Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Canon

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I suppose the Comedy III folks have an "official" list of episodes, and possibly even another "official" transcript of each as well. But recently watching Three Stooges Episodes here and there on YouTube and other venues, I have seen different websites use different copies of the same episode. For instance, there are many television stations airing Three Stooges episodes at different times of day just because their run time matches the leftover time of a movie's they are airing that day. However, sometimes they need to edit out a minute or two of the episode to fit the leftover timeslot, or to allow for a commercial break. This got me to wondering if there actually was an official canon of Three Stooges Episodes that us adoring fans can hold a measuring stick up next to the ones we see being used as filler time and the like.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline metaldams

I would imagine the official canon is simply what is released in the eight volume DVD sets Sony released years ago.  As far as I know, completely unedited and shown just like the initial theatrical release.

It is the only way I’ve watched The Three Stooges for well over a decade.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Before my cable company dropped "MeTV," I used to occasionally watch their Saturday night block of the Stooges, but I didn't notice or remember any edits, except for when they would show of one the "Mini-episodes" that were trimmed to 5 minutes.

I also believe MeTV kept the Columbia logo intro that was used for the 1946-1949 episodes as released on the official DVDS....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Mark The Shark

Regarding the mid-1940s shorts with the added silent Columbia logo at the beginning: I noticed that every one of those uses the "cursive" Three Stooges name logo on the main title, which does not include the words "Columbia Pictures Corporation presents," and Columbia's name appears nowhere in the main or end titles. I don't think that's a coincidence. But those silent Columbia intros look more like the 1960s era than the 1940s.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
So, from what I read from you posters is, that, there IS NO canon from which we can draw from other than Camedy III Productions, that there MAY be a movie release that might be available or vice versa. ???

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I only wonder about this when I buy an "original" dvd collection of Stooge episodes .... where did they get their copies? Are they originals? Comedy 3 would have a say in that sales event I think.

Offline metaldams

So, from what I read from you posters is, that, there IS NO canon from which we can draw from other than Camedy III Productions, that there MAY be a movie release that might be available or vice versa. ???

The official cannon is what’s on DVD from Sony.  No edits, good prints, complete and as released in theaters.

As far as transcripts, there’s some website run by some muttonhead named Rob, www.three stooges.net that has transcripts of the shorts.  Below is a Woman Haters example, when on the page, you’ll find a transcripts link.

Unless if I’m misunderstanding your question, I think this should be what you’re looking for.

https://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/1/MLC
- Doug Sarnecky

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
And it also reminds me of the MANY times our boys appeared on TV, what "canon" is afforded to that?

Offline metaldams

I only wonder about this when I buy an "original" dvd collection of Stooge episodes .... where did they get their copies? Are they originals? Comedy 3 would have a say in that sales event I think.

Comedy III does not own the shorts.  Sony, who bought Columbia’s back catalog, does.  Pretty official, I don’t know how you can top that.
- Doug Sarnecky

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I know about transcripts .... did a few for several of the original Star Trek movies and posted them "somewhere" ... (a site I no longer visit}

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Comedy III does not own the shorts.  Sony, who bought Columbia’s back catalog, does.  Pretty official, I don’t know how you can top that.

So, my 2001 copy of Jean Derita SIGNED Official Three Stooges Club Member is now the property of Sony?

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Maybe a better question is, does Comedy 3 still exist?

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I know that ThreeStooges.com is there selling their coffee and tshirts and calendars, and promoting CurlyG (the grandson of Curly) .... but is THAT the limit of Comedy 3's reach? If so, then ALL THE LUCK to them!

Offline metaldams

I know that ThreeStooges.com is there selling their coffee and tshirts and calendars, and promoting CurlyG (the grandson of Curly) .... but is THAT the limit of Comedy 3's reach? If so, then ALL THE LUCK to them!

Comedy III - Owns the likeness of The Three Stooges and can sell merchandise.

Sony - Owns the old Columbia films, which includes any film made at Columbia by The Three Stooges.

Comedy III can sell t shirts and coffee mugs, Sony can’t. 

Sony can sell a copy of A PLUMBING WE WILL GO, based on buying the film prints Columbia had in their vaults.  Comedy III can’t sell you a copy of A PLUMBING WE WILL GO.

Since Sony owns the rights to the films, the DVD’s they sell, based on materials they bought from Columbia, are the official canon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I agree with everything metaldams says here.  C3 owns the Three Stooges films as much as I do: not at all.
#1 fire kibitzer

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Wow, then ALL this promotional crap Curly G (Curly's Grandson)  is doing in cohorts with Larry's Great Grandson (can't remember his name) is ALL for the furtherance of Curly G's and Larry G's ability's to use the Internet to get money from us adoring fans? ,,,, what a America we live in!!!