as the single, was king.  A concept that lasted until downloading music became the thing and something I wish we could get back to.

While not a full blown concept album like TOMMY, THE WALL, THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY, etc. the seeds for the conceptual album were sown here.  The opening title track is Paul basically being an emcee and at the end, he introduces Ringo “Billy Shears” Starr to sing “With a Little Help From My Friends.”  I guess we’re to assume the rest of the songs play out like a music hall variety show, but the whole concept of the emcee doesn’t return until the title track’s reprise towards the end of the album.  A personal favorite of mine this had to have had some influence on is the highly underrated Who album, THE WHO SELL OUT, released in late 1967.  For about half the album, the concept is you’re listening to a pirate radio station as radio jingles are placed between songs.  There’s a song in this Who album which in turn would influence a future Beatles song, but that’s for a future entry.  But yes, again, bands were very much aware of what other bands were doing back then and the competition influenced them greatly.

As far as songs?  Man, I love every song on here, truly.  As far as George goes, until The White Album, he is playing less guitar and is focusing on the sitar at this point.  His one song on the album is “Within You Without You.”  The Indian instrumentation is more noticeable than even “Love You To” and George is the only Beatle on the track.  Really a sign that The Beatles were becoming less of a band and four very strong individual personalities.

Paul does have more songs than John here, kind of a reverse of the earlier albums.  The absolute stand out to me is “A Day in the Life.”  Remember when I said “Nowhere Man” and “We Can Work it Out” are two of my three favorite Beatle songs?  “A Day in the Life” is the third song.  Interesting in that this is a John song with strong help from Paul in the bridge while “We Can Work it Out” is a Paul song with strong help from John in the bridge.  I love those two working together.  But yeah, John’s vocal in spine chilling beautiful here.  Ringo’s drumming is amazing, extremely compositional and creative and not easy to copy.  The chord changes are great accented by Paul’s rhythmic and melodic bass playing.  Then there is that 24 bar orchestral thing where an entire orchestra goes improvisational.  They have to start and end in the same place, but the bars in between make for some satisfying chaos.

As a bassist, yeah, Paul steps it up a notch again.  Tone wise, I can see the influence from Carol Kaye’s playing on The Beach Boys PET SOUNDS.  My favorite lines are the melodic arpeggiated lines throughout “Lovely Rita,” the driving bass line in “Good Morning Good Morning” and the melodic syncopated lines in “With a Little Help From My Friends.”  Yeah, Paul rules, a huge influence to bassists.

So yes, a fine album overall and not a single weak spot in my eyes.  As far as other songs.?  Well, George did have an outtake that later appeared on the YELLOW SUBMARINE soundtrack called “Only a Northern Song.”  Not as good as any song on the album, I still enjoy it as a light Beatles track.  I like the organ and enjoy George’s bored lyrics, basically copping to the throwaway nature.  Speaking to the fact this is simply a song for the publishing company (Northern Songs).  George, I get the impression, was the guy most of all who wanted out of The Beatles.

Then finally, there’s the double a side single from the session, John’s “Strawberry Fields Forever” and Paul’s “Penny Lane.”  The first Beatles single since “Love Me Do” not to hit number one in the UK charts, making number two.  The six month layoff and people thought The Beatles were about to become washed up.  How times have changed.  Today bands routinely take years between releases.  The quality of the single though is incredible, both songs having some influence from childhood places yet couldn’t sound more different to one another.  John’s song being an epic, droning psychedelic piece pieced from multiple takes that is quite an emotional and musical journey.  The kicker at the end is the whole “I buried Paul” or in reality, “Cranberry sauce” message that has spread gossip for decades.  Paul’s track is a comparatively cheerful, almost victorious sounding song with brass and woodwind instruments and a classic descending walking bass line.  Love the melodic quality and the lyrical nostalgia, classic Paul.  These two tracks combine make my favorite Beatles single and contrast John and Paul’s strong points brilliantly.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" is yet another Beatles landmark, but you haven't truly experienced the album until you listen to its mono version. The group's original mix has more punch, with notable differences on "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," "She's Leaving Home," "Within You Without You" and the reprise of the title song. Definitely superior to the album's 1967 stereo mix (which the group did not supervise).  Producer Giles Martin's 2017 remix combines the best of the mono and stereo mixes.

Imagine if "Sgt. Pepper" had included "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" as originally planned . . .

