Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Status of Columbia's Two-Reel short subjects

<< < (2/2)

metaldams:
Paul, Homok, do you guys have the book THE COLUMBIA COMEDY SHORTS by Ted Okuda and Edward Watz?  If not, I highly suggest it.  I was in my early twenties when I read it, only really knew The Stooges at that point and it was my first time reading about Chase, Keaton, Langdon and so many others.

But more importantly, it’s the definitive word on Columbia shorts.  Lots of biographical stuff and all the films and series are covered.

Paul Pain:

--- Quote from: HomokHarcos on May 15, 2021, 04:32:00 PM ---This is what I really hate about works not being in the public domain. A lot of these films are obscure to the general public, so Columbia sees not point in releasing them because they most likely won't make much money off of them. But, they still take them down from the internet. There are many people (like us on this board) who would actually pay for these to be released.

I wonder if we'll get to reviewing the Andy Clyde series. That was Columbia's second longest running short series after The Three Stooges.

--- End quote ---

As I said in the original post, my goal is to review as many of these Columbia shorts as possible.  We'll get to Andy Clyde as well  ;D

Paul Pain:

--- Quote from: metaldams on May 15, 2021, 06:56:47 PM ---Paul, Homok, do you guys have the book THE COLUMBIA COMEDY SHORTS by Ted Okuda and Edward Watz?  If not, I highly suggest it.  I was in my early twenties when I read it, only really knew The Stooges at that point and it was my first time reading about Chase, Keaton, Langdon and so many others.

But more importantly, it’s the definitive word on Columbia shorts.  Lots of biographical stuff and all the films and series are covered.

--- End quote ---

I do not have it although I wish I did.

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Paul Pain on May 16, 2021, 06:12:18 PM ---I do not have it although I wish I did.

--- End quote ---

Definitely put it on your birthday or to buy list for sure.

HomokHarcos:

--- Quote from: metaldams on May 16, 2021, 07:05:41 PM ---Definitely put it on your birthday or to buy list for sure.

--- End quote ---
I got the book in my collection. When it was written in the 1980s, Ted Okuda was saying to the general public it was impossible to watch any of them except for The Three Stooges. Another good book to have is the one about short subjects written by Leonard Maltin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version