Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

A Fool and His Honey (1952) - Wally Vernon & Eddie Quillan

<< < (2/2)

Paul Pain:

--- Quote from: metaldams on May 12, 2021, 05:42:19 PM ---...and here I was thinking some of those early fifties Stooge titles didn’t age well.

--- End quote ---

I... don't... even...  ;D

metaldams:
Frank Sully’s girl is credited as Diana Mumby on IMDb.  Looks more like Diana Darrin to me.  Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Life isn’t fair.  47 year old Wally Vernon gets to go out with a bunch of young girls and come home to his wife - Jean Willes.  Meanwhile, Emil Sitka, age 38, plays an old Dad to a pretty young girl.  Amazing how Emil usually played older than he was.

Another domestic confusion short, but what’s interesting about this one is that the two comedians are the rivals here.  These two are energetic enough and carry this thing, and I agree with Paul the dancing was quite funny at the beginning.  The stunts at the end though - no way that was them.  Too many long shots.  The problem here is a good portion of the climatic physical comedy involved stunt doubles - never a good thing.

Crazy watching Jean Willes take a straight punch from Vernon and yes, some more Johnny Kaschier action in this one.  That guy deserves a plaque at Columbia.  Not too much to say about the short itself other than it’s better than it has a right to be, a testament to the energy the comedians bring forth.

As far as Eddie Quillan at Sennett - when Harry Langdon left Sennett, Quillian was used as a Langdon impersonator the way Billy West and others did for Chaplin.  Straight forward Langdon shorts without Harry Langdon.  I guess Quillian had the right face and Sennett tried to continue what he had with Langdon.

Paul Pain:
Diana Mumby

And...

Diana Darrin

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Paul Pain on May 16, 2021, 06:07:36 PM ---Diana Mumby

And...

Diana Darrin

--- End quote ---

I guess it is Ms. Mumby, who has darker hair in this short.  The Columbia Comedy Shorts book lists her and I remember Diana Darrin was only seventeen when HE COOKED HIS GOOSE was filmed.  This short was filmed even before that.  Really had me fooled, though.

HomokHarcos:
The first reel I was thinking that it seems pretty subtle for a Columbia comedy, then the second reel went the slapstick route. The acrobatics part was impressive, if not necessarily funny (I haven't watched any Lupino Lane, but I heard it could be the same for him). I doubt that was actually them jumping around. It actually went the opposite way of what I was expecting, right before the note arrives it is Eddie's wife that is complaining to him, so I thought she would find the letter, but then it instead involves him finding the letter. Funny that he goes out with other woman while wanting to kill his friend for thinking she is doing the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version