Offline HomokHarcos

I admit, I'm shocked that you didn't mention Laurel and Hardy or W.C. Fields appearing in the album cover! A twelve year old me read that this was the greatest album of all time, so I gave it a listen, but I didn't have the attention span back then (it wasn't just music, I could rarely ever watch a full movie or complete a video game back then). Just like Citizen Kane, I feel like being called the greatest of all time has actually hurt its reputation to many people, because like Citizen Kane Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a great piece of art. This album has less of a rocking tone and (to me) more of an orchestral, classical influenced style.

"When I'm Sixty-Four" is one of my favorite Beatles songs. I'm not exactly sure what the genre that song would be classified as, but it sounds like a show tune for me. "Lovely Rita" I'm also a fan of because of the piano section. The opening track is a good hook, and the reprise sounds like a remix to me. Even the drum playing sounds like a drum machine, but I know that can't be the case. "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is a song that I've always heard debates about what meaning is. My mom insists it was not a drug reference. "With a Little Help from My Friends" is a great song, and I always was disappointed when I would hear that cover version instead (I don't know who made that version).

"Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" are in a similar style to this album. I happen to really like the ending for "Strawberry Fields Forever". It last only a few seconds.

Offline metaldams

I admit, I'm shocked that you didn't mention Laurel and Hardy or W.C. Fields appearing in the album cover! A twelve year old me read that this was the greatest album of all time, so I gave it a listen, but I didn't have the attention span back then (it wasn't just music, I could rarely ever watch a full movie or complete a video game back then). Just like Citizen Kane, I feel like being called the greatest of all time has actually hurt its reputation to many people, because like Citizen Kane Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a great piece of art. This album has less of a rocking tone and (to me) more of an orchestral, classical influenced style.

"When I'm Sixty-Four" is one of my favorite Beatles songs. I'm not exactly sure what the genre that song would be classified as, but it sounds like a show tune for me. "Lovely Rita" I'm also a fan of because of the piano section. The opening track is a good hook, and the reprise sounds like a remix to me. Even the drum playing sounds like a drum machine, but I know that can't be the case. "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is a song that I've always heard debates about what meaning is. My mom insists it was not a drug reference. "With a Little Help from My Friends" is a great song, and I always was disappointed when I would hear that cover version instead (I don't know who made that version).

"Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" are in a similar style to this album. I happen to really like the ending for "Strawberry Fields Forever". It last only a few seconds.

Even more interesting than who is on the cover comedy wise is who isn’t.  Leo Gorcey of The Bowery Boys was supposed to be there too, but he wanted too much money so he was taken off.

As far as the other version of “With a Little Help From My Friends,” you’re probably thinking Joe Cocker.  Being a child of the 80’s, that was for years the only version of the song I knew - it was the theme song for the show THE WONDER YEARS.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Wanted to again apologize for my lengthy absence. Once again, I’ve been super busy lately, but I will try to catch up on both this and the short subjects discussion as soon as I can (probably won’t do the Andy Clyde shorts, but I am interested in checking those Hugh Herbert shorts out).

Also, staying somewhat on topic, I am really looking forward to the Get Back movie finally getting released this week. That will take precedence for me this weekend, but if I have time otherwise, I’ll see about catching up here.

Offline metaldams

Wanted to again apologize for my lengthy absence. Once again, I’ve been super busy lately, but I will try to catch up on both this and the short subjects discussion as soon as I can (probably won’t do the Andy Clyde shorts, but I am interested in checking those Hugh Herbert shorts out).

Also, staying somewhat on topic, I am really looking forward to the Get Back movie finally getting released this week. That will take precedence for me this weekend, but if I have time otherwise, I’ll see about catching up here.

Hey man, take your time, I know how life can get in the way.  I gotta catch up too.  If I get to the Magical Mystery Tour era (hoping this weekend) before you get to Sgt. Pepper, obviously you can still do your Sgt. Pepper review first. 

I’m looking forward to Get Back as well.  I think I’m watching it with a friend, I don’t get the Disney channel.

I’m not sure if it’s still on Hulu, but there was an incredible multi part interview of Paul McCartney talking to Rick Rubin - who has produced everything from metal bands, Johnny Cash, early rap and other stuff.  It’s fantastic and very music oriented.  They were going over the multi track Beatles tapes, remixing them and talking about them, I was in Heaven. Check it out if you can.
- Doug Sarnecky